Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bedding Stringers

Bedding Stringers 12 years 6 months ago #57325

When you guys lay up new stringers do you usually bed them directly to the hull or do you tab them in with a spacer under them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bedding Stringers 12 years 6 months ago #57333

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I did some research on this before installing the stringers in my project Dustin, and was told to avoid the "hard spots" created when putting the stingers directly against the hull. I used 1/4" of PL adhesive (by 3M, I believe) available at the building supply stores. I had some large rubber o-rings that were 1/4" diameter and cut them up into small pieces to use as spacers to maintain the spacing while the PL set up. Maybe overkill, but I wrapped the stringer wood with 1708 biax before installing, just to make them stronger and more waterproof? Then filet the stringers to the hull with peanut butter mix, and 'glass them in.

Mark

Re:Bedding Stringers 12 years 6 months ago #57344

When I did mine I bedded them with fiberglass as I went. They turned out good. I didn't encase mine because of the special construction. My wood is exposed. In fact I'm going to pull my deck out to check my wood. Mine is made so I can take two large wood screws out and lift the deck out seats and all. It just takes two people. They have never came loose from the bedding fiberglass.

Re:Bedding Stringers 12 years 6 months ago #57365

Here's a drawing of how I recommend doing stringers.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online