• Page:

TOPIC: What if your controls won't...

What if your controls won't... 12 years 5 months ago #59952

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
what if your conrols won't pull enough cable for WOT?

my current setup (at the motor):

when the controls get to WOT (like this):

the throttle will only go this far:

and it's supposed to be this far:

i've fooled around with what adjustments i thought would help, but it seems that it simply doesn't pull enough cable. will the newer style of controls not work with an older motor, or am i missing something?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What if your controls won't... 12 years 5 months ago #59957

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Check to make sure the gear rack is not a tooth off in the control box.

Although that motor likely would have had the old double handle control. I'm not sure what is inside that control box.

Re:What if your controls won't... 12 years 5 months ago #59969

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i did take a second look at the innards on the controls i have. it would appear that if i were able to rotate the control lever another 15 or so degrees i could get a little more cable travel out of it (maybe enough to solve my dilemma?). problem is that molded pocket that the controls sit in. i've already moved the controls up 2 inches or so out of the pocket so that i could get the lever to rotate to the extent it's at now. i'm not going to rig it to get any more height out of it... i already can't get but 2 screws to anchor it to the boat and one of the control cables has to run up and over the arm rest area instead of under it. there is NO adjustment to be had inside of the control box.

i do have a set of the older 2 lever style controls i picked up because i liked the looks, but it would seem i'm going to end up HAVING to use them. oh darn. now i've got to find cables to fit 'em. oh, what a shame. how will i ever break it to the wife that i now need MORE boat parts. perhaps i can find some cables with a boat attached to 'em... hmm.

Re:What if your controls won't... 12 years 5 months ago #59986

Hi,
I will first comment that it was very common for boat manufacturers to apparently never consider the future installation of remote controls, steering, and other necessary rigging functions before producing molds and building boats. The area may have been intended as a shallow storage pocket by the manufacturer, rather than a remote control mounting area as the previous rigger has tried. With the limited views I have seen, it is difficult to help fully.
As you mention, many remote controls do allow the remote control handle to be positioned in several orientations. I personally am not familiar with the controls employed to speak to this unfortunately (my family sold Mercurys for 50+ years).
If the handle cannot be repositioned, then you are back to mounting the controls to a different location (mounting far closer to the floor with a long mounting plate), or a different style remote control must be employed.
I have been wondering if "panel mounted" controls might fit properly. This is the type generally seen in inboard/outboard powered boats. Clearance behind the present control mounting area and the hull's inside gunwale would have to be carefully studied and measured. Careful measurements of the outside, mocking-up the center of the control handle and the handle's movement for clearance, is the way we go about it. I have in mind a nice used Morse remote control which would very likely require different control cables (we have a very few good used cables also, but the wanted length would be needed information), as a possible solution, but seeing pictures does not allow one to fully understand the dimensions of the mounting area to truly be helpful. Maybe consider taking a school compass and see how large the size semi-circles you can draw, and post pictures of it for other's viewing.
If you should wish to contact me directly, I am including our e-mail address below.

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online