• Page:

TOPIC: Speed Boat

Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56355

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56360

mount twin towers on that Neil

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56362

That's wild. A couple days ago I ran across the name Montana Homemade Boats (MTV), but that was all. It caught my attention being from MT. Couldn't find anything searching...now this :) Cool lookin' boat! I agree with MP twin towers, 12 cylinders pumpin'...it would fly!

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56363

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Montana Homemade boats is not a boat building company. Montana Home made boats means some individual built this boat, and the state of Montana assigned a Hull Identification Number to the boat. MTZ is the manufacturer ID Code assigned by the USCG to Montana. Or, it could be a production boat built before 1972 ( No HINs before 1972) and in later years Montana assigned it an HIN.

If this is a Cobra, there were (are) 13 companies building boats, named Cobra, such as Cobra Marine, Cobra Boats, Cobra Craft, etc. If you can narrow it down to a state where they were made it would easier to find out who made it.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56366

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I called this gentleman. He took the boat and the motor on trade or construction work.
I was just interested in the 600. He does not wish to seperate them.
Cool boat, seems as though I have seen that on the cover of a Mercury outboard brochure somewhere!?
Micheal you are right two sixes would be a hoot.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56419

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I found the brochure picture.
Seems as though there was some discussion in a thread here about the make of this boat. (But I can't remember where). Is it the same boat?
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56420

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Similar, but not the same-

Sponsons are different- They are rounded on the CL boat, more angular on the Merc cover.

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56422

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks. Not the same boat at all. Both are cool though.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56424

That is a very cool boat

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56498

Couldn't sleep, was couting boats listenin' to some tunes and this came by. It was in a big file of pics I hadn't got to yet. Looks like I saved it about 2 years ago, it's from FL, no more info.
Attachments:

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56500

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56501

CAT*FIN*k, that boat is a 1968 MTZ, a California made boat and quite possibly one of only three made. The owner lived just outside of Miami, Fl. but sold it some years ago (but not the motor). He is a known collector and everything he has is absolutely stunning - I am sure that boat was magnificent when you saw it.

Neil, grab it you can! I sure would if I was a little closer.
Ken
Attachments:

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56502

here's another pic.
Attachments:

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56530

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
That is a cool-looking boat! So is this yellow MTZ with Stacked Six the one referred to in the ad, that sold for Forty Large??

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56532

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ed
I had wondered that also. Downunder says he thinks that possibly three were built, so that may be the one.
This looks to be a potential investment. I can't swing it right now, but if anyone here can, I will gladly store it for them here in Idaho. It would be stored inside. Someone please save this girl!
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56533

I am half tempted to go take a look myself but I have to finish the motor in my Duster first. Looks way cool though. If he still has it next weekend I might head over for a closer inspection. I'll post pics if I go take a look.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56570

It is a cool boat, but I would want to know more history. Also, did the yellow one really sell for $45K, was it a charity auction things like that. Maybe the MT in MTZ is for Mickey Thompson, he like boats www.thompson-motorsports.com/boat.html Seems like it should have some prominence to bring that kind of money, not just because only 3 were built. The one in the ad looks to need a lot of work to look as good as the yellow one. Ad states the boat has damage from hitting a dock also. I would hate to spend $5K for the boat + transporting + $5-$7K restoration then find out the most someone is willing to spend is $5K to buy it when asking $45K with no motor.

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56571

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
You're not paying attention:

Montana Homemade boats is not a boat building company. Montana Home made boats means some individual built this boat, and the state of Montana assigned a Hull Identification Number to the boat. MTZ is the manufacturer ID Code assigned by the USCG to Montana. Or, it could be a production boat built before 1972 ( No HINs before 1972) and in later years Montana assigned it an HIN.

This boat was more than likely built by a pro but it was not assigned an HIN by them, so a previous owner got one from Montana.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56582

Ike wrote:

You're not paying attention:

This boat was more than likely built by a pro but it was not assigned an HIN by them, so a previous owner got one from Montana.

I understand what your saying. To me it would make a BIG differance in price if the boat was built in MT vs. CA. It is possable the boats were made in CA and registered in MT. Boat racing was very popular in MT when I lived there in the 60s. It is possable that they were built by MTZ or Montana Homebuilt Boats in the mid-sixties and called Cobra. Just because either company is not on the NCIC code list does not mean they never existed. Only building possable 3 boats and if they never regestering the Trade Mark could have gone under the radar back then. The Fiber-Resin Corp is not on the list but I've seen pictures and ads for Jet Cats. The South Seas Boat Co is not there but if it was a Somoan in the pic I'ld be making plans.

I would just like to see more on the history that is being factored into the asking price. With out the history it's just a cool old homemade boat, wrecked and looks like it's been setting in a field for a while. Jus' sayin' :unsure:

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56585

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
NCIC has nothing to do with assigning MIC codes. The codes you are citing a used only by NCIC. As part of my job with the USCG I assigned Manufacturer Identification Codes (MIC) (in this case MTZ is the MIC) to boat manufacturers. The USCG started doing this in 1972 as required under the Federal Boat Safety Act and the regulations which came out of the Act. We realized at the time that there would be a lot of home built boats, and boats built by manufacturers before 1972 that did not have Hull Identification Numbers (HIN). In the regulations there is specific provision for states to issue an HIN to a home built boat or a boat built prior to 1972. To facilitate this the USCG assigned to each state a MIC. Monatana's is MTZ (all of them are the state code used in boat registrations followed by Z) For instance Florida is FLZ, New York NYZ and so on. We have assigned close to 13,000 MICs, some of which, when a company has been out of business for many years, are reassigned to a new company.

