• Page:

TOPIC: It's that time!

It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57547

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Well it finally got warm enough to start on the Clipper's trailer. Actually been low 70's all week!!!!!!!!!

Took me a few hours by myself to get this done but she's on blocks finally. Got it done Saturday.

Had to put her that high to get the darn trailer out from under her. Thank God I bought that Harbor Freight cherry picker, really helped to pick up the front deck using the deck eye. It's tied to the bow eye inside with 10 guage aluminum "bar" about 4" wide, bent to match deck and bow angle inside.

I guess I have to put the trailer restoration project in the new project forum or can I get away with it in the trailer forum?

Ken, Kelly thoughts?

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57549

Very cool Bob, good for you. Ah yes, engine hoists, chain falls, stuff like that allows us all to keep doing the things we love to do. I have my Power Cat sitting on pallets in my pole barn thanks to chain falls. I hope to lift it back up and put it back on its renovated trailer a week from this coming weekend.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57554

I would feel much better if you put you block under it differently. That block is not designed to carry weight on the webbing. I seen them fail supporting weight like that. All it takes is a small crack. Not to make you mad but would hate to see it happen. :ohmy: Can't wait to see it finished.

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57557

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Frank.

Robert, thanks, didn't think it would be that bad but for a $1.50 each I can always go get two more. ;)

Bob

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57559

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Bob. DOUBLE ditto what Robert said. Looks good though. Good luck.

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57560

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nothing like some warm weather to get the juices flowing again. The 70's are unusual for us especially when the norm high is 38. Is this going to be a tear down project or just a repaint so you can get the boat back where it belongs with a wet bottom. Either way each day is closer to boating season.
Ditto on the concrete block, not good.
Cal
Attachments:

Re: It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57564

Bob,

Either or would be fine but if it's a restoration project, maybe in the Member Projects would be good. We can always move them.

Ken

Hello, World!!

Re: It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57568

Yep, definately stack the blocks on their side like the bottom one is. Those things can shatter at the least little bump , especially when vertical and all the weight directed into that center area.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57573

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the input guys. New to this block stuff. I guess if I was still down Pensacola Florida way I'd be an old pro by now, trailer on blocks wheels off, car on blocks wheels off, in the yard of course! :woohoo:
I'll get two more blocks tomorrow on the way home from work.

Cal, it will be a complete tear down. Have most of it apart already. I'll post it in the projects forum

Ken, thanks I'll start it in the projects forum.

Bob

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57581

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking forward to watching your trailer project thread Bob, "good on ya" for digging in and getting at it! Kinda un-nerving setting your boat off the trailer, right!? Proud of the gang here for the blocking advise, well done guys. ;)

This weather has been kinda crazy (good)! Spring doesn't officially start until next week, and it's already been in the 80's here for the past couple days.

Mark

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57582

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Go Bob. Rainy here in central Idaho, lake is a fillin'.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57584

This weather is driving me nuts! I'm afraid that if I don't get my trailer finished, boat on it, "new" (vintage) jack plate mounted, and finally, the old trusty merc on, I may miss boating season. I worry about how we're all gonna pay for this spring/summer weather in winter!

Frank

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57585

I had a good friend had a block break while his leg was under a truck. He was lucky enough to come out with minor injuries.

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57589

bob its great to see you going on your trailer,and the guys are right about the block,but i see another dangerous situation,the blocks at the stern are leaning just a little,and they slide easily when on top of each other,heck with your fantastic wood working skills,you could build a quick rack for the back of the boat,and make it so that the sides are tied together,so that they dont tip outwards,like the blocks might do,i used to put double wide mobile homes together,and blocks slide easily,especially if they are not perfectly plumb.
i cant wait to see the progress on the trailer,now back for me to sanding drywall,lol,i envy you guys working on boat stuff,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57591

Bob, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I just jaced up the rear of my Owens till it was clear of trailer and then stacked wood blocks and lowered it. Then I used cargo straps around center bow and hoisted with chain falll from rafters and pulled trailer out and lowered bow onto blocks. Just reversed ops to put it back on trailer. My old ass did it by myself when it was in the 90's and humid down here... Have fun!!""

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57623

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys.

john, i think that's probably an optical illusion from the camera angle but I'm going to double check them again tomorrow morning. Got two more blocks to put under the front. I'm hoping it isn't up there long enough to really have to worry about it. ;) But I will double check it.

Joe, Yeah would have been a lot easier if I could have used the Gantry I made but the ceiling is only 8' in the shed and I floored in the upper storage area so I can't really mount a chain fall up there so it was a little tricky. Engine hoist ended up working just fine though.

Bob

Re:It's that time! 12 years 6 months ago #57690

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, update pic with new reinforcement.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, now off to the trailer restoration thread to add more pics.

Bob
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online