Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Boat, Need Advice

New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59839

Hi everyone,

I have been a long-time follower of this site and I just picked up my first vintage fiberglass boat this past Friday. Overall it is a solid project but needs a LOT of work. I don't even know for sure what make and model it is. I was told that it is a 1957 Glastron but I haven't been able to locate any evidence of this. It is 14' long.

I have walked around in the boat and the floor and stringers are solid. There is one small hole in the floor that appears to have been repaired at some point in the past. The hull is very solid but has some small nicks that will need to be repaired. The only bad thing is that the transom is totally rotten.

Please let me know if you can identify this boat or offer any suggestions for the restoration.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59850

Clem, nice score. Absolute classic.

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59860

I would look closely at the images here and at ClassicGlastron.com

Many manufacturers copied the Glastron design with slight modifications and it takes a careful comparison to tell them apart.

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59892

Looks like a RedFish to me. Possibly a 1960 (if it has an indent on the side of the fin), or a 1958 +- 1 if not. Larry in Idaho

Larry Chase in Idaho

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59894

Oops, I changed my mind, after looking at the picture closer. Now I don't know what it is ... but it is well worth owning. Larry, again.

Larry Chase in Idaho

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59895

larry's right....not a production redfish or glastron....a picture of the top of the bow and one of the dash would help....looks like she's a keeper...john

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59898

It's not a Glastron. The deck definitely looks 1959 Redfish, but not the hull. The RF hulls were very similar to the 1957 Glastron. Not much in the Gallery re 1960 RF. Anybody have one or have some liter.

Great find, BTW.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59900

yes i have a 1960 red fish and some ads....the 1960 and 1961 red fish are alike except for the rub rail and the seats....the 1960 had the lawn chair looking aluminum frame front seats and the 1961 had the moulded in fiberglass buckets with plywood backed pads john

You are ahead of the game if the floor and 12 years 5 months ago #59902

stringers are OK. There are many threads on transom repairs since it is such a common problem. Research "Seacast" as well. I'll let the pros who have actually done a transom chime in with their suggestions. Good luck on a nice looking boat.

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59906

Hey guys I appreciate all of the replies. After hours and hours of Google searching I still can't find any boats that are identical to mine. Several are very similar, but none exactly like it. I'll try to take some more photos of it soon.

I went ahead and pulled the rotten wood out of the transom. It is clear that someone replaced the plywood in the transom before and did a terrible job. I'm thinking of going with Seacast or Nida-core. I've read great reviews on both and it seems pretty simple. I also pulled the interior out of the boat so I can start building new seats for it.

More updates coming soon. I really want to have this thing out on the water by the end of the summer!
Attachments:

Post some pictures of the 12 years 5 months ago #59907

so that the pros here can give their opinion.

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59908

I also got a 1957 10hp Johnson Sea Horse motor for free from a neighbor. I know that's not adequate power for this boat but it was free and it runs so I'm not complaining. More photos and updates to come..

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59910

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Cloud white Merc will look the best hanging off the back.Keep the free 57 johnny for future use. Nida makes Sea Cast.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New Boat, Need Advice 12 years 5 months ago #59912

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
theclemsondude wrote:

I also got a 1957 10hp Johnson Sea Horse motor for free from a neighbor. I know that's not adequate power for this boat but it was free and it runs so I'm not complaining. More photos and updates to come..

Yaa. You'll want at least a 25 on there. 35 would be better. I'd stay at 75 or under though. (if it were me)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online