Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 Avalon

1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56132

Looking for any help with the over all weight for my 1965 Glasspar Avalon model. Would like to replace old & tired outboard. Don't want to over power. Perhaps someone may have a few suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56133

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking in the library here, the Avalon comes in around 540 lbs.
What motor and hp in on it now?
Put up a couple of pics and I am sure the guys can help.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56138

[img/] I have the same year and model. I think the Merc 650 looks great and pushes her well

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56167

Thanks PB. I am in process of downloading pics. Currently have a 1965 40hp Johnson sea horse. It has seen better days. Don't want to put money in it. Want updated model, but used. Hope to find another 40hp perhaps mercury.

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56168

Thanks for your quick response. I am still learning a lot about the different Merc. What yr. is your 650.

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56174

Hey Avalon65,

I have a 1959 Avalon and I put an Evinrude Etec 50 on it. With my setup it runs about 30 mph... very snappy out of the hole, though I'm running a little on the heavy side (lots of stuff in the boat, anchors gear... i may be slightly underpropped for speed.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56188

I know I'm a little bias but I am very impressed with the Homelite. I cut the fuel consumption down to less than half of what the Johnson was and the noise is minimal. Also you can troll with it and not foul plugs and have the smoke and smell in the cabin. The only downside is that they are heavy for the HP. For the money they are a great deal if you can find them. I just couldn't see spending the $4-6 thousand for a new Merc or Honda. If you want to go vintage and four-stroke its the only way to go.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56217

Thanks for your quick response. I am currently looking at a 1982 70hp. I also carry a lot of angling items with us. Friends and gear. But wondering if it will idle down to troll & smooth out ?

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56260

The newer two-strokes are way better if equipped with oil and/or fuel injection but they can still load up when at idle speeds. You can get around that though by installing one of those Happy Troller plates. I would imagine that the 70hp would have a very hard time maintaining a trolling speed on a light boat like that though. Maybe install a kicker or electric motor for low speed?

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56285

Avalon 65

My Merc 650 is a 1966. Magneto version. Very simple as I am new to this motor myself. Theres some great people on here with lots of knowledge that helped me get mine up and running tip top. I feel completely confident and I swear this thing looks like it was made for the Avalon. Gets her up to about 30-31 WOT with four people and an old two blade prop.
Theres some good deals to be found on yakaz and CG.
Attachments:

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56327

Thanks once again. What a good photo of your 650 Merc. Will look on yakaz and CG.

Re:1965 Avalon 12 years 7 months ago #56328

Thanks for your info. After today's inquiry, and looking at various used outboards, I agree that a 70hp would be to hard to troll with. So will now focus on a 40 to 60 hp range.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.642 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online