TOPIC: New Transom for the Shark

New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61024

• cawrsfm
  • cawrsfm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there all.
Back from 8 weeks at sea and now getting to the installation phase of the new transom for my RF Capri. Here it is in the "dry run". Tomorrow I will pick up the fresh resin and glass it in. Still need to pick up a few more clamps also.
Andrew
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61025

• cawrsfm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
inside with blocking
Attachments:

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61041

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looking good!

Isn't it great to get back ashore after being gone so long?? After doing it 12 years, I am not missing it AT ALL!!

-Andrew

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61042

• cawrsfm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes it is good to be home again. Mind you the wife has a list a mile long for me. But as you can see, we all have priorities.
Thanks for the speedometer Andrew. It arrived just fine. Say, did it have instructions?

As soon as the transom is complete, then the floor. Has anyone used balsa to replace old balsa flooring? My local supplier is suggesting I go with a modern composite material instead. Part of me wants to keep it original, but the logical side is saying go compostite. Thoughts?

Andrew

Re: New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61171

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Andrew,

Looks great!!! What year is you RF? My Shark Capri has the same transom design buy the donor hull has the straight design of the later transoms. You didn't happen to make a pattern you'd be willing to sell to another FG member did you? I would gladly pay for the design, as you did all the hard work.

When I removed my transoms, they were all flakey and left nothing from which I can make a pattern. I would hate to have to re-invent the wheel. Thankfully, the (donor) hull itself is very good with no issues there.

Its good to see you're home, too. Its a feeling that people who don't deply can't understand. Take care and havea great time.

Sincerely,
Todd

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61175

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
cawrsfm wrote:

Yes it is good to be home again. Mind you the wife has a list a mile long for me. But as you can see, we all have priorities.
Thanks for the speedometer Andrew. It arrived just fine. Say, did it have instructions?

Ahh, the memories... The 'Honey DO' list seemed to grow longer and longer each time... Funny, though, I've been ashore for about 5 months now, and it's STILL growing :)

Glad the speedometer got there OK- I always get a little nervous. Anything that it had would have been in the box- Installation of those is pretty straight forward, though... Install Pitot, Run the tube, install the gauge- And head out on the water!

As soon as the transom is complete, then the floor. Has anyone used balsa to replace old balsa flooring?

I've replaced old blasa core with new balsa. It's a pain, but not TOO bad. I looked into the modern foam materials, but the cost difference was too great to justify it for the small project I was doing. Properly sealed balsa will last a long time- Mine was done with Epoxy, so it was sealed off pretty well... I can't tell you for sure that it's all OK, since I No longer have the boat :)

-Andrew

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61187

• cawrsfm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Todd:

The old transom was water logged but still in one piece. I was fortunate that I could just trace it onto the new marine plywood.
I will do a tracing for you too. Just pm me your address and I will send it out to you. No charge of course. I still have the original transom and I plan to mount it as``art`` someday in my workshop.

I was hoping to keep everything original and hence the plan to go with the balsa. This boat will never be kept in the water for extended periods and the plan is to completely redo the gelcoat on the hull. Balsa also looks like it may be easier to work with. I guess I will decide once I get to the stage of actually having to buy the stuff. The fiberglass shop is pushing the composite stuff.

I am miffed. Today was going to be `my`day to install the transom. With all the usual hubbub on Friday with the three kids, I forgot the glass shop was not open on the weekend. No boat fun for me today. And the weather is spectacular. I guess a bike ride with the kiddies it is....

Andrew

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #61197

6 to 8 most boat rides are even more fun!!!!!

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #62509

• cawrsfm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Started on the fun stuff this afternoon. Removed at least 80lbs of wet and rotted balsa. It is really amazing how thin the skin of the hull really is with the floor removed.

Andrew
Attachments:

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #62510

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I don't envy you one bit... I HATE working with cored construction like that! Just make sure you keep everything well supported- Those thin hulls like to warp and twist all over when the core is out of them. Ask me how I know :(

-Andrew

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #62551

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks good! Keep up the good work.

Re:New Transom for the Shark 12 years 4 months ago #62564

• cawrsfm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks guys. It is sitting on the '59 Tee Nee that I am simultaneously restoring. That is enough support right? I also have a cargo strap tightened around amidships so that the hull does not flare out.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online