Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice?

Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice? 12 years 5 months ago #59380

I'm thinking of purchasing a 1956 Herters Duofoil Flying Fish, to restore. I have no idea about them, or what there worth. I attached a picture of the one I'm looking to purchase, he is asking $800 obo with a motor, is that a fair price?

I'm also wondering if anyone has advice on what to look out for when I go check this boat out, any signs that are a turn off?

Any other advice on restoring the boat, where you could find parts etc. would really be appreciated.

Like I said I'm just looking for advice from more knowledgeable people before I jump in.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice? 12 years 5 months ago #59383

This particular Herter's has been listed on craigslist on and off for several years. The price recently came down from $1,000.00.

There are those that love these models. There have been a number restored by classic fiberglass fans. They are certainly unique and came from a unique company.

I cannot tell you what to look out for. The metal bits are polished aluminum which is unique and different than the typical chrome plated brass or pot metal used by most boat builders.

I cannot tell you their value. As an investment, you will probably do better with something else, a mink coat or jewels or a simple savings account.

Good luck.

Andreas

Re:Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice? 12 years 5 months ago #59384

There are others with a lot more experience than I, but there are a lot of unique aluminum castings on those boats. If they are not there, that would diminish the value quite a bit. Finding new ones or replacements could be difficult. I believe the bow piece is one of the special ones.

Another key place to look is the transom. If that is rotted, replacing that is a big job. Cracks in gel coat need to be ground down and re-done.

All of the obvious stuff applies as well. No major soft deck issues like an H14 or H16.

(BTW, like your name. Sold my F-18 two years ago and am still looking for my next cat/tri)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice? 12 years 5 months ago #59425

Hobiesailer,

All Herters Flying Fish and Mark III models had aluminum transoms. The only wood in the boat was behind the dash. The bottom of the boat was stiffened by four aluminum castings assembled into a frame. The problem with the transom was that it would crack. Usually the transom will have a bow in it if cracked. They can repaired, or replaced with wood, but both can be substantial projects depending on your experience level. The 56 and 57 did have an aluminum knee brace so they were less likely to have a problem. Check to see if this one still has the knee brace.
Also check the bottom frame. They will occasionally be cracked, but not as often as transoms.
The 1956 Deluxe is probably the rarest Flying Fish, but in my opinion , they are the least desirable. They have low aluminum fins that are bolted to the glass hull, almost as an afterthought. They don't have any taillights like other models. They do not have a pass-through to the rear compartment, and being the lightest model, and having a flat bottom. they are not a good rough water boat.
The 1957 tall fin Deluxe and the 1958 tall fin Deluxe have more of a WOW factor, and the 1958 being six inches wider and 100 pounds heavier is more comfortable and bit better in chop. Actually, IMO none of the Herters are good user boats in rough water.
All of the 1959-61 Models have the lower fins, although good looking boats, don't stand out like the 57 and 58 Deluxe models.
So it goes back to what you want to do with the boat. As mentioned previously, if it's as an investment or money making project, look elsewhere.
If it's to be a user boat, don't expect to use it much on windy days or big water.
If it's going to spend most of it's life on a trailer at boat shows, there are flashier models.
But, if you really like the boat, all the hardware is there, and the transom and bottom castings are good, it could make a good project.
Attachments:

Re:Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice? 12 years 5 months ago #59428

Cal (63 Sabre) will probably chime in here soon with some advice. He's in the middle of a complete resto on his '59. Check out his step-by step progress in the "members projects" section.

Re:Thinking of purchasing a 56' Herters? Advice? 12 years 5 months ago #59610

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'll maybe just shoot him a lower offer being that he's had it for sale for a while otherwise I'll just look for something else.

Thanks again!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online