Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Let's talk painting strategy

Let's talk painting strategy 12 years 4 months ago #62094

The sanding is finished on my Hydrodyne and now it's time to get serious about painting. Remember, I have removed all the gelcoat on the deck and will just be roughing up the hull. So, here is the plan:

For the deck~ 1 skim coat of West System Epoxy Resin; then application of same resin with 407 Low Density Filler for Filling and Fairing; then Interlux Pre-Kote Primer (2 coats sanded in between with 320 grit and wiped down with acetone. After final coat, sand with 400 grit and wipe down with acetone.); 3 coats Interlux Black Brightside Paint.

For the Hull~ Sand with 180 grit and wipe down with acetone; Fill and fair with West System Epoxy Resin mixed with 407 Low Density Filler; 2 coats of Interlux Pre-Kote Primer (same proceedure as for the deck); 3 Coats White Brightside Paint.

For the Outdrive~ Sand to bare metal; One coat Surface Primer Interlux InterProtects 2000E; 2 Coats Interlux Primer Primocon Aerosol; 3 Coats Interlux Antifouling Trilux 33 Aerosol.

The boat will be trailered and mostly used on the weekends. So from my research, the Interlux Brightsides should be fine. However, should I upgrade from the Pre-kote primer to the Primekote? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dreams do become reality!

Re: Let's talk painting strategy 12 years 4 months ago #62097

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
How do you plan to apply the paint? Are you spraying or rolling?

You are going through a LOT of prep work, and brightsides will work OK, but I'd really consider a more durable paint if I were you. Brightsides is pretty soft, and doesn't retain gloss as long as some other options do. There are a number of really nice multi-part paints out there that offer far more durability, and would not be that much tougher to apply. I just did my Lake N Sea with a 2 part urethane, and LOVE the results.

I used a single part called Supermarine Revolution on my Glasspar, and liked it a lot as well. It gets a lot harder than brightsides, and can be cut & buffed to an unreal shine. I sprayed, but you can roll and tip as well, it's just more work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online