Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The steering system post got me wondering

The steering system post got me wondering 12 years 6 months ago #57199

I have been needing to recable my pulley system. And was wondering; What is the need for the pulleys at the engine and the springs. It seems to me, (and I'm usally wrong and missing a important point), that routing the cables through the fore and aft pulleys then a turnbuckle (with lock nuts to secure the setting) ending with a swivel connection at the motor. Seems that would provide a tighter linkage, with adjustments for cable streaching. So, my learned colleges. What is the pulleys at the motor and the springs do? To me they seem to provide a more 'loose' system. If that makes sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The steering system post got me wondering 12 years 6 months ago #57203

The pulleys on the motor "gear down" the system and make turning the wheel easier. In addition to the springs keeping tension on the system, they also allow stretch in the system when you tilt the motor up. If you make a system rigid/tight with turnbuckles, I am not sure that you will be able to get the motor up.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re: The steering system post got me wondering 12 years 6 months ago #57229

Plus without the springs you will feel a lot of vibration at the wheel from the engine

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:The steering system post got me wondering 12 years 6 months ago #57262

Thanks for the info. I guess there usally are reasons for the way most everything is done. Just sometimes they are not appearent.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online