Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88

removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57381

HELP:

Looking for instructions on how to safely remove a bait station from the rear deck of an 66 Viking sportfish. Need more room now that the kids are getting older and bringing friends on the boat. I don't want to damage the underlying deck. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, MK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57382

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
mkgrop. Welcome to the forum.
A little more info would help,is it a stand alone unit or is it molded into the deck? If it's molded onto the deck you could cut it out where the sidewalls meet the deck. A multi max cutter would work good for this. Trim off the walls, grind or sand down any rough edges that would be left. Are there holes for a drain in the deck or transom? Those would need to be blocked off or fille.
Pictures would be nice also.
Attachments:

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57414

Sir:

Thank you for the welcome and the response. It is not a stand alone but it is not molded into the deck either. One of my brother's indicated it was a factory add on. I will take photos and forward to you. There are openings in the hull for the hoses, and the flybridge ladder ties into the bait station at the bottom. The wood is rotted in a couple of spots on the bait station and I have removed all of the screws that hold it in. It seems to be glued (?) into the deck or has been there so long that it has fused. Thanks again and I will be back when I have photos. Michael

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57431

Michael,
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. As Cal has mentioned, pics will help us help you. Make sure they aren't too big when you post. Take from several angles if possible.

Bob

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57450

Will do and thanks Bob. Michael

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57654

take a look at some of the photos and let me know what you think. Thanks Michael

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57661

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think you need to resize your photos, they are not posting.
Cal

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57696

I spent an hour yesterday trying to. I'm taking more today w/ an older digital (vs my kids Iphone) hopefully that'll do the trick. Thanks Cal.

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57697

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's a link you may find helpful Michael, it has some good info how to resize and post pics fairly easily;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/7-support/22256-how-to-post-pictures.html

Mark

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57700

thanks mark

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57754

:blush:
I THINK I did it. I hope this attaches. It took me 2 days of playing around w/ it and thankfully Mark S. sent me the instructions. Take a look and hopefully I can get going. I don't dare touch anything until I have a plan. Michael
Attachments:

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #57755

:laugh:

I did it. Take a look
Attachments:

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58071

bob Any thoughts now that I posted the photo? I am waiting for some explicit instructions before I dare take this on. Any advice would help. Michael

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58076

Michael, sorry been distracted with my trailer rehab project. From what I can see in the pic it looks like it was a separate piece than the main. When you look inside the cabinet do you see any rivets of some sort tying the right side to the bulkhead? What about the let side, how is it attached to the back bulkhead? Also can't quite tell what that is along the back of the top area. Are those holes from where the tops were hinged and mounted? Is there some kind of flange that wraps down the back in order to mount it to the back bulkhead? I'm guessing it isn't mounted to the floor, probably just sitting on it and maybe just silicone sealed around the bottom to the floor. Sorry for more questions but need to know so you can proceed. If it's just riveted to the bulkheads, than you should just be able to drill the rivets out or grind the head off then pull it away from the back and side bulkhead. I wouldn't think it's glassed to the side or back but I could be wrong. Hard to tell without close ups.

Bob

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58115

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I agree with Bob. If you do not want to save the box I would go at it with a sawzall or multi tool piece by piece. Start in the middle to stay away from the bulkhead. As you get closer to the sides you should be able to determin how it is attached.

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58149

Bob:

I am trying to attach another. Those are ssrew n the back and there is a reinforced fiberglass strip in b/w the biat station and the boat. it looks like screws AND putty or resin even. Take a look. I am thinkng about ripping it out all the wat to the ladder to open up space, and placing a double chair there. I don't dare try to rebuild, but might leave part of it in place and tryo to buildig a bench w/ the guts of it.
Attachments:

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58161

Either one would work. If you know you'll never use it again then rip it out. It would give a lot more room. You could just cut the upper half off and turn it into a bench. Reinforce the inside with wood and build a top for it. Put a cushion on it and call it done. you can keep the big opening by making a door for it and use it for storage. Just a thought.

Bob

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58198

Thanks Bob. Now I have to defer to the boss. I'm for the storage w/ doors, as I am not confident in making a bench (Though I would love to give it a try). The kids will have a vote, too, but She's the CEO; I am just labor and security.

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58222

Yep, know how that goes all too well. ;) I meant a bench set WITH storage underneath it. Wish I was better with Photoshop and I could show you what I mean. Do you have a pic showing the whole area, in relation to the whole boat?

Bob

Re:removal of fiberglass bait station from deck of 88 12 years 6 months ago #58258

Bob:

I will try to shrink it so it will fit and send it to you. I know what you're talking about and that is what I am probably leaning towards. Thank you, Michael

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online