• Page:

TOPIC: no juice..........

no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59496

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
i installed a new battery in the mantaray last summer. used it once then had it on storage charge till this week. bought a special marine charger for this. uncovered the boat this morning to listen to the cd player as i'm workin in the garage. no sound, so i turned the key to see if it would turn over...nothing. i believe the battery is fully charged. it is hooked up the way it was when i used it last year. connections are all tight and clean...any ideas? ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59498

fuse?

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59501

Ron get your Multi-Meter out and check to see if your battery is charged. If it is then use the meter to track the wires.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59502

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
you can also temporarily swap in the battery from a known working source (ie: your car/truck) and see if it works then. i've seen new batteries be time delay duds before.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59540

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
where would the fuse be? have never seen a fuse anywhere.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59577

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The fuses,and there can be one or two,are normally located in two places one being a white plastic housing that is on a red wire a few inches from the radio.Then on back side of the dashboard there should be a small block that hold 4-6 fuses for running lights,bilge,blower,cig lighter,radio,gauges etc.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59579

There also may be a fuse built into the back of the radio. Hard to say without being in Lodi!

Frank

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59584

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
In your original post you mention that the starter was also dead, right? I would start by checking the battery with a voltmeter Ron, even new ones have been known to go bad ocassionally! Most decent parts stores will even load test it for you if you'll pull it out and take it down there, or pull the boat down to the store. I'd start there (the battery) to trouble shoot your problem, FWIW.

Just my two cents........ ;)

Mark

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59585

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
there is no fuse box behind the dash. i did find that in -line fuse though that is for the cd player. going to check it out now. i've been told by the dialysis team not to lift more than 10 lbs. with my left arm ..so that means the battery stays put from the day my brother installed it, as i can't lift it out with one arm.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59586

I second checking the battery. I have had battery maintainers run a battery dry. They are not all created equal. I use them on half of my fleet of cars. You have to check the electrolyte level at least once a month. On the boat without any computer controls I find it better to just disconnect the battery and Hook the charger up every so often.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59598

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I agree with the others here that you need to put a meter at the source,the battery and work from there. A very important point from 59Hustler is to check the electrolyte level regularly.Also ensure the charger your using shuts down once the battery has reached a full charge and doesn't continue to charge past this point and cook the battery. I prefer having a voltmeter gauge somewhere in the system rather than an amp meter because you have a true indication of your batteries state of charge. The gauge needn't be place on the dash panel and can be hooked up nearly anywhere in the electrical system.Mine is mounted out of the way near the battery in the motor well area that allows me to glance at it as I am removing the transom straps and checking the drain plug(s)prior to launching. I swapped over to installing voltmeters in hot rods/street rods after a friends '37 Chevy almost went up in flames due to an amp meter meltdown.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59627

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
If you have no fuse block for all your electrical items I would start looking into installing one.Where does your wiring for lights go ? light to switch to battery,Maybe start tracing that wiring and see what you come up with,regardless if you find dead battery this issue should be addressed.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59628

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Ron I'm sure they wouldn't mind throwing a meter on your battery if you pulled the whole boat down to the parts store or auto electric shop if you explained the situation, is that an option? (Assuming you can get to the battery fairly easily?)

Good points from all here;
1 - Still need to keep an eye on the electrolyte level even when on a "maintainer". (Once a month maybe?)

2 - Voltmeters much easier to install, and give better reading of what's going on in the electrical system. (Don't have to be mounted in the dash, but should be "switched" or unhooked to shut off when not using the boat.)

3 - Best to run any and all accessories off a separate fused circuit, not off the ignition switch/control box. Much better to blow a fuse than have a wire glow-hot when shorted! Melanie and several others have shown some fine examples on wiring in a fuse panel, maybe somebody can direct to one of those threads. If nothing else, an in-line fuse holder is easy and inexpensive to install back at the battery area.

One final thought, a battery disconnect switch or unhooking the battery when not in use is also a good idea IMHO. Could help prevent battery drains or short circuits during storage.

Good luck with your dilemma Ron, hope you get it worked out soon. Wish I lived closer, I'd be glad to come over and give you a hand with it.

Mark

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59648

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
much thanks mark but my boat is so hard to get underneath i wouldn't ask someone to help me out...just ask JG, installing the console and mounting the steering wheel really put a toll on him. i'll just leave it the way it is. couldn't check it out the other day, somethin else came up but i'll do it in the morning and report back. guess i'll have to buy one of those meters too.

john, all my accessories are wired directly to the battery my boat lights haven't worked in years and i have no need for them anyway. tach is wired directly to the motor and does work. i never thot about the electrolyte level as the battery is new and has turned the motor over only twice since installed.

oceans2, the battery is on a maintain charge machine all the time its connected. it cannot charge. thats the reason i use this in the winter. if i hook up my charger, the charging meter needle jumps to fully charged. i'm unable to do any of this work myself due to lack of knowledge (stupid), and i'm not ashamed to admit it...lolol

59 hustler, i didn't know a maintainer could run a battery dry!

