Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First post, looking for first boat!

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62106

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
ERIC, :WELCOME. Being in Calif , there should be a good selection
of boats.. The last two I bought were orig owner ESTATE items, & that is
sure gravy way to go ... I heard CaLIF CAN BE HARD ON PAPERWORK & EXPIRED
hull sticker tags..If one has to pay 8 - 10 years of back reg fees (?) that may add up . . You dont say how old your sons are.. If still small a bigger boat with high sides <(Free Board) may give the wife security.
... If they are 15 - 16 sjure they will vote for the speeder G-3 , but that could be a 2nd addition.. Value going forward.

Let us know how clean the esstate rig is. We like pictures..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62107

Thanks for the welcome.

The boys are young, 5 and 7. Talked a little more with the guy on the $100 boat, there is no interior. The floors are solid. Motor has 115-120psi in each cylinder. He has not attempted to start It's a 1968 or so, a bit older than I thought. Cable shift Johnson so that's a plus. Pink's in hand, registration current.

Fiberform has current registration on boat and trailer as well. Not sure how I feel about those mid 70's 3 cylinder mercs, but the price is right and it was well maintained before sitting.

I'm looking at the $100 boat and the original owner Fiberform tomorrow morning.

You are right about the selection. Within 50 miles there are hundreds of boats to choose from in the under $1000 price range

For sure there will be pics!

Eric

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62111

I don't see a problem. It depends on which one of these three boats you buy first. When you get bitten by the bug you have to have them all. Perhaps you have not been bitten yet. One thing for sure is I'd snap up the boat that's been in storage if it was stored properly.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62116

I've been bitten for a long time, finally taking the plunge. I'm the same way with unusual old cars, and old tools. All kinds of stuff. It's probably a good thing I have a limited amount of space to fill...

Eric

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62117

Here's a pic from the for sale ad. This is the fiberform.
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62118

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
That fiberform looks pretty nice for the money- The trailer alone looks to be worth that! Buy it, enjoy it, and keep looking for that classic that you REALLY want...

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62127

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Wish I could find a Fiberform like that, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

Is that a Vee-hull model? Think they called them the "Mosquito". A buddy of mine had one like that, with an old 90hp Selectric V4.

I had an older '69 Fiberform 14' with the same V-hull as his, and ended up installing a '64 Merc 850 with 100hp carbs & exhaust manifold.

He could *almost* keep up with me if he tilted the motor out real far, but normally I would run away from him. We sure had a lot of fun with those boats, and I recall one calm morning going 50mph down the lake with a 23" speed prop. Those were the days, when you could afford the gas to run that fast!!!

The Merc 700 Triple should push the little 14' OK. With a 650-4 my 14' would run 37 mph in the lake. You'll have to prop the Triple to achieve proper Wide Open Throtle rpm, you can't lug those motors.

If you get it, pull the plugs, oil up the cylinders with WD or Marvel Mystery Oil, and do a compression check. If the readings are within 5 psi, it's worth messing with. A new impeller is mandatory and you should also check to see where the telltale hose connects to the block.

If it comes out of the exhaust manifold cover or the back of the block, that hole should be plugged and a new hole drilled/tapped for a 1/8" NPT fitting at the top of the block. This'll ensure you get a block full of water at all times.

G'luck with the purchase and let's see some more pics when she's yours.........ed

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62138

Looked at the Fiberform in person, as expected it is in good condition but being there in person you find small flaws not visible from photos. It's still very nice, solid as a rock. A good polishing would really make it stand out. After last use it was "winterized" so it should relatively easy to get it up and running again. Comes with the usual boat extras: waterskis, life vests, bumpers, anchor, some fishing gear, cover, a trailer dolley, etc. I brought my entire budget with me, but it's short of the asking price. She has 1 more person looking at it and if he isn't there by noon (1 hour and 23 minutes) it's mine.

Cross your fingers for me.

Eric

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62139

And I just got the call......

IT'S MINE!!!

Going to pick it up here in a few minutes, just have to get the trailer wiring straightened out on my Jeep.

Eric

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62140

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Congrats- Looks like you got a good deal!

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62142

Only thing I forgot to mention, really the only notable flaw. It will need a prop.

Where is the best place to order parts? I already have a bunch of stuff in a shopping cart at Iboats. I checked a couple prices at the local boat shop but they are way expensive and not very nice. I think they might be over list on Mercury parts, lol.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62147

Etcerera,

OH, WOE is YOU!
(you've been INFECTED with "boatitis" as the rest here are.)

WELCOME to the GLASSICS addiction = we all may need a 12-step program, lest we run out of room to park TOYS.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62149

Now you and your kids can enjoy this one while the real classic one can be done at a nice slow pace. Good score.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62154

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yeah, You're in for it now...

