Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 59' Power Cat 13'

59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55819

Looking to add this boat to my collection. What do I need to know about it? Are there any unforseen issues with these I need to know about? What size motors would work well on this boat. Just looking to find out more info.From the pictures is this a 14C 1959' ?
Travis
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55837

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
powercatboat.com will get you the quickest response along with brochures etc on the boat.Boat in use today along with the for sale section will have pics and some info on restoring.HP rating will be lower than what people put on them mainly due to the fact that the biggest engine is 59 was 75/80? hp.The cat was designed for two engines and def looks cooler with two.One will work, but not as well due to hull design.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55838

Looks like it's rated for 45 HP max:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Power_Cat

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55840

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I would say 9 out of 10 cats still in use today have had there transoms rebuilt with knee braces added.Just about all of them are running more hp than the rec. max listed,which kept getting bigger,as did the motors .Mine is rated for 100 and there is a 150 sitting on her now.They are very stable hulls and if rebuilt correctly will accept a larger power plant with ease.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55841

A link for Power Cat FAQ.
www.powercatboat.com/FAQ.html

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55845

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
billscars.com shows his resto with a 1960,check added on knee braces.Your lines are the same,but you have the molded in seats that I believe they only made for a year or two. Danny from PC will eventually weigh in on this and be able to give you the exact year.Hull and transom APPEAR to be solid,again if you need to redo tran then check out how most of the PCers did there's,without popping the top.Checked the PC site and under Cats in use today,, Jon Berry-NC 14C,, has his 63 listed as one of the rare ones with molded in seats.Barry Bates Wa. also has a 63 listed with same seats.If you look through the 14c's you will see they are all over the place with engine's ranging from twin 18's to twin 80's.I would keep the transom the same height and go with twin shorty Mercs seeing that is your avatar logo,BTW nice,in the 65-85hp range.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55851

The 14c's with the molded seats as this one has have
all been from the 1963 model year. They proved to be
unpopular and are rather uncomfortable and were
discontinued the following year. A broad range of motors
can be used to power this boat, but to make a real
recommendation I would need to know what your intended
use of the boat will be. On a small boat such as this
being overpowered ( if there is such a thing ) can be
a disadvantage if all you want is to take the family
out on the lake. As was stated twins are the best
performer on this boat but a single can be utilized
though I try to discourage it because the set up is
very tedious and limits the range of use the boat
can be put to.
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55874

Dan,

What I would plan on doing with this boat is just blast it around on the lakes as a 2 seater. I like the look of the hull and think once its all cleaned up/ possibly paint it could be quite a looker. Not looking for a family boat have a glen-l zip in the works right now/ 4 seater if I want a family boat I would get a bigger vessel. I grew up on Lake St. Clair in Michigan with 21' center consols. This boat and my zip will be fun boats to mess around with. Not sure if it's to much power but would like to strap on 2 Mark 78a's if that doesn't work possibly 2 Mark 58's.
I would figure this was unpopular due to a 2 seater correct.
Travis
Novi, Michigan

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55875

Not sure if it's to much power but would like to strap on 2 Mark 78a's if that doesn't work possibly 2 Mark 58's.

If the boat can float twins six's go for it ....it would be my choice :lol: but I suspect weight issues may halt that plan

it will handel twin MK58's but dont be confused by running twins and increased speed
especially your vintage 4 cyl mercs, no matter what you do the the motors....you dont have the prop pitch available to go any faster than the props available

I run twin MK55's what you will find if you run twin MK58's is
you do have an increase in top end but only to a point and only
if you can find a pair of 15P props (most pitch available, rare& $)its still not enough prop, you can cup a pair of 15P brass and increase approx 2 P or aluminum by 1 P

what you will appreciate is how it jumps out of the hole, pulling power, I also saw better gas mileage because the single MK55 was struggling to plane with more than 2 people on board with a 12P

start collecting props now! a year in advance so you have a selection of pitch in pairs

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55877

On this boat what would be a fair price in the condition it looks to be in with the trailer? 200-400 , 400-600, 600-800?

