Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need help on what cloth or mat to use

need help on what cloth or mat to use 12 years 6 months ago #57846

• Tbergh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
hi guys i need your help again i need to know what fiberglass mat or cloth to use to repair gunnels and the pelling fiberglass on the transom here is the pictures
s998.photobucket.com/albums/af106/thadscub/1952%2014ft%20viking/?action=view¤t=miscboat133.jpg

thanks thad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:need help on what cloth or mat to use 12 years 6 months ago #57856

Is the transom sound? All that peeling would make me very suspicious! If it is, you could just use cloth and then sand it smooth. Cloth is best to use for non-structural stuff. Good luck!

Frank

Re:need help on what cloth or mat to use 12 years 6 months ago #57889

• Tbergh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for the help yes the transom is sound it is only about 2 inches across the the whole transom.

thanks thad

Re:need help on what cloth or mat to use 12 years 6 months ago #57901

To ensure the transom is sound, you should drill, down low, from the inside about 1" deep into the transom wood and check the shavings. If they are light tan in color and dry then yep, she's good to go. If they are dark, and wet or really powdery and dry then the transom will need to be replaced. If she is sound, fill the holes with 3M 4200 sealant. If the Fiberglass is delaminating then you need to peel it off and then grind or sand the wood and lay fresh glass. I'd recommend a good laminating polyester resin with no wax and two layers of 1.5 oz Chopped Strand Mat followed by a layer of 1708 biaxial cloth. You should ensure the glass extends a minimum of 6-8" onto the sides and bottom of the hull

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online