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59670

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ron I understand your thought process in not having any lights.I have seen boats at the launch ramp being inspected by the Coast Guard Aux patrol and to the best of my knowledge you are required to have lights.Exceptions being a canoe,pwc, and rowboat. You go out for a cruise later in the day,break down and the sunsets,need to be seen for safety and rescue reasons.If you decide to fix lights put a in line fuse before hooking up to battery.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59680

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
heres where i'm at.....the battery has no refill caps, its sealed, so i guess it can't be dry then. its registers fully charged when i hook up my charger too it, yet when i hook up my light bulb tester with the 2 leads touching the positive and negative poles, it doesn't light. can't get at the fuse behind the cd player because with the console i can't fit under the dash. so i guess the boat will stay in the garage until i can find a midget electrician who can fit in there.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59682

Do you have a Meter? That will tell the battery voltage. Light bulb good in your tester?

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59683

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
if the battery charger says its fully charged why do i need a meter? i'll get one if need be at autozone.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59685

Sounds like the battery is dead due to the test light not coming on when touched to the terminals. Is your maintainer off when you hook up the charger or are they one and the same? What brand /model of charger and maintainer? How does the charger show full charge? Does it give a voltage?

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59689

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
its a 2/10/50 craftsman tester,charger, and engine starter. the maintainer was disconnected when i tested it. the needle jumps to fully charged when turned on the 2 amp setting or the 10 amp setting.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59693

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
If your test light works on a car battery and not on your boat, it's shot.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59704

Good point Mr.88. Ron I'd check your test light and go from there.
I'm sure it's something simple.
Keep us posted. We might run into the same problem someday.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59705

Sorry double post

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59712

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
why didn't i think of that. will do in morning.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59722

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Do things work when the charger is connected and charging?

Of course, on a "real" battery, (the kind you can't get any more) There would be caps on the top where you could test the electrolite and see if all the cells are charged with a hydrometer. (without lifting the battery)

Remember, even a mostly dead battery will light a small light or power a radio, but won't or may not have the power to trip the relay to turn the starter.

Good luck!

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59730

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
GOING TO GO OUT AND CHECK THAT now. also will try the test light on my truck battery.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59736

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok...my tester consists of a 20w light bulb screwed into a socket with a black and white wire coming out of the bottom of the socket. i just stuck the wires into an electrical outlet and the bulb lights so i know the bulb is good. however it will not light when the wire leads are touching the pos. and neg. poles of the boat battery. i even tried it with the charger on and the bulb doesn't light. the cd player lights up with the charger connected but it won't pull the cd in (lack of power i guess)
when i put the charger on 50 amp engine start and turned the ignition key i got a loud humming noise from the charger, but not even a click from the engine. will try the tester on my truck battery just as soon as the rain subsides.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59739

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i guess this tester is only for testing electrical sockets as it won't light up on my truck battery either. off to autozone for a battery meter. just confirmed that my tester is for electrical sockets only..something to do with the current.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59741

Sounds like your tester is for 120 volts. You need one with a 12 volt bulb like the ones used on your bow and stern lights.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59743

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok...making some progress. forgot i had a stanley 500w portable power pack/engine starter. i checked it out and it was fully charged. hooked up the cables to the battery and it turned right over. now i have to figure out why on 3 different battery chargers the battery read fully charged but wouldn't turn the motor over. some how over the winter it lost its charge while i had my battery tender hooked up to it. my neighbor said a bad ground (wherever that is)would make the battery tender useless.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59746

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It sounds like you might have a bad battery.... Some chargers will behave the same way with a bad battery as a full one, just turn off and not charge. Take your battery in to a autozone or somewhere that they have a tester and have it checked out.

Is it a sealed battery? You might have 'boiled' the electrolyte out of it over the winter with the trickle charger, if it was putting a little too much juice in there. I've always just moved my batteries in to a warmer storage area, and left them unhooked for the winter. They need a recharge in the spring, but they seem to last.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59747

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yes it is a sealed battery. purchased last summer...hardly used. i'll have to get someone to remove it from the boat and put in my truck. i still think somethin drained it and the battery tender is not the culprit.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59754

If the battery is bad. You might get some prorated credit towards a new one. Take it where you bought it when you get help getting it out of the boat.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59759

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
dave, exactly what i was thinking. got the receipt in my wallet. lol..still kinda confused by what andy said that a battery charger could read charged even though the battery is shot.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59765

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
If your voltage regulator on your generator is bad the battery can over charge and boil away the electrolite. (the liquid in the battery) The battery can show fully charged but have very little amperage available due to exposed plates. (plates not submerged in electrolite)

Likewise, a battery charger can over charge a battery and boil away the electrolite.

What I'm saying is, don't ruin a new battery by not finding out if you have a charging source that is over charging the batery. It will just wreck a new battery too.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59767

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
didn't know a 62 merc 700 had a generator and voltage regulator. i had only heard of rectifier and magneto. the battery wasn't on a charger all winter. it was on a 1 amp battery maintainer.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59769

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Or it was a crap battery from the get go,happens a lot,want me to tell you about my "new" starter that I replaced within 2 months recently A 1 amp trickle charger should not harm a battery, especially one sitting in a cold storage place.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59815

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
spoke to the manager at west marine. they are going to test it overnight and if it doesn't hold a charge they'll give me a new one...pro-rated.

Re:no juice.......... 12 years 5 months ago #59832

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
funny thing...i hooked up the charger again and it read fully charged. i left it on for a few hours and went back out to disconnect it and the needle had dropped down halfway into the charging zone. so i guess its taking a charge now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online