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55879

location , location , in my area 200- 400

there is one in Washington CL for sale for a year $500

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55895

Twin 78a's will work on this boat. Even though it only
measures 12ft6in nose to tail the width of the cat will
support the weight. One word of caution, this boat gets
very flighty above 60mph. With no T/T you will want to
run at its top end only on smooth water in very controlled
conditions. Since the stock lower units and props available
will limit your top end to some extent, I would go for a
set-up that would use the tremendous hole shot you will
have available. I would venture to say that you could out
run a lot of modern boats for the first 800 ft. of a drag race.
As "MadProps" said, a $500.00 boat that is close to home is
cheaper than a $200.00 one across the country. If it's close to
home and something you want, get it and don't worry about if
you paid a couple hundred more than you should. By the time
it gets to a completed running project you will have spent
many more dollars and countless hours of "sweat equity" on the
boat. It only has value if you use it, and get enjoyment out
of it. Turn it into an "investment" and you take all the fun
out of any project.
As a 2-seater fun boat for smooth water conditions these are
a real blast. I got to drive Dick Davis's with twin McCulloch
75's with racing lowers that would top out around 65mph. I have
driven faster, but would have to say not many as much fun as
that little boat was.
Regards,
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Pondrocket44 wrote:

Dan,

What I would plan on doing with this boat is just blast it around on the lakes as a 2 seater. I like the look of the hull and think once its all cleaned up/ possibly paint it could be quite a looker. Not looking for a family boat have a glen-l zip in the works right now/ 4 seater if I want a family boat I would get a bigger vessel. I grew up on Lake St. Clair in Michigan with 21' center consols. This boat and my zip will be fun boats to mess around with. Not sure if it's to much power but would like to strap on 2 Mark 78a's if that doesn't work possibly 2 Mark 58's.
Travis
Novi, Michigan

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55907

One question on the molded bucket seats. In the brochure for 59' is states you can get it with the molded bucket seats, so there was more than just 63' for this option correct?

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55909

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Danny,are the bow decks on the 14c longer than the 14t? Having seen Frank A's a couple times[,he even took me for a ride!!! thanks Frank,] his seems to be a shorter than the picture in this thread.I know the 15's are longer.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55911

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes 2-800 would be the going rate.Usually trailers go for 2-400 as people buy them for snowmobiles/yardwork and yes,boats.The price is really up to the seller,does he care one way or another if it sells,is his wife hounding him and that's why he listed it,yard a mess,does he need the money, you get the idea there are a lot of variables.I would guess he is ASKING 500? what is he asking?Pondrocket44 wrote:

On this boat what would be a fair price in the condition it looks to be in with the trailer? 200-400 , 400-600, 600-800?

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55914

Mr. 88 wrote:

Danny,are the bow decks on the 14c longer than the 14t? Having seen Frank A's a couple times[,he even took me for a ride!!! thanks Frank,] his seems to be a shorter than the picture in this thread.I know the 15's are longer.

The 14c is acutally only about 12' 6" or somewhere in that range. Definately under 13'.

Dick Davis at 60mph with twin 75 Scotts and speedmaster lower units...

Kelly Wood's 14c with a stock 70 Chrysler...
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55919

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
hi, I own the green power cat now that used to belong to Dick davis,In my opinion if I was going to put 6cyl twins,I would build a water well in the back,while you are doing it. With the twin scotts it sits down plenty far and the scotts have the builge amatic that pumps it back out,, My weigh up front holds the front down fine.I am not an authority on this I have not ran it as much as I would like but it is a breath taker and a secure ride once it plains down, Go for it and enjoy it Bill
Attachments:

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55954

The molded bucket seats the 1959 brochure refers to are
just separate fiberglass buckets, not like this boat where
it is molded as part of the deck. I am 99.5% sure that this
one was actually made in 1963, regardless of what the paperwork
or the owner might say. Remember 50 years ago there were no
titles to boats so somewhere in the years since after the boat
has changed hands multiple times somebody made up the year and
data on the boat to fill out some paperwork to satisfy some
taxing authority.
You asked about the comparison to the 14t. The 14c is actually
a smaller boat so the perception of a smaller cockpit and longer
deck is correct.

Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Pondrocket44 wrote:

One question on the molded bucket seats. In the brochure for 59' is states you can get it with the molded bucket seats, so there was more than just 63' for this option correct?

Re: 59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55987

Thanks for all the replies on my questions I have made my decision put an offer in and am now the newest owner of a Power Cat 14C! It's 2 hrs from home so not to far, will pic it up in the spring.
Thanks Everyone and I'll be asking many more questions once I get the boat and start setting it up. Do these come with winshields?

Travis

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #55995

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Congrats,you will be extremely happy with the Cat.They did come with shields but very few guys run them.Something about the wind blowing through the hair or cooling the chrome dome. My take is they look sleeker without the shield and it sure seems to go faster,even when your scrapping bugs off your forehead haha.It's also a pain when you are docking etc.Usually I stay off the water at sunset because of those bugs splattering all over the hull and my grill.Only two hours away,for most of us that have chased boats and motors it is like a drive to the corner store,I would be picking it up ASAP,just for my own piece of mind along with you never know what might happen to it while it's sitting in this guys backyard.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 7 months ago #56001

powercatboat.com/86.html
Travis:
The page linked above shows several 14c's
with and without windshields...
Good luck with your project.
If I can be of any help let me know.
Regards,
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 5 months ago #60181

Alright!! Just brought the 13' Power Cat home yesterday, and am a proud new owner! Plan on overhauling her but have a glen-L Zip in progress right now. Plan on twin Mark 55's to start I have one currently but will be looking for another. Here are a few pics let me know what you think. Where in the vin # on the hull I have title in hand on it says Power Craft 1959'?

FiberGlassic On
Travis
Attachments:

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 5 months ago #60290

Appears to be a nice find! It's in great shape compared to how most of us find one. Good luck!

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 5 months ago #60318

Travis:
Your cat would have had an ID tag like this one on the inside
of the transom. Vin#s as such were not required back in those
days. As for what the title says, again it could just be an
error made when titles started being required in latter years
for registration. Or it could be someone used the title from
a 1959 Power Craft to get a registration for the 1963 Power Cat
you have. Not sure its worth the trouble to get it changed.
Guess that would depend on what state your in and how envolved
their process is.
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Pondrocket44 wrote:

Alright!! Just brought the 13' Power Cat home yesterday, and am a proud new owner! Plan on overhauling her but have a glen-L Zip in progress right now. Plan on twin Mark 55's to start I have one currently but will be looking for another. Here are a few pics let me know what you think. Where in the vin # on the hull I have title in hand on it says Power Craft 1959'?

FiberGlassic On
Travis

Attachments:

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 5 months ago #60394

Danny

Id tag is gone I will do some research with the last owner on the vessel. When I do get to restoring this one do I have any chance of getting/ tracking down the origonl metal Power Cat emblems or will I be forced with the reproduction stickers? Also this boat I believe came from Washington, seeing its a 63' was it built in Texas or do you think possibly California?

Travis

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 5 months ago #60427

Travis:
I will soon have a source set up for replacement id tags.
The cast metal nameplates are another story. No source at
this time. There is a vendor that is doing flat metal
nameplates cut from stainless, but they go for $300.00 a
pair and while they look nice are not like the originals.
Every once in a while somebody scraps a junker Power Cat
and the nameplates become available.
The 1963 like yours would have been made in Texas. What we
find though is because there was still a large supply of the
ID tags and nameplates still showing California, a lot of boats
were built in the Texas plant but had the California plates
on them.
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Re:59' Power Cat 13' 12 years 5 months ago #60469

Mr. 88

U know your stuff he was asking $600 and I got it for $500 put a down payment sight unseen 2 months ago and just picked it up. So there are still honest people out there.

Travis

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online