Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: questions for folks with collections...

questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58538

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
what do y'all do with old gas that's been sitting? i've now got 4 small tanks that have old gas in 'em and i just realized that i have no idea what to do with the gas. i'm assuming it's frowned upon to just dump it in the gravel next to my house.

and how does one dispose of a boat carcass? i considered giving them away on Craigslist but wanted to know what my other options are if that doesn't pan out. if i don't want to be sleeping in them, i need to get rid of 'em. i'm sure y'all know what that's like. :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58547

Depending on where you are, there maybe several options. Some places have a 1 free boat hull dump/month at the landfill. If it's not a total wreck, someone may want it for repair/re-paint practice. A marine trade school? A high school shop class? In a lot of places you'd leave for work w/ it sitting at the curb (off the trailer) w/ a BIG 'for free' sign & come home at 5 & it'd be gone.... Many municipalities let you fill your garbage can w/ it cut up small enough to fit. Others have a 2'X2' +/- bundled pieces junk day for garbage pickup. Fiberglass recycling is done in some places, not here, maybe there. Depending on your patience for no shows & looky-lou's, a free boat ad on CL may do it, but take some time.

Got kids? Pirate ship. Parade float. Sand box.

Large ugly flower planter 'box'. Worst mother's day gift EVER. For your mom, your wife, or her mother. :unsure: :ohmy: :dry:

White Elephant xmas gift? Hate your brother-in-law? Convince him its a good project to pass on to him...

I am well aware of the 'You'll be sleeping in them' look from my wife. Not done w/ the 1st boat demo, bought 2nd boat (Tin) a month ago & am picking it up on Wed this week. Dragged home a 3rd (exactly the same as the 1st) parts boat today. While driving it home, stopped & bought a boat, motor & trailer for a 3-way split w// my boss & our company. We'll train some of our people to work on a gelcoat alternative using the total wreck of a hull, he'll get the trailer, & I get the Merc500. ANd a boat I had in mind for a parts boat is now again available, at a much lower asking/OBO price. So there's the rub :S

Depending on your auto's engine, some add old boat gas to the truck/car gas tank a LITTLE at a time., and only to a 3/4 +full tank....Even the pre-mix gas. But it is not to be done w/ out careful consideration........

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58559

mix your old gas into the lawnmower a little at a time .

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58567

Yep, that's an even better idea, lawn mower gas

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58569

Pour it in the truck and give the values a bit more lubrication. I do it often.

Jim Savage

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58574

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It depends on how old and nasty the gas is... If it's REALLY old, and 'varnishy', with bits in it- You do NOT want to put it in anything that is running. Check with your local government (city, county,etc) to see if they have a disposal facility, we have one here for our county. If that fails, try asking around at mechanics shops to find out where they get rid of it.

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58582

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
the gas in all 4 can has been sitting for at least 3 years, probably closer to 4 or 5. i'll call around and see where to dispose of it. i have a buddy who would probably put it in his truck, but i doubt even he would take it. i just wasn't sure if disposal facilities existed, or where to call. didn't think to call a few of the local garages and see what they do. thanks for the tip!

seperately, Andgott, i haven't heard back from you about the cover for the bow light. i've sent a couple e-mails with no response.

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58596

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Give the gas a "sniff" test. If halfazz good enough, it will still smell like gas. If its gone bad, trust me, you will know it fast!

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58609

Well if your not in the city and you need to get rid of a stump, pour it on it and let it soak in real good, then burn it out. Keep the hose close just in case.

Bob

Re:questions for folks with collections... 12 years 6 months ago #58616

A town near us has a hazardous waste disposal on every other Saturday, they'd take it. Maybe some town near you does. We have several commercial businesses that heat with waste oil, they take all I want to bring. Ask around and see if there is anyone near you heating that way. Tractor, farm repair or big truck shops would be a good starting point. They've taken from 5 gallons to a 55 gallon drum of mine.

I would not put any varnish smelling gas in anything I own. It's not worth it. I have used it to burn brush and trash.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online