Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit..

How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 5 months ago #60765

Emosun taught himself through high school online and graduated early. He was only 16, but he had also been working to help his family. He's a great kid, and does not believe in drugs, alcohol, or breaking the law. He does however, know the meaning of hard work.
For two years after he purchased the boat, he spent every extra minute he had on learning and researching everything he could about Fleetforms. He was fascinated with every detail. It took years, and many small paychecks for him to finally get that boat in the water. But to see him proudly motoring off across the lake, knowing he did it all on his own, (without any need for his father who left him), I cried, harder than I had in years. Happy tears, I guess, but also pride. It was his Independence Day.
Unfortunately, all those pent up emotions came to surface when he saw someone on your forum with cash to burn, modify a vintage boat not to it's classic form. He thought, "C'mon, I did it with time, research, pennies and respect for the craft, not just money".
Sorry Mr. Ross, he took out his anger on you, and not with whom it was really meant for. I hope you can all relate and understand...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60848

I've been busy did I miss something here?

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60877

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
yes , i was wondering the same thing. i never seen that post. i hope it was not my fleetform he was talking about. i believe emosuns boat is black on white ? and i think he also has a white on white. both are nice boats. frog
Attachments:

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60887

CAVU

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60889

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That is not the thread CHB is talking about, TT. (Very similar, however, you're right on about someone getting their feelings hurt I think.) I don't think it was your Fleetform he was talking about Frog. I'd just as soon not drag all that dirty laundry out in the open again, it was NOT one of our "shinning moments" here. It was well over a year ago, and I have no idea why it's being brought up again after all this time.

To sum it up without "fueling the fire" again, one of the greatest things about FG is the fact that no one is chastised for doing their boat the way THEY wanted to do it! There are some forums I will not frequent because of the sarcastic, condescending attitudes that are expressed freely without recourse. Generally speaking, everyone is welcome here and to call someone out because they chose to renovate/restore/rig a boat differently than you would do it is unacceptable, IMO. To "hate" on anyone because of this speaks volumes about a person, and creates a hostile atmosphere. Interesting background on Emo, but it doesn't excuse the indiscretion IMO.

Everyone makes mistakes, Lord knows I've made more than my share. If Emosun wants to come back I would have no problem with it, assuming he understands what this place is truly all about.

Just my personal opinion, NOT an official statement by this site! (I don't run the train, I just help shovel the coal.) :)

Mark

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60890

I'd welcome him back. It is just opinion. Funny thing a guy walked up to my door last summer and offered me over $1,000 for this without a boat.
Attachments:

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60892

yep,mark is right,the thread that is shown is after the one that emosun jumped on people that dont make their boats completely,and exactly like they were bought,if i remember right.
and if i remember right we did ask him back just to be insulted again,he didnt insult me personally but ,my friends here on fg.

this was an ugly time for us and i would rather forget it and move on,i too would welcome him back.
and by the way welcome curly haired blonde,its nice to meet you,and its nice that you took up for him,he has a good friend in you,its important to help out your friends,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60893

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Mark.

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60913

Heck If shut down every time I got my feelings hurt I would never made it through college and would have never got any of my businesses going.

Ya'll just need to remember ...I am an engineer....I am never wrong :)

CAVU

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60926

This has to be a joke right? I built my classic the way I wanted. I shaved stuff off the deck I didn't like, added PT&T to a motor that was built in the day when there was no such thing, added new-fangled hydraulic steering to my 50 year old boat last year, and for this year it's gonna be a jack plate added. From a boat and motor with no hydraulics, I'll have three different hydraulic systems. And I ain't even an engineer! Plus I ain't selling my boat. None of you dudes have enough $ to buy it anyways! ;>}

Frank

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60954

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
The only time modifications make a difference to the owner, are when it comes time to sell. Like with cars, a stock unit is easy to estimate a value. Modifications have different values to different buyers.

I tend to be a custodian of history, so when I modify, I try to stay with bolt on modifications that can be easily changed back to original. Not a judgement on others....It's just how I do it.

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60966

the boats i usually do are salvaged from a scrap yard and everything ,and i do mean everything has to be done to them,so i tend to make them very different than when bought,i figure if it is better to save it from the junk,and customize it than to see it scrapped in many pieces.
i love the boats and the folks that stay to the original side,they are very,very cool,like todd's custom craft,

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #60998

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Very good point John. If it were going to be sawed into 37 pieces and put in a dumpster, every boat deserves better than that! :laugh:

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #61172

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey John,

Most of us can remember another tirade that ended with another member (OSG ring a bell?) being asked to leave the site. There's no reason to get uptight. There are too many great people here to draw inspiration from to worry about those with issues.

I can honestly say I can't wait until I get finished with my degree so I can get back on the site and back to my boats. August is just around the corner but it seems like light years away some days. At least I have the Starcraft Rocket ready for the water for this year and will be able to spend a little time on the lakes.

Take care everyone. I'll hop back on when I get another few minutes between papers and projects.

Todd

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #61186

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I was lucky enough to get a boat that I believe doesn't have a single hole in it that wasn't there when it rolled off the showroom floor. Because of that I have NO intentions of adding a single hole to the boat. The hardware was very badly pitted and pretty much every single piece has been or will be replaced by NOS mostly Jervis replacements. All of the hardware is going back into the original holes (although the transom holes will be cored out and epoxied). Back-up plates and such are being added and of course all new wiring. That's all the stuff you don't see but the stuff that you do see, I've made a commitment to keep everything mint 1959. My other boat has a bunch of stuff added over the years so my commitment to keeping it mint is at this point is very low.

That being said, I think people have also got to take on the perspective that manufactures CHANGE their product from year to year in order to IMPROVE their product. Don't tell me or anyone else that we can't do the same as restorers if we so choose even if it's not PERIOD correct. These boats and motors are being saved and I for one wish I had the time and money to do a whole bunch more.

Don't forget, these things are great chick magnets! With that I'll just shut up.

shipster

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #61192

Shipster wrote:

Don't forget, these things are great chick magnets!

Shipster: Why didn't you tell me this 30 years ago. Some Pal you are, keeping things like that to your self.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #61207

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Littlefin listen. I'm lookin down the barrel of 60 years old so I know I'm just tryin' to kid MYself. Good news is, sometimes it works.

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #61215

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I am unaware of what transpired originally and can only comment on what CHB has posted.From her posting I have to wonder whether Emosun was jealous that it was an easy build because the person who modified a classic to their ideals had the funds with which to do so. If so he needs to understand that in all likelihood there will always be people who fit in this category. As someone who started modifying '30's,40's,and 50's cars/trucks and a few Harleys I can still remember the disdain and refusal to participate from many events in the late 60's and early '70's that were dominated by restorers events. If this hobby is to flourish we need the input and enthusiasm from the younger generation and while I can appreciate the effort people like young Emosun have put forth I am equally impressed by a well thought out and executed modified glassic. The CC that John Gibson did comes to mind. It would be a shame if this hobby/sport adopted the same attitude that we experienced in the early days of street rodding, and I sense the same until recently with the wooden boat crowd, is that it would not appeal to many younger folks as well as myself.

Re:How to destroy a Fleetform...a little bit.. 12 years 4 months ago #61218

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Shipster wrote:

Don't forget, these things are great chick magnets!

shipster

Uh huh!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online