Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fiberglass cloth weight ?

Fiberglass cloth weight ? 12 years 7 months ago #56684

Super new user here....
I have a question about fiberglass cloth and mat weights ?
I checked out the "How to repair fiberglass" in the research section for 1/8 fiberglass deck.
With 5 layers of alternating mat and cloth, that comes out to .025" average thickness per layer. Is that bases on a 10oz cloth weight which is only .0154" thick ?
Is cloth weight based on the size of the weave ?

The reason I ask is: I just bought a "wreck" . I will have to replace stringers, deck supports, and fill an un-godly amount of screw, bolt and thru fitting holes. The gel coat is all checked. it's been painted 5 different colors. I'm sure I'm in over my head, and most likely made a poor decision to purchase the boat.
But it's an old 11 foot amusement ride bumper boat frrom the 50's that had a 5 HP engine in it for a small lake. I know it will cost a bunch to fix, but I don't think I'll ever find another one ? And my daughter is getting to the age that some day a grand child may have fun riding in it ?

In the near future, I'll have a boat load of questions (Ha-Ha)
But I plan on giving it a whirl ? I'll post some pictures once the wife finds out I bought it ! If I don't post any new questions within the next week or so, someone please call homicide, because my wife buried me in it, in the backyard !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Fiberglass cloth weight ? 12 years 7 months ago #56711

It's based on Weight per square yard.

Re:Fiberglass cloth weight ? 12 years 7 months ago #56723

Sounds like one of my projects! I would start by soda blasting to remove all the paint and then use an air scrapper to remove the badly cracked gel. I used this method on my Swimobile and it worked great!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online