Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR

WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57339

I cant not find the hull id # on my 1957 larson thunderhawk jr. i did find a tag and the dash area that says "southern california aircraft corp" and it has a 3 digit serial # but i do not think it is the hull #. can anyone tell me where to look for the hull#. thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57340

another pix
Attachments:

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57341

tag
Attachments:

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57342

Some boats have or had in the case if yours is gone either on or near the dash or on the inside of the transom. Alot of boats seem to lose them in 50 years or so. I'm not sure about where your was.

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57348

You found it. On the dashboard. That's the only ID -- the serial number.

The boat will not have a US Coast Guard 12 character MIC (manufacturer's identification code). That system started in 1972.

This company was a licensee of Larson Boat Works of Little Falls, MN, making Larson boats for Larson Boat Works.

Andreas

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57349

thanks for the two replies so far but because of my ignorance i'm still a little confused. if i go down to register this boat the dmv will except this 3 digit # as my id /hin#. i would like to research the registration # on the front of the boat to see if it will give me a hin # or past history but i think its been out of the system for many many years now and has no history. if it has is there any way to find out past history on boats. thanks again for all the help and support.

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57353

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The registration process probably varies state to state Boozer, I don't recall what state you're in sorry. Some states make it a nightmare, others just want to collect the money. Georgia recently registered a 71 model (pre "MIC" or HID" #) for me and listed the HID # as "Exempt". I had a notarized bill of sale, (with serial number listed), and they made me produce a title since it was bought in a "title state" for boats (Virginia), but it all worked out okay in the end.

The only thing I CAN tell you for certain is make sure you get all the paperwork straight BEFORE beginning restoration or renovation! :ohmy:

Mark

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57386

In ca my boat uses the s/n which is 2326. Although they show the builder as Hustler the Tag like yours shows Classic Boat Corp. Santa Ana. model no. blank. Serial no. 2326. Th DMV also lists this as the HIN no.
The Title says undocumented vessel builder Hustler yr built 1959 yr model 1959 length 15'00"
So in Ca. they may use the serial as the HIN and call it an undocumented Vessel I know mine was registered since at least 1985 since I had all of the registrations given to me.
Attachments:

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57388

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57392

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
See HIN 101 for boat owners. newboatbuilders.com/docs/HIN-101-for-boat-owners.pdf

Every state has been given the authority by the US Coast Guard to assign Hull Identification Numbers to back yard built boats, or old boats that don't have one. Some states are very strict about this, others don't care. Most have a check box on the registration application or a form that says, to the affect, either you built the boat, or the boat was built before 1972. if you check the box they assign an HIN. But as I said some don't do it for old boats.

When I registered my 1972 Sea Ray in Washington state the clerk had me check the box but she didn't assign an HIN. She used the manufacturers serial number on the capacity plate. Do I care? no. Hey I used to enforce these laws, but if they don't care, WTF?

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57449

Boozer, This is not a 1957, 57s did not have bezels around the taillights, or a vinyl rubrail. Made by SCAC its probably a 1959.

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57625

after a little research i feel your right. i now know its a 1959. thanks for the info and your knowledge.

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57709

Boozer,
I'd guess late 1958/early 1959. On my '59 the serial number is located on the top of the control block on the starboard side. it is a metal plate that has been fiberglassed over. If the interior of your boat has ever been painted over, it might be under the paint. Mine was built in Little Falls, and of course, the California licensee could have done everything different. I'd say that the number on the dash plate would be right. If you do find another number on the control block, there was an alpha/numeric code that identifies the year. I do know that there were a number of holdover boats at the California plant into the early 60's. They were fixed up and sold before the Brunswick takeover.

Lee Wangstad

Re:WHERE IS THE HULL # ON 1957 LARSON THUNDERHAWK JR 12 years 6 months ago #57710

Boozer,
I'd guess late 1958/early 1959. On my '59 the serial number is located on the top of the control block on the starboard side. it is a metal plate that has been fiberglassed over. If the interior of your boat has ever been painted over, it might be under the paint. Mine was built in Little Falls, and of course, the California licensee could have done everything different. I'd say that the number on the dash plate would be right. If you do find another number on the control block, there was an alpha/numeric code that identifies the year. I do know that there were a number of holdover boats at the California plant into the early 60's. They were fixed up and sold before the Brunswick takeover.

Lee Wangstad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online