Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to go about building a steering system?

How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57150

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, the boat is a '67 MFG Edinboro Special. It has a '67 Evinrude 80HP Selectric shift. Currently the boat has pulleys and cables, that simply I don't trust. Even if they were new I'm not sure I could, I just don't like the fact of those cables and plastic pulley's with the responsibility of holding that power. I'll be having my friends in the boat, and being responsible for their safety, I would like a good cable steer system that will mount up to this motor. Where can I get a good deal on a rotary system, and where can I get the correct hardware to mount the cable to my boat, then adapt the cable end to this older motor. I have an older teleflex rotary steering mechanism, but I'm positive the cable isn't long enough, and I hope I may use it, but please refer me to kits nonetheless. Thanks for the help folks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57160

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The complete kits are available many places 007, but here's the one that usually has the lowest prices (including shipping);
boats.wholesalemarine.com/index/_/N-/Ntt-steering%20system
Here's how to measure for the right length cable;

For the clevis (connector) on the motor, I'd call Joe at;
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com/

Mark

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57164

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with cable and pulley steering.

I have it on a 1966 Evinrude 100 HP. It's been on the 1966 Chris-Craft/Thompson boat since new. The cable has been replaced, of course. Had it on a 1967 Merc 1100 (110 HP) on a 17 ft. Thompson from 1967 to 2005 or so. No problems. Now the boat has twin 1957 Johnson 35 HP motors but still has cable/pulley steering.

I trust cable/pulley steering with my life. I have boated on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior with it. I have no concerns.

Andreas

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57167

I trust cable/pulley steering with my life. I have boated on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior with it. I have no concerns.

I agree and to go further, all my hydroplane race boats are only cable and pulley...as most racers are

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57178

I changed my Custom Craft to the Teleflex, sorry I did.

Cable and pulley looks and acts like it should.

Save yourself some money and stay with the pulley...

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57185

I concur with the "leave it be" philosophy. I have pulley and cable systems in my racing hulls, running speeds over 70mph. Never had a cable break or a pulley come apart...

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57187

i also agree...plastic covered cables can be found at home depot or marine grade is avalible for more $....metal rollers were common in the 50's 60's and can be found on ebay....garage door rollers are simular....makesure all the attachment spots are good wood and don't store stuff where the cables run.....john

Re:How to go about building a steering system? 12 years 6 months ago #57198

I'll throw my 2 cents in here also. I'm running original cable steering pulleys and cable on my '60 Wagemaker Clipper. Restored her about a year ago and left the original equipment on her and haven't had a problem yet. Ran her for two seasons so far. 18' with an Evinrude Fat Fifty on back.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online