All of the data in NCIC on boat manufacturers comes directly from the USCG. I was the one sending them the data between 1995 and 2004, which we did annually. But since there were lots and lots of boats out there made prior to 1972, they needed some means of identifying manufacturers who did not have a MIC and started assigning the codes you are citing.

So, it is unfortunate but there is no way of identifying who made this boat, or where it was made through the HIN or the MIC. If you can find previous owners or get ahold of previous registrations, that may reveal who and where it was made. Other than that you have to rely on recollections of people in the business, or people who owned boats like this.

Just because either company is not on the NCIC code list does not mean they never existed. Only building possable 3 boats and if they never regestering the Trade Mark could have gone under the radar back then. The Fiber-Resin Corp is not on the list but I've seen pictures and ads for Jet Cats. The South Seas Boat Co is not there but if it was a Somoan in the pic I'ld be making plans.

Absolutely correct. One of my ongoing tasks in the Office Of Boating Safety was tracking who was in business and who wasn't, tracking down old companies that had come and gone before. Boat companies come and go like people change their socks. There are approximately, at any moment in time, 4000 boat builders in the US, another 700-800 in Canada and about 2000-2200 build power boats. Approximately 400 companies go into business every year and about an equal number go out of business. During recessions like this one the number going out is much higher (in 1991 recession it was 800) During good times the number going into business rises. Often they make a few boats and then reality catches up and they go back to their day job. I can remember one company that made one boat. I know because we foolishly bought it for compliance testing. So he sold his entire inventory to the Coast Guard (LOL)

Anyway, I have seen a boat similar to this one but it was in Tennessee and we purchased it for testing, but I don't recall the blunt bow. However, that transom looks very familiar. The problem is finding someone who remembers this boat, and the best source is people in the business. Just like boat companies, the people who work for them change companies regularly to move up the chain of management. I know people who have worked for or owned as many as 6 or 7 boat companies in their career. MY first boss at the Office of boating safety had worked for at least three (Owens, MFG, and Thompson).

What I am saying here is no boat company has ever had a MIC code of MTZ. I has always been assigned to the state of Montana.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56587

The former owner of the yellow boat being discussed was Gary McNorris. Gary lives northwest of Miami. An interesting sidebar is that Gary got in trouble with the community in Mt. Dora one day during the boat show for cranking up those dry stackers early in the morning while most of the town was still sleeping. With the water on the lake very calm and still you could hear that merc for miles in every direction. Gary sold the boat to another collector at the Mt Dora Show that very year before the show ended. Gary does beautiful restoration work and was responsible for some of the beautiful work done on a number of the boats in Tommy in Tampa's collection. I have not seen Gary or Tommy here on fiberglassics in quite some time and have no idea what either of them has been up tp these past few years. I do see Gary every year at the Mt. Dora AKA, Sunnyland Antique Boat Festival and perhaps he will be there this year.
Attachments:

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56591

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
TOMMY was recently here on the site selling a GAR-Form glass hull .
Gary recently had a Forum post , I believe for a ( MERCURY Forum 85hp post)Wanted Thread..
Anyone can get all three forms of contact address via ACBS Directory.. Correct in South Fla. ... I was also there in Mt Dora for the early Morning Roar,, interesting , I have no info on the hull Price, or date of resale... The Black Stacker Motor has been
sold recently..
.... It seems the yellow pics were found on Dave's site
www.glassicsonline.com/apps/photos/ or a few on the Facebook Switzer wing race albums.

It is a interesting shape,, & agree there is NO connection with
Montana..Buyers should not assume Seller's are 105 % believable.

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 7 months ago #56602

Interesting Split, he calls it an MDZ. I had more details on this boat but must be on the 'puter that died. I may have a printed copy on file and will search - will post if I do find. Previous 2 pics came from Scream'nFly, but here is another pic which may be of interest (scanned, not snitched).
A very unusual boat - love it.
Attachments:

Re:Speed Boat 12 years 1 month ago #68596

In case you're wondering.... It's baaaack!
spokane.craigslist.org/boa/3249932661.html

Re:Speed Boat 11 years 2 months ago #81124

Dragging this thread up from the bottom of the lake, I saw a sister of this example at the Skaneateles (central NY state) antique and classic boat show this past weekend.

www.skaneateles.com/visit/events-a-attractions/skaneateles-antique-classic-boat-show

It was also yellow but it didn't have the stripe and the upholstery was different, I think. It had the MTZ logo in the back of the cockpit, in chrome letters, so I did a search when I got home and found this thread.

Kirk in Syracuse

Re:Speed Boat 11 years 2 months ago #81151

Knestis,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle