• Page:

TOPIC: New Boat Owner need help

New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57522

• mont925
  • mont925's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello my husband and I just bought this boat and I have gone crazy trying to find a replacement top (not a bimini top) but the enclosed kind of top? I notice that on the windshield has button fastners to snap on a cover. Any help is appreciated! :blush:

1964 Glasspar Seafair Sunliner
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57523

Generally they need to be custom made. They did not come on boats from the manufacturer. Those snaps on yours mean somebody previously had something on it (maybe just a mooring cover) that used those snaps. Most any upholstery place could quote you a price, or at least give you an idea of local businesses that do that sort of custom work.

Frank

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57524

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
HELLO MONT.:WELCOME fellow Glasspar ,, we are in Chattanooga, Tenn,, up from the Florida crowd...Frank is sort of correct, the style of the 60's is more of a bimini in 2000's... The half top , snap to the windshield is called navy top ,, & any left 40 + years will be to stiff / britle to use... Try to post a few pics of other Glasspars.
A Fla Blue sunliner had the front top made with plastic ,clear panels for extra light / view of the glass.... A zip on back half could be the nighttime mooring cover.

........................ Again WELCOME, Sorry for the delay.

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57541

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
As others have said you'll need to have a top made if you want the navy top.
Also the boat you show in the picture is not a Seafair Sunliner. No hatch to the front deck, no wooden rubbing strake, no rim around the front deck and the lines of the windshield side glass are not long enough to be a Sunliner. Pretty sure that is a Glasspar Citation. Very common for titles to show incorrect information when the boat has been around for so many years. Citation was a great boat....about a foot and a half shorter then the Seafair series. Seafair was 17'6" through the centerline and Citation was 16'.

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57574

If you don't have any luck at the upholstery shop check out a tent and awning repair shop. Any local boat dealer can probably help you out with that.
Bill

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57592

• mont925
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow thank you so much for the warm welcome and for getting back to me so quickly! I will check local stores around here and you are right about it not being a Sunliner just thought it was that since the windows don't match to the Citation but maybe they changed them during the years! Who knows but still excited we are taking her out tonight to fish out at the Delta (North Cali) and we got the navigation lights to work :kiss: woo hoo! Hope everyone has a great weekend! :lol:

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57614

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yes, the Citation model changed over the years. Started with a curved glass one piece windshield in 1960 and changed to several other styles over the years. Also got a little longer in the later years. My grandfather bought a 1960 Citation new and it's been beat up by family having a great time in it over the years but it's still around and being restored (slowly) by it's current owner...me. A suggestion. Some local input on sources might be found here.

www.goldenstateglassics.com/

Several people in the delta are in that group and may have suggestions. Also several outings each year with some pretty good people involved if you would be interested. Not suggesting the website as a replacement for this one but could be a good additional one. It started as a sub-section of Fiberglassics. A lot of people do frequent both sites but not all.

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57639

welcome to you and your husband,this is just a thought,but since you are going to have snaps for the top anyhow,maybe think about also getting a mooring cover made,it will help alot to keep your interior in great shap,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57659

Welcome to the Glasspar World!!! Most upholstry shops can make that top for you, possibly using the old snaps also.

Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:New Boat Owner need help 12 years 6 months ago #57883

• mont925
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I joined the Golden State Glassics but this site was way faster to approving my account than that site so I posted here first. I think you are right about the mooring cover we really think that is best for the boat and just choose to go with a Bimini top since previous owner gave us the hardware for it we just need a top I noticed ebay sells just tops so maybe for now while our pockets grow green paper again :blush:. Thank you for the welcome this site is by far my favorite site! Thank you again for guiding me and passing some knowledge to a newbie :kiss: have a great day!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online