Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas?

TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 7 months ago #56247

Could there have been TWO manufacturers of fiberglass boats in Independence, Kansas in the early 1960s?

Handy Andy found this photo on eBay attributed to the year 1960. The sign shows "Sea Star Boat Co" at Independence, Kansas. The last line indicates the boat was built for Montgomery Ward & Co.

Star Tank & Boat Co. (Starcraft) opened a branch factory at Independence, KS in late 1959 early 1960. The plant was destroyed by fire on 14 April 1961. Not sure if they rebuilt.

Could there really have been TWO boat builders in the same prairie town in 1960? Or was "Sea Star Boat Co." one and the same as "Star Tank & Boat Co."? Or did the sign maker get the company name incorrect?

Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 7 months ago #56252

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hmm, Interesting.

My first guess, due to the similarity of the names, is that perhaps Starcraft was building the boats for Montgomery ward, using the name 'Sea Star' rather than starcraft... So as to not 'dilute' their own brand. Of course, that's a guess- But it makes sense to me! The two company names just seem too similar... And, I doubt that if the sign maker made a mistake that big on the sign that they'd continue with the publicity shoot...

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 7 months ago #56259

My guess is the Star Tank & Boat Co. built the factory in KS to make boats for Montgomery Wards. For a name they mixed the Sea King & Star thus Sea Star. The factory burned…they needed money.

Feb 28, 1962 Securities & Exchange Commision News Digest

STAR TANK AND BOAT FILES FOR OFFERING AND SECONDARY. Star Tank and Boat Company, Inc., 516 East Madison Street, Goshen, Ind., filed a registration statement (File 2-19845) with the SEC on February 27th seeking registration of 307,000 shares of common stock, of which 27,000 shares are to be offered for public sale by the company and 280,000 shares, being outstanding stock, by the holders thereof. The offering will be made on an all or none basis through underwriters headed by A. G. Becker & Co., 120 South La Salle Street,
Chicago. The public offering price (maximum $18 per share*) and underwriting terms are to be supplied by amendment. The company is engaged principally in the manufacture, under the Starcraft and Seamaid trade names, of a broad line of aluminum and fiberglass pleasure boats, including outboard cruisers, runabouts and small fishing boats (including boats sold to Montgomery Ward & Co. Inc. and merchandised under Ward's Sea King name). It also manufactures farm equipment, particularly hog feeders and waterers. The net proceeds from the company's sale of additional stock will be added to working capital and used for general corporate purposes. The company has outstanding 698,099 shares of common stock, of which Arthur E. Schrock, president, Harold A. Schrock, executive vice president, and Anna Schrock, a director, own 138,860, 165,453and 62,880 shares, respectively. They propose to sell 28,000, 70,000 and 14,000 shares, respectively. In addition, Isabelle S. Chapman, secretary, and Helen S. Hetler, assistant treasurer, own 165,453 shares each and propose to sell 84,000 shares each.

There is a field code for a Star Boat Company is SJR

There is a field code for Sea Star Boat Co. (SSR). The company was in IL for 1 year, 1975.
Attachments:

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 7 months ago #56262

What is "field code"?

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 7 months ago #56264

Field codes are 3 letters used to shorten, like Boat Make is field code BMA & Brand name is field code BRA.
www.docstoc.com/docs/24629946/NCIC-Boat-Data-Codes

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 7 months ago #56368

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Geez, I didn't think the public had access to NCIC. I had to go through the FBI when I was USCG to get info.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 4 months ago #62621

I lived in Independence,KS from 1963 until 1968.

Starcraft (the company) was present throughout all those years, so apparently...when the building burned in '61 it was rebuilt.

I can recall no other boat company in town at that time.

One establishment (Kansas Boat & Marine) sold the StarCraft line of boats in Independence at that time, I do remember that.

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 4 months ago #62622

Thanks for the personal recollection.

Andreas

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 4 months ago #62630

to ALL,

as THREE RIVERS, TX (population in 1965 about 400 souls) had THREE boat manufacturers at one time, so Independence, KS could have had a half-dozen.
(CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:TWO boat builders in Independence, Kansas? 12 years 1 month ago #67822

Just the one. I worked at Starcraft there from 1965 to 1969 and yes we made Monkey Wards.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online