IBoats has good prices. Another place I frequent is Boaters Plus-

www.boatersplus.com/

They are just down the road from me- And prices are VERY competitive on many items.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62183

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
another place i look is here on the forums. so far i've had by far the best luck from other members on here. if you don't mind a used part, lots of folks on here have dozens of this or that lying around. plus, whatever you end up paying is pretty much guaranteed to go right back into their classic boat, so it's a double win!

congrats on the boat!

also, i'd suggest investing in a comfy couch. you may be sleeping on it frequently. :lol:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62184

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
eBay or Craigslist.

There should be no shortage of burnt-up 70hp and earlier 65hp Triples so you should be able to find lots of parts!!!!

If I'm not mistaken the props for similar-vintages of 40 & 50hp models should fit as well. Important thing is to note the number of splines on the propshaft and be sure they match up. 13 splines if I remember correctly.

The 70hp has an "overdrive" lower unit so you don't want a prop with tons of pitch; she needs to rev to live. No larger than a 15" pitch and that may be too big. I bet a 13" would be right in the ballpark.

Congrats on your purchase and let's see some pics!!!

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62234

Thanks for the warm welcome. I ended up not taking it home on Monday. I still didn't have a great spot cleared out to keep it and she was more than happy for it to sit in the garage another few days. It's been there 35 years! If I get home in time I will bring it home tomorrow night.

Here are the other 3 pictures from the craigslist ad.
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62236

I guess 1 pic per post? No problem!
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62237

And the last one for now. Not the greatest interior shot. The passenger seat has a small tear right at the top. Lots of boating stuff piled in there, can't wait to use some of it.
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62257

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
if you want to post more than one pic in a post, you have to add just one pic, hit submit, let it post, and then edit to add 1 more. repeat as necessary.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62483

So the boat is home. Ended up getting it for a bit less than I thought I would. $400 and she paid the transfer fees at the DMV.

Spent a few hours cleaning and polishing. I'm very happy with it. Used Mcquires swirl remover, really did a nice job cleaning up the finger marks and brightening the gelcoat.

For the heck of it I threw a charger on the battery that has been sitting for 8 years. It actually took a charge. I'll probably replace it anyways, but it's nice to be able to test all the stuff.

All the electrical works. The battery cable to the motor needs to be replaced. The insulation falls off if you look at it wrong. It's duplex cable, if I can find some I will use it, otherwise it will get regular 4 awg cable which I already have.

I found a useable spare propeller under one of the seats, that's nice.

Added some fluid to the power tilt. So it would go all the way up.

Tires are in good shape.

I sprayed some 2 stroke oil into the carbs and cranked it over with the pull rope. Also squirted some into the cylinders. Feels good and no surprises under the hood.

I might get a chance to do the impeller tomorrow, but don't want to spend all day working on it again. Not exactly in the dog house with my wife, but I don't want to push it, lol.

Here's a few pics after cleanup. It's 1 in the morning, pictures could be better I guess.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62484

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' good there Etc., I'd say she's shinning up pretty nice! IMHO you got a very reasonable deal, looking forward to seeing some "on the water" shots.

PS - Good plan on the "better half", you wanna keep them smiling if you can. :)

Mark

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62557

• capy235
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No matter how good the tires look, if they are that old the sidewalls have weakened considerably. There is a way to date code them based on the sidewall imprint. Any trailer tire older than 10 years should be replaced regardless of how much tread remains. Hate to have a blown tire destroy such a great find. Enjoy!

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62569

Good call on the tires. I won't take it on any highway before I get new ones. That'll also give me a chance to put the matching rims on the trailer with the hubcaps. The spare rim is mounted with a new tire and the hubcap doesn't fit. They'll be cheap anyways, 14 inchers.

Spent a bit of time last night cleaning more of the boat. Found that CLR on a rag does an excellent job or removing calcium deposits from the motor. It looks darn near new. Generic Mr Clean Magic Erasures get all the dirt off the fiberglass, even the dirt inside of small scratches. Diluted Purple power is doing an excellent job cleaning the textured vinyl on the floor. I'm wiping it on with a wet rag, scrubbing with a short brisle brush, rinsing with a fresh wet rag, then drying. Don't really want that stuff in the bottom of the boat under the floor.

Going to try and start the engine before the weekend. Got my impeller kit, and other odds and ends in a package today. Checked battery voltage today, held at 12.4 volts overnight. Ran the starter motor for the first time while my buddy squirted a bit more seafoam in the carbs, seems to work correctly. Going to see how it runs without doing the carbs, I might get lucky.

That's all for now.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62635

So I was at the junk yard today, poking around. Found a van with a wheel chair lift. The hydraulic pump/reservoir/solenoid setup looks exactly the same as the tilt trim unit for my Mercury. This one looked pretty bad so I didn't grab it. Kept looking around. Found a lift gate on the back of a pickup with exactly the same unit as the wheel chair lift. Both the truck and the van were from the 80's.

