• Page:

TOPIC: Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By

Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57711

• Split
  • Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mt Dora, Fla, VINTAGE RACE Fly-By DEATH, Sat noon, Jersey Skiff group.. The ORLANDO SENTAL newspaper has the article of 53 yr GUY thrown out on Lap two & run over by adjacent boat. Resident of Stuart, Fla , Lady Passenger (?) survives ejection.. Activities suspended on Sat, & resumed Sunday am.. NOt good for Hobby.

my neighbor / friend Roger H is there with his Molinari tunnel & member of this vintage hydro assn.. Have shows all over the east coast.. I / we have been to this Mt Dora show many years & the two person Jersey Skiffs bounce right from leaving the Docks. !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57712

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57714

Larry, that is indeed some sad news!

Here is the actual text from the "Orlando Sentinel":

5:30 p.m. EST, March 18, 2012
Comments0ShareNew The 2 boats that were involved in the deadly incident Sunday. (Jerry Fallstrom/Orlando Sentinel))

A day after a boater died at the Spring Thunder Regatta on Lake Dora in Tavares, two other boaters were killed when their boats collided.

A spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission identified the two dead men as Charles Woodruff, 64, of Jensen Beach, and Dea Wiseley, 73, of Sun City.

Hill said Woodruff's boat, named "Buckeye Kid," ran over the top of Wiseley's boat, called "Shock-Wave," this afternoon.

"At that point, both of these men were ejected," Hill said.

Hill said that authorities don't know all the details of the incident at this time. The crash could be attributed to wave action, operator error or equipment failure, she said.

"There are numerous reasons why these things happen," Hill said. "That's why we aim to find out."

According to Joyce Ross, a Tavares city spokeswoman, the crash happened about 2:15 p.m.

"As far as we are concerned, every safety precaution was taken," Ross said.

Today's fatal crash was the second to mar the event. On Saturday, Mark Van Winkle, 53, of Stuart, was ejected from a Jersey Skiff during a demonstration lap — then struck by another boat and died, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Joy Hill said. The event was suspended for the day.

After today's fatalities, the boating event was canceled.

Earlier in the day, Mike Yobe, vice president of the Classic Race Boat Association, confirmed to the Sentinel that an accident happened today, but he did not offer details.

This is a developing story. Check back for details.

Arelis R. Hernandez and Steven M. Ford contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2012, Orlando Sentinel

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57721

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
sad. very, very sad.

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57722

That is very sad. I feel bad for their families.

Bob

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57723

Man o man, terrible news. Talk about having a bad weekend.

Makes me wonder about running more regattas.

Frank

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57727

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..Here is their assn website LINK www.classicraceboatassoc.com/ No doubt in the spot light now. My friend has a big Seven Liter restored Hydro tring to sell
since last year . ! Think over $ 65 K

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57774

Bad news, they did what they loved. Be safe, guys...

Hello, World!!

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57817

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow, thats so sad...
Kinda changes my thoughts about being there in a few days... I was all excited, now just curious how folks will reacting in the coming days...

Re:Mt Dora,Vintage Rally Show DEATH, Sat noon, Fly-By 12 years 6 months ago #57819

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..Jim,: Even though the same town park is used both weekends. . There are two different assn that have classic shows.. The ACBS
show event is more of a land display , / vendor / sales corral.
The reaceboats were more of a Fly- By photo op,, that I am assuming the same class boats were trying to get close together for
tight photo action.

This weekend show will have some judging & sponsor trophies / plaques donated by groups...Most of the docked boats stay on display , or early morning photo shots... It still is a big vacation times for the Northern members to meet new collectors in their various clubs.. I displayed with the GLasspar group last year & we had a big turnout.... I heard there is a good group of Feather Craft Aluminum owners coming..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online