• Page:

TOPIC: push-pull vs cable steering

push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #58998

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i planned on just replacing the cables in my steering setup and running with that but a parts boat i bought recently has a push-pull system in it that is brand-new. it'd mount to my motor and everything. wondering if i should ditch the cable and pulley setup and go with the push-pull...

thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59006

Personal preference. They both work great if set up right and maintained. I have the original set-up for cable steering in my "59 Thompson and it works great. Push - pull is the newer set-up and works great also, if properly maintained ( greased when needed, ect.)
Bill

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59025

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
my question stems from my apprehensions about the cables. i just keep thinking... if only one of the screws holding just one of the pullies fails, i could lose all ability to turn in one direction and be totally hosed. considering that these systems exist, i assume my apprehensions to be due to my overactive paranoia and not fact. but, in the face of a free brand-new push-pull system, i have to ask if there's an advantage to one over the other.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59033

Push pull cable systems are a good set up if the cable is properly greased. If not there is no other feeling in the world when you are wide open and the cable seizes up in a turn. Or the transom mount decides to break on you. Then you have no steering. Add the cost of a new cable to the day at around 100.00 bucks. All in all they are a good setup justtake good care of it. I have seen cable systems from the early 60s that are still working fine. It is just a personal choice on which you choose.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59079

I can vouch for the cable steering. Mine is still the original from 1960.

Bob

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59081

as is mine........

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59085

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
my boat is a 1962 and the cables and pullies were still intact when i got the boat as well... i'm just paranoid i suppose. it's nice (not really, but hopefully you know what i mean) to hear that the push/pull systems had issues as well. i'd just assume stick with what's time tested and proven (and is also already on my boat) than to experiment with a different system that also has its drawbacks. all of this information has helped to put my mind at ease. thanks to all for the input!

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59086

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
in other news, does anyone need a new push/pull cable? =)

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59092

I personally like the old-style cable system because they look correct on the boats I have, BUT, I think a strong argument could be made that the newer push/pull style is the better system, particularly if you want to go fast. Of course, the old cable systems have worked successfully for years, but virtually all modern boats (that are not using hydraulic steering) use the push/pull. It's not cheaper, so there must be a reason. Part of the reason is that it is a much tighter system. The springs in the old style system add an inherent looseness that cannot be avoided, plus you have cable stretch, multiple mounting points to fail, etc. Many push/pull cables mount through the tilt tube on the motor, which is a very secure mounting and avoids the need to mount anything to the transom which could come loose. Also, if a push/pull cable locks up, the boat doesn't violently lurch, like it might if any part of an old style system broke. All-in-all, I think the push/pull system is much more reliable, which is another reason virtually all boat manufacturers have gone to it (unless they go hydraulic).

In summary, for safety and performance, I believe the push/pull is the better of the two. That said, for me the old style is good enough, and I like the way it looks, so that's what I'm using.

Shannon in Crystal River

Shannon

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59104

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A big factor is the size of the motor- remember when cable systems were invented, motors didn't have nearly as much hP as we do today. A modern steering system is far more reliable, safer, and easier to deal with than cables.

Rigged properly, and paired with a suitably sized motor, there is nothing at all wrong with Pullies and cables. If you're going for the vintage look, there is no substitute. Just keep them adjusted properly, and periodically inspect all the fittings to make sure they're in good shape and tightened down.

I Put a modern rotary system on my glasspar when I repowered it last year, and really like it. I was able to reuse most of the original hardware ( wheel, bezel, etc) so it maintains a vintage look with modern convinience.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59105

I installed hydraulic steering on my '62 Power Cat 14T with a '63 Merc 1000 last summer. The boat came with a Ride Guide steering system that after 50 years sorta gave up the ghost. With very bad shoulders, I opted for the easiest steering I could get, which is hydraulic. Of course, nothing about it is vintage, but that's okay. Both the boat and motor are customized and updated in a # of ways. I want to enjoy it, not show it. Once in a while, I like to go fast too!

Frank

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59113

i agree with most of what has been said....i like the look of cables on an old fined boat...part of what it is.....i had a 1978 glastron ssv176 that i bought in 1983....a five year old boat...i greased the cables twice a summer....(no idea what the po did)....had it about a year and the steering got really stiff so i had to buy a new push pull cable (six years old)....if i get a 1965 or newer boat (don't know why i would) i'd use push pull....after 31 years of doing warantee on new model cars and trucks i think anything can go wrong with anything...i'll keep the cables on my red fish....john

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59116

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I've never had any issues with either one. I use what came in the boat originally. The one thing I like about the pulley and cable system it that if there is a problem it is all out there in the open where you can find and fix problems fast.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59166

I just overhauled my 1970 Sea King cable/drum/pulley system. It's sweet! Make sure all pulleys and terminal fittings are through the hull. I feel confident in it personally. I had to buy 250 feet of 3/16 vinyl boating cable and probably used 40 feet. Made in Atlanta Georgia by Tie-Down Engineering. If anyone needs cable let me know. I'm sort of an engineering type and can say that there is nothing wrong with a well maintained cable system for smaller HP motors. It's pretty dang simple and easy to visually inspect as well.
Attachments:

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59179

Both work, but the push pull is superior. If you want a 100% original trailer queen, or if the boat can not fit the push-pull, then that makes your choice easy. As far as performance and safety - the push-pull is a quantam leap ahead of tiller cable & pully. I had a pully fail on my Reinell Jetflite 2 years ago - only seconds after a high speed run of 40+ mph. The cable went "ka-pow" & suddenly there was no steering. Thanks to God for that one. I removed the old stuff & installed a push pull with an adapter plate I machined, so the original wheel & chrome bezel could be kept. With the exception of the ti rod at the engine - it loks all original.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59230

On my 1959, 14' Whitehouse, I put a push/pull system, because a boat was being junked, and it had the perfect size, I needed.
Not orig, but, either is the Yamaha outboard!
There is no play in the system, and for non orig. boat, a great improvement.
For an accurate restore, not the steering needed.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59507

daddye, Im interested in purchasing some of that cable from you. I am currently in the process of restoring my 63 Duo X15. Let me know What you want per ft. I just pulled mine apart yesterday and will get the measurement of what I need and post it on here. I want to stay with the original pulley cable system to keep it looking the same.

Re:push-pull vs cable steering 12 years 5 months ago #59509

Just measured my old cable and 40 ft will do it. let me know the cost, thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online