• Page:

TOPIC: My gator is going "Super"...

My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55489

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I've always LOVED the look of Super Gator trailers....

My Glasspar Citation is sitting on a 1960 Gator trailer, but unfortunately it's just the standard Gator... Just to tease me, I got a copy of the 1960 Gator brochure, and they just HAPPENED to use a 1960 Glasspar Citation- Just like mine- For the brochure photos- It's even the same color I repainted mine!

I've been looking for a set of Super Gator fenders for a while. Every so often, they come up on E-Bay, but generally go for a bit more than I'm willing to spend (Often, they go for MORE than I paid for the boat, motor, and trailer!). But, after looking patiently for years- Everything finally fell in to place. Look what 'showed up' at my place yesterday-

A nice set of Super Gator fenders!

They are going to need some work- The louvered aluminum part on one is ruined, but overall, they are in pretty good shape. I'm probably going to have to make a mold of the good aluminum part and either make a fiberglass reproduction, or possibly cast an aluminum one (the originals were stamped out of VERY thin aluminum).

I am also considering making a mold of the entire fender, and making a few reproductions, IF there is any interest.

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55493

we love ours...have had lots of comments...when we got our 1st redfish she didn't have any fenders and had ford hideaspares for wheels....we found a pair of ruff gators at a salvage for $20....i didn't haggle....went with 155 13 whitewall car tires....had to add 8" to the center of the axil to center them in the fenders....after glassing the cracks and a lot of heavy build polyester primer (brenda did all the blocking her dad was also a bodyman) we went with black and clear with rainbow flake...looks realy cool in bright sun....john
Attachments:

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55503

I was mocked by a few here when I put up a pair of super fenders on eBay for $550.00 - but if you know what they are going for.......

Well - I sold them. Check with Kevin Meuler "Kevfin" about re-pops before you get serious about spending $$ in copying yours. I believe he has made new grills out of ABS to replace the aluminum " pie tins" originally on them. Just FYI for those who don't know - the fenders were not steel, but pressured molded fiberglass. WAY ahead of their time...............

Bruce

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55506

Andrew, nice to see that you got a set of the gator fenders. I have been looking for a setr for along time also. My Idea was to pop a few out of molds myself. I thought that I would just make the whole thing out of glass, front grill and all. I checked out getting the grills cast but the cost was quite high just to have afew made. Let me know if you are serious about getting into doing a couple of these as I am willing to work with some one on getting some made. Thankyou, Skip

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55545

Here is a interesting idea by Greg Bodenhammer to do with the problem of no aluminum grills for the Gator fenders. He made a mold and check out how he finished the front of the fenders. The detail and look is fantastic. I purchased a bunch of vintage boat parts from Greg and in the lot he added the molds for these fenders. I allready make and sell the T Nee fenders and so I have never done anything with what I got from Greg. First I am not sure how well these fenders would be recieved since it is not original. Better than what Gator built but not original. If someone is interested in working out something to reproduce these and we could talk about getting this mold in there hands. The mold does need some work.

D This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Rats picture will not post. I am working on it.
Attachments:

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55546

I recognize those. I sold them to Brian Newhouse.. They are in nice shape...

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55551

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

I do like the look of those! Not original, but period looking and cool... I think I like them as much as the 'real' thing!

I am going to try to get some cast aluminum grilles made, if I can find the time. I have everything I need to do it, other than the time to get it done! I'd have to either modify the grille a bit or the fender, since the material would be a LOT thicker, it wouldn't mount to the fender in the same way, but I think I know how I'd go about that.

Now back to the hole for me, I've got some sanding to do :)

-Andrew

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 8 months ago #55554

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Funny thing these fenders should pop up on the site right about now. I'm working on my Gator fenders and like the rest of you the aluminum is trash. For the present I'm cutting out aluminum diamond plate and riveting it to the front, it will match the transom motor plate on my Herters. I'll be watching to see what you fellas come up with for a solution.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 7 months ago #55646

Some of you know that I sold my collection last Fall to Roger Sallee at Lake of The Ozarks MO that included a bunch of Gators. I loaned him a super fender to have his pro-fiberglass guy make a mold. So, he'll probably have some available this year. KevFin is making repros of the grills as stated above. I haven't seen them yet but hope to get some of the first he makes. Remember, the fenders are Fiber but there's an inner skeleton of welded steel rod and bars that are different front and back of fender. The steel bars provide theoretical standing strength and a bolting spine for the unit. If anyone needs the specs for the metal inserts, I'll get some photos and specs for you. You can reach kevfin at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and Roger at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 7 months ago #55652

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks... Luckily, the steel supports are in both of mine, and in good shape. They are pretty simple, And I could make a set of them if I needed to VERY easily (I am a blacksmith, after all :) )...

I'll get in touch with KevFin about the grilles.

-Andrew

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 5 months ago #59529

I have a set of fenders for a gator,does anyone need a set.

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 5 months ago #59531

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Email sent.

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 5 months ago #59537

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Chris Smith has been making them,He has them,we will see if he chimes in,brackets,grills and all I think, I made grills for myself[glass] , He is in Mich.He always advertising wanting gator caps on glassifies, Bill
Attachments:

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 5 months ago #59541

Kevfin NOW has fg grill repros and intends to make one-piece fender/grill repros SOON.

Bill, do you know what Chris Smith is willing to pay for my good set of caps. Good orignial condition but not flawless.

Hope to see you on Kevin's new board, "Fin City Forum"

www.boatsinthebelfry.com/index.php

(the forum will be available from his website in a few days).
Attachments:

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 5 months ago #59545

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've got a spare set of caps, too... They need a rechrome to be perfect, but they are OK... I NEED some for my Tee-Nee, So if anyone has any plain or tee-nee caps out there, and needs Gator stamped ones, let me know...

Re:My gator is going "Super"... 12 years 5 months ago #59605

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Chris has an add on fiberglassics under wanted,,he goes by captainirwin his number should be there but I have found him easy to deal with,,Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online