• Page:

TOPIC: First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX

First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61216

• Ritchie
  • Ritchie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been a guest here for a while researching information on classic boats. Back in the early 70's as a kid living in Pascagula there was a Cutter Jet de Ville at the marina. I loved the look of that boat. Especially the rear deck. A few months ago I decided I would try to find one here in the Houston area. Finally, I found one but it is not the Jet de Ville. It looks like the Skier or Como. Not sure though. It is a 1961 model with a 1960 40 HP Johnson. No seats and needs some TLC.
But it does have the bow light ;-). The engine turns over but the carbs are gummed up. Even though it is not the Jet deville, I still want to buy it. I restore old cars as a hobby and would reaaly like to restore an old boat. These Cutters are small enough to be pulled by my 1960 Ranchero.

Now to my question.
Does anyone have any info on the Skier or Como? I can't find anything anywhere, except for the brouchers on this site. I would imagine the value to be less than the Jet de Ville. I want to offer a fair price to the seller. (Attached is a photo of the actual boat for sale).

Thanks,

Ritchie
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61219

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
First and foremost, welcome aboard Ritchie. I believe the Cutters were well made boats, I had a Tornado with a Merc 700 as my first Glassic. (Wish I still had it, severe case of seller's remorse!) IMO you're probably right about the Jet de Ville being the most collectable, but that model has some great lines as well. As for a fair offer, there are so many variables it's hard to say without more info.

I know you say the seats are missing, what kind of shape is the floor and transom in? The engine turning over is a good sign, but still a big question mark on getting her running again. Could be a simple "refresh" with water pump impeller, carb kits and fuel pump rebuild, tune-up, etc.... or could have other problems too. Are those dark spots on the keel up near the bow patches or bad spots? Personally, I think if I wanted that boat I'd offer somewhere in the $250 to $300 range and maybe go as high as $400, if you have to - and you think she's worth it. (Keep in mind I've been accused of being "overly frugal"), but it's going to take some cash and/or sweat equity to get her seaworthy again.

Good luck with your deal, let us know how it turns out. ;)

Mark

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61221

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ditto Mark's welcome. The cutter would look sweet behind your Ranchero and even sweeter on the water. Kinda wished we'd have kept one of the '59 El Caminos we did for a tow rig for the Stiletto. Both now in Japan somewhere. One stock,one done early '60s style. Chances are if you get this cutter someone will come up to you saying they know where another similar one is that turns out to be the one you originally wanted. Good luck.

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61230

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
the biggest variable, IMHO, is going to be your area. troll craigslists in and around your area and see what things are going for. for instance, $300-$500 seems to be pretty standard for a boat that at least looks okay and has a non-seized motor. with a good running motor, most generic glassics are going for $600-$1000. if they're pretty looking too, maybe $750-$1500 (or more if it's show-room quality).

that said, the one you're looking at is a little more stylized than the generic ones i'm talking about. that means it's a little more rare of a find, but that doesn't necessarily increase the market value. it all depends on what your area's doing. around here, a highly stylized and desirable glassic will fetch maybe an extra $50-$200 (unless it's a REALLY desirable model) in the state the one you mention is in. it just depends on the day.

also, what are you willing to pay for it? something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. if he's asking $1000, but it's only worth $500 to you, then offer $500. sometimes folks have to learn to be realistic. i've seen boats list for $1000, and i think to myself that it's not worth but about $500. sure enough, it gets relisted and relisted at a lower and lower price and the owner ends up taking around $500 for it. other times it is indeed worth that $1000. it all just depends.

last thing i'd consider is condition. it looks decent in the pics, but consider the cost of repair/repacement of things it needs. is the floor squishy? transom rotten? windshield cracked? etc. also, just because the motor turns over doesn't mean that it's going to run really good. i went out of state to buy a boat because i liked the motor. it turned over and sounded like it had great compression. got it home and it turns out that about the only thing that was in good, reliable condition was the transom clamp. the rest of it is probably going to the scrapyard. and i'd call about the cost of seal kits and water pump impellers too. i was told that the water pump was a $20-$30 repair and the seals were maybe another $30. no problem. when i actually called about ordering the parts I came to find that it was going to cost me $150+ to get everything i needed. by 1960, i think they'd gotten their act together about keeping aftermarket supplies in decent stock but still, i'd call. that info would have been nice to have before i drove 300 miles to get mine.

