Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter?

Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58717

Hi,

Ok, I have a 69 Larson Valero went to replace the carb and battery, went to hook up the battery was in a rush and connected positive to neg and neg to pos, started smoking (dash panel and alternator that I could tell). So I reconnected battery appropriately and all I get is a click, clunk which sounds like a bad starter, Iit use to crank up prior to battery stupidity)

So did I fry the starter? and The started solenoid?

I know I have to replace the alternator, but finding a started for a 69 120HP inboard is a challenge, so I was hoping that maybe someone here might know a good source for starters and or be able to tell me most likely what needs to be replaced (starter, solenoid, etc )

I feel so stupid!!!! Arrrggg I made Charlie Brown Look good!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58727

Try your local "auto electric" shop. They can rebuild your stuff at a fair price. Your alternator is just a Ford or Chevy in a explosion proof case. Let us know what find out.

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58739

Where are you located? If there are others here in your area they might have more specific shops to help you out.

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58742

First of all, I would replace the solenoid and see what happens. When you're trying to start something and only hear a click, seven out of ten times it's the solenoid. They're generally not very expensive, can be bought at local places like NAPA, and can't hurt to replace anyways.

Starters shouldn't be hard to find, you just need to know what to look for. If you had given a serial # for your motor (I'm assuming it's a Mercruiser?) it wouldn't be too difficult to get you a part #.

Here's a web site with a bunch of starters: www.wholesalemarine.com/c/1100040204/Starters.html

Best of luck,

Frank

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58750

Reversing the polarity should NOT hurt the starter or solenoid.

Hook 12 volts directly to the positive stud on the starter & see if it turns.

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58751

Good point Jim. Just make sure the starter is grounded when you test it.

Frank

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58755

Alternator is probably fried with smoke coming out. Starter should be OK. If smoke was coming out of the dash you want to see what was smoking under there and fix it. Check all your fuses. It may be small and maybe is. Solenoids don't like reverse polarity. It may be OK. Bypass it with a hot-wire directly to the started and see if it turns. If not take it off and have it tested. May as well have the alternator tested if you have a trip to the automotive wiring place. Many part stores offer the service but beware some always show the part to be bad just to sell you one.

Re:Not Paying Attention - Fried Starter? 12 years 6 months ago #58776

Thank you for the input!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online