Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Stardust or Shark?

1959 Stardust or Shark? 12 years 7 months ago #56778

First, I love finned boats!

I own a 1959 American Marc Stardust 14.6ft speedster, small fins but awesome wings. I've stripped it down, confirmed it has a good bottom and core. Haven't dug into the transom yet but everything looks and feels good. I loved the boat's design and appearance when I got it, but now I'm not so sure. It'll be fast, but I'm looking for a boat to fish. Now I have an option to buy a 1959 Red Fish 15ft Shark. Not sure of the condition of the bottom, core or transom yet, but...wow those fins. Point is, both boats would require considerable time, effort, sweat and resources to restore. I know the Stardust has the reputation of a speeder that's not good in moderate to rough seas. I know nothing about the Shark except it's got great fins. I can't keep em both, one will have to be...got rid of. Is the Red Fish Shark a good trade for an American Marc Stardust? Thoughts?

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Stardust or Shark? 12 years 7 months ago #56791

The American Mark looks very cool. Will you be running the boat in moderate to high chop? Is this a concern?

The wings could be a problem fishing. If you are trying to land a fish in a net, it could get under the wing and you'd loose sight. The other issue with the wings is that if you are at a dock and step too far out, the boat could tip dramatically.

Condition plays a lot. If the Redfish is a basket case, are you willing to do what it takes to bring it back and pass on a more solid boat?

If it were me, I'd do the American Mark. Way more unique. I wouldn't fish in it and save it for the lakes. Buy a cheap lumie with a small motor on CL and use that for fishing. Do you really want to crap up a restored boat with bait and fish residue?

Just my opinion.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Stardust or Shark? 12 years 7 months ago #56797

I am a major lover of RedFish boats. However I would never pass on that sexy blue Stardust beast. Just my 2 cents. :lol:
Andrew

Re:1959 Stardust or Shark? 12 years 7 months ago #56822

I'll be very frank. If you want a fishing boat, you should get a fishing boat. Get a Glastron or Marlin bow rider tri hull from the early 70s. They are all over the place & they were perfect for family weekends and fishing. Neither the American Marc or the Redfish were designed to be a sporting boat. These were pleasure boats, the Stardust even more so. The stardust has far wider a beam than the redfish. It will be infinately more stable when you stand up & move around in it. I know - I've owned 2 of them. 99.9% of old glass boats ride like crap in chop. That's reality of their flat hulls and light weight. In very rough water, the prow on the Stardust tends to "scoop" up water and push it up onto the bow. It has a very low freeboard - water gets in the boat very easily. If you want to stay dry in a Stardust, don't take it out on the water. Seriously. The Redfish has more freeboard, but many had no splashwell on the transom. BAD news in any boat - especially if it has a 15" transom which it probably does.

Both boats are coveted by collectors - the Stardust is more rare, and more desireable. It is a fun boat to drive if the transom & core are not rotted, which most of them are. Don't be fooled by the high speed claims for the boat from the original sales ads. It would take well over 100 HP to get a Stardust anywhere near 50 MPH.

Does your boat have Washington State tags by chance? It looks like a nice hull - it deserves to be restored back to original.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online