Just a possible source for parts/spares for people with these units.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62645

That is a great thing to know. Good thinking.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62646

Great find, but I do have one question. Is that a built-in gas tank? Is it fiberglass? If so, you could end up with some serious problems from the ethanol in gas. Might want to consider using portable tanks instead if it is a problem. ENjoy

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62648

• MarkS
Good point Todd. It looks just like the Tempo brand tank that was in the bow of the CVX. Looked great on the outside, but full of rust on the inside. Whatever the case, I'd agree that it definitely needs to be checked carefully before using it. ;)

Mark

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62663

Thanks for the heads up on the tank, didn't even think to check. When I got home I checked it first thing, it's pretty darn clean. I drained what little gas was in there a few days ago and it was clean also. It's a steel tank.

I did find a couple wires that need replacing in the engine. About 3 inches of the wire that goes to the solenoid was corroded and the insulation was cracking off. Also the last inch or 2 of the wire that comes from the stator and goes to the rectifier need to be replaced. Luckily I can get to them easily and there is still good wire to splice into.

Ended up buying a battery, the one that it came with could be used it a pinch but it was pretty weak. Didn't really want to practice pull starting in the middle of a lake.

It's coming together. I made a test barrel from a 55 gallon drum. I'll do the impeller today once it cools off a bit.

I'm not sure I want to do it, but I think it would look really sharp with a pair of white/powder blue buckets up and a matching bench in the back. Maybe next year...

Eric

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62669

I hope I didn't screw anything up, guess I'll find out soon. I left the key in the on position yesterday. If I understand how the ignition works then I should be ok. It also confirmed that my hour meter works, it went from 151 hours to 170, lol.

This thing really cranks over nice with the new battery.

I have a machine that makes cut vinyl stickers, thinking of making something for the center of the steering wheel. Any ideas? need to cover that up somehow. Probably had a 70's vinyl wood veneer there originally, just like the dash does.
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62675

If you could see me you would be looking at the happiest person with a boat. Impeller installed. Check. Fresh gas mixed and poured. Check. Cut down 55 gallon barrel in position and filled with water. Check. Fuel line connected and spark plugs torqued. Check. Primed. Check!

Pushed cold start lever forward, held choke button. Turned key for about 2 seconds and it fired right up!!! I mixed it a little rich because it's been sitting, so it's a bit smokey. At least at idle in a barrel she runs sweet!

Thanks for the advice given here.

Couple shots.

Here's the setup.

Here she is running at idle after the smoke cleared somewhat. Too bad we don't have mosquitoes because the initial smoke cloud would have cleared them all out.

Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62678

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Lookin' good. Looks like you are going to have a heck of a summer on the water.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 4 months ago #62680

• MarkS
Good for you Eric, looks like you're ready for lake trials. Don't forget to make your little buddy wear his life jacket, and don't forget to put the plug in! :blush: (It only happened once, I swear!) :laugh:

Mark

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 3 months ago #62704

Put a smile on your face, you deserve it. Take the kid fishing or just plain riding.
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 3 months ago #62718

LOL, forgetting the plug is just the kind of thing I'd do. Need to figure out a way to remind myself, maybe a big sign on the winch handle or something...

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 3 months ago #62736

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Etcetera wrote:

LOL, forgetting the plug is just the kind of thing I'd do. Need to figure out a way to remind myself, maybe a big sign on the winch handle or something...

one of the guys here on the forum recommended using one of those "remove before flight" bright orange tags. i'm going to be looking for one of those, myself.

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 3 months ago #62759

The wiring is always shot on those motors. You can save a considerable amount of money by bypassing the plug in the side of the motor and direct wiring. But the wiring inside the motor can set you back hundreds.

Blest boater

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 3 months ago #62764

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
GOOD DEAL AWESOME THREAD !!

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 3 months ago #62796

mtdoragary, If the connector or more of the wiring starts giving me trouble I'll do what you say and wire direct. There is about 3 or 4 feet of extra harness coiled up in the boat. I actually considered doing it anyways, but found the big connector and didn't want to mess with it at this time.

Tested forward and reverse, I might be ready to head out tomorrow. Went to full throttle for a second, boys got a kick out of that. Kind of nice having a barrel full of water to test in. Was very careful to no allow the water level to drop below the intake ports.

I have a question for you guys, not sure if this is right or not.

While running water is coming out of the exhaust ports under where it says 70 HP in the picture. 2 rectangular ports side by side. I don't recall water coming out there during the first test. Some exhaust exits there as well, I assume that is normal.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It's great to have a site like this for a relative newbie like me to rely on. If I can get the honey do list whittled down I'll take it out tomorrow.

Eric
Attachments:

Re:First post, looking for first boat! 12 years 1 month ago #67265

Well, I'm back. I still haven't taken this boat out yet, but it's looking good for tomorrow. I ran it again today and had 2 questions. How warm should the top of the motor get? On the left side (passenger side I guess) there is a weep hole that is part of the side cover. Water weeps from this. I think last time I ran it I had the cover on. Is this normal?

The top of the motor gets warm, not too hot to touch, but hotter than you would want to sit on.

I will have pictures tomorrow.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online