Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beginners' Marine Navigation - where to start?

Beginners' Marine Navigation - where to start? 12 years 5 months ago #59365

'Round my neck of the woods I am never out of sight of both sides of a lake.

But if I wanted to get into self taught beginners' navigation, what would I be looking at for entry level equipment? Just enough so I could pretend that I have to navigate out at back so that if I ever moved into something more advanced I at least have a foundation to work from.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Beginners' Marine Navigation - where to start? 12 years 5 months ago #59369

Coast Gurad Auxiliary or Power Squadron classes. Also can advise you on equipment

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Beginners' Marine Navigation - where to start? 12 years 5 months ago #59381

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You're smart to ask. Piloting and Seamanship by Chapman. That's probably required reading for the Coast Guard or Power Squadron classes. It' good to have a copy regardless. Good luck.

Re:Beginners' Marine Navigation - where to start? 12 years 5 months ago #59385

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I second the Chapmans recommendation. Also, the power squadron course- I think it should be mandatory for all boaters. If you want to get a little more indepth, pick up a copy of "American Practical Navigator" too.

Re:Beginners' Marine Navigation - where to start? 12 years 5 months ago #59400

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
And I will also second the above. Classes and Chapman's. You need to learn basic coastal navigation and dead reckoning. You will need charts (real navigation charts not road maps) a pair of dividers, and a navigation plotter www.amazon.com/Pocket-Navigation-Plotter-Lifetime-Guaranteed/dp/B003TYFPPE , some # 2 pencils, a watch ( any old digital watch is good enough) and a compass. If you buy a hand held compass for taking bearings that would be good but it's not a requirement. www.coastalboating.net/Cruising/Seamanship/Compass/HandBearingCompass.html

Learn to navigate first before you go out and buy a marine GPS unit or chart plotter or any other sophisticated equipment. People navigated around the world for centuries with bad charts, a clock, and a magnetic compass. So you don't need fancy equipment. If you want it later, ok, but it should be an option not a necessity, and definitely not something that you rely on to be your only means of getting from A to B. Batteries die, engines fail and the fog rolls in, and you still have to get home.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024