Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 sears 15 foot restoration project

1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61288

I have found a 1966 sears 15 foot runabout and was wondering if it was worth the money and effort to restore? It has been gutted. hull sounds solid when tapping from the outside. Will need a paint job and new interior. How do I check for rot and soft spots?
Is there anything Else I should check before putting up $ 300.00 for the purchase?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61305

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
is there something about that particular boat that draws you to it above all others? i only ask because, around my area at least, $300 for a relatively gutted hull is rather high. if the trailer is included and amazing, perhaps. but most hull-only runabouts around here are going for $0-$150. especially considering that the trim pieces and hardware can nickel-and-dime you out of house and home before it's all said and done.

Re:1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61308

I'm with Riceman. I think the price is high. But that being said if you really, really want this boat than go for it. If the design and shape are what you are looking for....but this one isn't quite right....Then keep looking. There are plenty of old boats out there that people are trying to give away. You just have to keep looking.

Sometimes the search is the best part so enjoy it.

What ever you decide, we are here to help you all the way.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61327

Thank you for the advise. I wasn't particularly drawn to that hull, I happen to see it on craig list.
The seller used a picture from an ad on this web site. Naturally I was drawn to call and see the boat. I saw a neat looking boat for $600.00. I thought -what a bargin. The owner stated in his ad that the boat was ready to fish.
While i was examining the boat he offered 250 or 300.00. I was disappointed that the ad was a misrepresentation of what he was selling.
So I said maybe, and thought it best to seek advise from people who have experience and enjoy restoring older boats.
I recently read a book on buying a fiberglass boat to fix up and use. But I forgot important advice on how to check the hull for bad spots.
The price is for both trailer and boat. The trailer has bad tires and no title. The boat does have clean registration.
I would enjoy restoring an older boat, but I don't think I could tackle taking the fiberglass halves apart to fix the wood in between. My skill set is limited.

Re:1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61335

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Tsmithraceland wrote:

But I forgot important advice on how to check the hull for bad spots.

A close visual inspection of the hull will usually show any "patched" areas, it's hard to get them perfect. You can walk around inside on the floor, check for "soft spots" where the floor (sole) gives or feels "spongey" under your feet. To check the transom wood for rot there are a couple ways. You can wrap on the outside with the handle of a screwdriver, good wood will "sound solid" or "ring back". Rotted wood will be a dull thud. (Do it around in different spots, you'll notice a difference in rotted areas.) Also check bolt and screw holes for the color. Black or darkened wood indicates the presence of rot, good wood will be a brighter color. Some folks even drill small holes in the transom (from the inside) to check the color of the shavings that come out.

It looks to me like someone modified that transom to accept a long shaft (20" ?) outboard, when it was originally designed for a short shaft (15"). IMO that would probably indicate the need for a total transom rebuild, I don't think I'd trust the craftsmanship there. The trolling motor mount on the bow, and the hand rail being chopped up (probably added after the boat was built anyway ?) are also things that would need to be addressed, they definitely distract from the appearance of the boat, IMHO.

Just a few things to consider, hope this helps.....?

Mark

Re:1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61341

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate the advise all are giving me.
The transom extension was an issue that I would not know how to fix. I will search posts to find transom rebuilds to see what that entails. I am going to pass on this boat unless the owner wants to give it away.
My original plan was to build a wood boat from a kit or find a cheap but easily repairable one in my area. Unfortunately there aren't many boats like this around New Orleans. So the search continues. I am glad I found this forum and when I find the boat I will post again.

Thanks to all for the help.
Thomas

Re:1966 sears 15 foot restoration project 12 years 4 months ago #61346

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
No problem Thomas, we're all glad to help around here. We have several members in your area, I believe. (And many others who surf craigslist and the like countrywide.) I'm sure we can help come up with a suitable project boat for you, we'll all keep our eyes open.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle