Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vinyl top deck

Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60208

I'm looking for replacement vinyl for my '61 Flying Scott. Seems no one carries this stuff any more. I've checked with nautolex suppliers and the only thing I "might" be able to get is a task color. I don't want to change the color scheme as I think the mahogany and turquoise looks real sharp together, especially when she's out on the water. Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60209

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Real wood maybe?

That's going to be a tough one. I wish I could get the custom vinyl parts for my classic Jeep door panels too. That custom embossed vinyl was so common in the 50s and 60s and now it is darn near impossible to find anywhere.

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60220

If you find a source, let us know. Custom Craft used this stuff a lot (and even used it to emboss the pattern into deck molds). If I ever had to replace any of this stuff on mine, it would be a challenge. My boat even has it on the cockpit floor
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60231

You know I had considered a real mahogany veneer and may consider that as an option yet! A friend just suggested that I could have it made as a digital mural. While the texture would not be the same, if I got a good picture of it they may be able to print it out?! Don't know but seems plausible. I think Omnova has the ability to do that. I'm still hopping that by miracle I stumble across someone who knows someone that has a remnant!

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60233

I had the same thing on my wood Owens. The part in front of windshield was solid mahogany and refinished it and replaced bow wood with mahogany veneer. Came out nice.

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60234

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Try these guys. www.garysupholstery.com/ntodecking.html I also seen a while back on ship shape TV a product that will lay over your deck and you can have it look anyway you want it to. I think it was designed to look good, be skid free and was to lay over boston whaler decking. if it was too crazed etc.....

I would try garys upholstery first you may need to contact them to see what colors they offer other than white. Just because you do not see it does not mean they do not have it. Call and ask.
Jim

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60237

Thanks for the tip Jim. Talked to a fella down there and he says white is the only color they've made that stuff in for ten to fifteen years! Still it doesn't hurt to ask. I think since the boat was made here in LA there may be some of that stashed away in an old upholstery shop around here. I know the chances are slim but I'm not willing to give up!

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60238

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Mark

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60241

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
yes Mark is was. They send you out a kit so you can trace a pattern for what you need and then they make it up and you install it.

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60319

I have a Scott boat too with this material on it and I too wanted to get new material for it. Many of the old boats I have have simular material, like crestliners with a woodgrain material on there flooring. SO I went on a quest to see if I could locate such material in this day and age. Only one company truely handles the old stuff and that is SMS Auto Fabrics. They have this material or can make it up with the embossed lines also seat material with embossed lines too. Many of the boats used this material on seats and flooring. NOW, Sit down and gather your loved ones, take your heart meds and then ask for a price. ITs spendy $85 a yard and up. That means if you did a 15' boat floor it could cost up to $600 to $700 in material cost. Now the up side here is it will last a life time in a collector boat that is rarely used and cared for. SO its a one time expence. Also embossed logos for seats can be done too for a price too if needed. Again its a one time expence. At some point I will bite the bullet and buy the material I need for a couple of boats I really want perfect. SO here is the link and feel free to call them they are very nice to talk to and helpful.
Bob

www.smsautofabrics.com/

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60327

Well you've got my hopes up! At this point cost is not an option, I was actually planning on having to spend a bit more! I'm going to give them a call when they open. I also found a product that's a vinyl wrap. They have it in a pretty realistic wood grain and say it's fairly durable so if all else fails I think that's my next best option. Their company is called rvinyl.

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60351

I just contacted SMS about embossed vinyl for the seats on the Glastron. We'll see what they say about that.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60373

nice find mark.

Re:Vinyl top deck 12 years 5 months ago #60456

Well so far so good! SMS seems like the place! Although I'm impatiently waiting till Friday to hear the final word..everyone there seems positive about it! So big thanks Bob for the info! Can't wait to get all my upholstery done!

Re:Vinyl top deck 9 years 3 months ago #111463

I know this is an old thread but for future reference I did my scott with 3m di-noc mohagany then put a bunch of layers of auto urathane on it and buffed it to a high gloss. Slippery as he'll but looks great.
Attachments:

Re:Vinyl top deck 9 years 3 months ago #111464

Forgot to mention I painted the white then laid each strip individually. Wasn't a huge deal and gives it actual dimension.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online