so, to sum it all up... it depends. on a lot of things. know that if the floor, hull, and transom aren't in great shape, it's a lot of work to repair them. not the most expensive thing you'll ever do, but it's very time consuming. if the motor isn't proven to be in great shape, then, personally, i wouldn't consider it to be a very valuable part of the equation unless it was a highly desirable motor that would be worth a lot in parts. a 1960 johnson 40 isn't one of those, IMHO. if the trailer is in really good shape, then there is some value there too.

if that boat were in my area, and most everything checked out in decent shape, i'd expect it to go for around $350-$500. if the motor passed compression tests and it didn't appear to need any significant 'glass work, then maybe $600.

also, welcome aboard!

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61239

• Ritchie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I asked about the dark spots and the seller told me it was bondo-glass covering up some rough spots. If I do wind up with this boat that will be re-done right. I had some experience with fiberglass when restoring a 76 Corvette. Alot different than a boat but still glass mat and resin and lots of sanding.
For something completely different I traded that car for an 72 Mercedes. I have the syndrome of "too many projects is never enough."

He mentioned the transom is reinforced with a piece of diamond plate. Given that, I think the transom will need work.

He said the floor is solid, the bottom and keel are good.
Windshield is ok too.

The trailer is home made and has no lights.

This boat was last run on the lake a year ago.

As far as the engine. I am a "Restomod" person. It does not have to be original or period correct. But would like to use the one it has. I don't build 'em for speed anymore. I like unique, strange and differnt. Like the '60 Ranchero (my current main project). I cut off all the Unibody parts and stuck it on a 91 Ranger chasiss and a old Y-block for the engine. (very fond of y-blocks) It was that or the crusher.

I requested some more photos to help with my decision.
He wants $500. That sounds fair enough to me so far.
Sorry for rambling and any type-os. It is in my blood. I'm type o positive.

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61240

$500 is fair enough imo if you want it but I would offer less, mainly because of the transom. Also, I don't know what the floor is made of origonally but it sounds like you will put alot more into it than you initial investment, both in time and materials.

I paid $25 for a boat and now have over $2200 in it for materials alone.

Remember, $500 is his asking price.

It has nice lines with a good windshield and looks like the trailer is serviceable.

I'd go for it.

Hello, World!!

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61242

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ritchie wrote:

The trailer is home made and has no lights.

make sure you know what your state requires for registering a home-made trailer and their rules on towing one with no lights. i don't own a flatbed trailer, so i'd be looking at bringing a light kit with me... since i don't currently own one and would have to buy one, that's $ i'd deduct from my offer. also, here in WA, if you want to register a home made trailer you have to take it to the state patrol office for an inspection. i found out that the inspection office is only open from 11am to 2pm thursday and friday. so i had to end up taking a whole day off of work just to get my trailer registered (that same one i drove 300 miles to retrieve an unusable motor on). a whole day off of work is expensive. i'd deduct at least a portion of that from my offer too, if i had it to do all over again.

you'll be fine if you do as much homework as you possibly can before buying anything, especially a project.

and i've found that some sellers will be more understanding of a lower offer if you take the time to explain what you're up against. just my 2 cents.

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61248

Well what part of Richmond do you live...I am in Pecan Grove. I at one time I worked for Lamar CISD however found out real fast that I was not cut out for a government job no mater how much they paid.

Need any help let me know

As for the trailer the last one I got tags for (Dec 2011) I went in told the lady that I need tags for a trailer home built. (knowing the rules that if it is less then 2000 lb than GVW nothing is needed but for you to sign some papers) she asked how much it weight. I said the trailer about 500 Lb the boat and motor about 1200 lb and the beer and ice may put it over the 2000 lb rating. After she stopped laughing she asked me for the money and out the door I went. (BTW the office is now near the Ft Bend county jail...No longer downtown Richmond)

Light kit I have and a flat bed I also have. I have brought many boats home on it and it is rigged with a winch to pull the trailer on and a way to tie the trailer down

Now the paper work on the boat must be in order. The TX Parks and wildlife do not play games...not right no title

Allan

CAVU

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61250

I ran a check on the TX #s

Tx Number: 1719BV
Asset Status: ACTIVE
Serial Number: 5601701
Title Number: B201106082505
Title Status: TITLED
Make: CUTTER
Year Built: 1961
Mdl/Prog Year: 1961
Length: 15'0"
Color: WHITE
Expire Date: 06/30/2013
Decal Number: 13-0141050

However the owner comes back as not living in Houston, however in TRINITY, TX.....I will not post the name nor address

And the motor is a 1960 and the title come back to a difference owner out of Ft worth

Tx Number: 3770AY
Asset Status: ACTIVE
Serial Number: 2223045
Title Number: 8411200247
Title Status: TITLED
Make: JOHNSON
Year Built: 1960
Mdl/Prog Year: 1960
Horse Power: 40

CAVU

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61253

As far as the motor...Great motor. I have many of the special tools for working on it many spare parts; and a great working relationship with one of the dealers near here. Then there is NAPA with Sierra parts (Sierra parts have a life time warranty.....even seals). The NAPA in Rosenberg was shut down, however I been dealing with the one in Katy from the time they opened in the 70s (I was born and raised in Katy).

CAVU

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61262

• Ritchie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Allan,

Thank you for the great info.

I live about 4 miles North of Pecan Grove on Morton rd. (now W. bellfort) I moved there when it was a dirt road. I sure miss the old pecan trees near oyster creek. I still go the the Safeway, appletree, randal,s for fried chicken. Love the swinging door too.

The boat is in Trinity now. I am working a deal with the owner to get it to my house. I have a 1200 sqft shop out back and no deed restriction, so working on it is not a problem. I really appreciate your offer to help. You are most welcome to come by anytime. We always have cold beer on hand or on tap. (I restored a vintage Beverage-Air kegerator.)

I will PM you my ph number.

Rich

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61263

Welcome, never fear to jump right in.

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61611

• Ritchie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
First. I want to thank TallTexan for getting this boat home.
"Thanks a bunch TallTexan" I will start calling you "Captain Awesome".
Your knowledge on these engines is amazing.

Following your advice, I will build stands for the boat and engine. Then start working the under side of the boat then the topside and the engine assy last.

Found issues so far:
The engine is missing some parts but has good compression.
The fuel line system needs to be redone.
The transom will need re-work.
The windshield is shagged.
Chrome work is pitted. But that is what I expected.
Controls and wiring will need a complete restoration / replacement.
The trailer in not a home built. It is a modified trailer for a bigger boat.
The price was $500 or best offer. The “Best offer” part being in favor of the seller.

The good:
The floor feels solid. No soft spots. I do check the transom and stringers with a small drill to check the wood for signs of rot.
A lot of the Vollrath hardware is there and looks nice.
Cool lines. And it’s mine all mine.

Now I need to do some more research on the boat and engine. I still do not know what model this is.
Attachments:

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61613

what year ranchero i have a 69 that i well bee useing for a tow rig razor

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61618

Ritchie,

WELCOME to the forum. - NIFTY boat/Big-Twin, too.

fwiw, i'm in San Antonio.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61619

• Ritchie
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have a 1960 on a 1991 Ranger chassis. my profile pic is my '59 CUstom 300.
my Ranchero is not much to look at right now. Still in project mode.

Please post a pic of your Ranchero. :-)

Re:First Post - Hello from Richmond, TX 12 years 4 months ago #61637

My de ville is my next project, the 59/60?Invader has to be finished. The 58 Mark 58A that came on the deville is going on it. I have to come down there shortly to pick it up from a rebuild. Texan, do u know Joe McCauley? He's doing my motor. The volrath hardware is worth more than the boat!, lol
PS if ya'll need anything from n. la. area let me know.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online