• Page:

TOPIC: Respirators

Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55328

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Morning All,

As I read and re-read our threads, especially about paint removal, painting, sanding, working with fiberglass and the like, I noticed we seem to neglect mentioning the importance of a good respirator as an essential piece of our gear. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not preaching to anyone and am in no way judging anyone but am brining it up for good reason.

In 2005 I deployed to Iraq and at some point during my tour was exposed to some sort of virus (one doctor believes it was chemical weapons) and came home with really messed up lungs. I used to enjoy running but the lungs now seem to shut down which seems to put a damper on the rest of the day. Though I had planned on retiring, the decision was made for me by whatever was living in my lungs and how it affected my ability to breathe. I never leave home without an inhaler and am told things seem stable - for now.

I've discussed the enjoyment I get from working on the old boats and have been told that there is no reason I shouldn't continue to do so, with the right respirator and filters. LIke most of us, I have been using the standard over the nose and mouth version we see at Lowe's and Home Depot but have been looking to upgrade to a a full face model this year, mainly for protection from the wonderful feeling that sanded fiberglass gives to the skin, even when using a faceshield.

The dust masks you see people using for sanding are totally inadequate for the type of materials we encounter in this hobby. My doctor cringed when I asked whether they would be alright for use when doing simple sanding. He made several comments on why they're no good and I'll get into the two biggest reasons next.

The most important part of using a respirator is the fit. If the unit doesn't seal well, its no use using it. Any good safety equipment shop can properly fit you and its a free service. Of course, they will try to sell you a mask but remember, they also have all the facts on the units and are trained by the manufacturers. The added service may be worth the couple extra bucks you would pay elsewhere.

An equally important part of getting the most protection from a respirator is changing the filters. Let's be honest folks, most of us are guys and we don't change much in our lives without the input of the better half. The filters on our repirators should be changed every time we use them for proper protection from the dust and vapors of whatever we're using. There is a proper filter for each situation, too. Learn what they are and keep your replacements stored in a sealed bag until you install them. The filtration provided by the elements is the prime reason the dusk maks are not good enough. Everything you see on the garage floor is the same stuff floating in the air and getting down into your lungs.

Again, I am really not trying to preach to anyone, but to hopefully prevent someone from hurting themself. I would trade the world to have a healthy pair of lungs again. Please don't end up in the same boat (no pun intended) because of something that could have been easily prevented.

Take care!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55330

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Todd, always good advice. Most good paint stores and automotive stores that job paint have these resperators and the proper filters, especially for the exotic VOC chemicals that are around. Not only dust but vapors.
Cal

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55335

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Good points there... Many people don't give respiratory protection much though, just put on a 'dust mask' and have at it- if that. I don't think that everyone realizes that they are working with some really nasty stuff!

I was safety officer when I worked on tank ships- And respirator fit & use was one of my 'duties'. Everyone was fitted properly when they first started working for us, and they kept a 'personal' respirator for the time they were employed. This was to ensure that the fit was correct, and that they were adjusted properly. There were three sizes- One fit the majority of people, but not all- And fit is critical for it to work and be comfortable. Some people try to make ill-fitting respirators work by tightening the straps to get a better seal, which is pretty uncomfortable over time. The respirator should be just sitting on your face, with the straps just keeping it from falling off, NOT pressing it up against you.

For those using the respirator far sanding, I highly recommend DUST PREFILTERS, which are available for most models. They probably won't have them on the shelves at the local home depot, so you might need to find them online. They extend the life of the expensive cartridges by many, MANY times, by filtering out the larger particles before they clog the finer element in the filter.

Just remember, you only get one set of lungs... N.O.S. replacements aren't available any more!

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55340

todd,good thread.
i used to remove asbestos a long time ago,back when during our training the teachers told us it wasnt that dangerous,that it was a "money making scheme"to remove it.
i was really young and believed it.
most of the jobs we did not have respirators,we were also supposed to have showers at every job ,i saw one shower in the years that i worked at removing asbestos,i now have copd/emphysema,and i worry about my wife,she washed my dirty work cloths covered in the stuff.

my problem is im so thick headed ,i know that now i should wear lung protection,but when i do i cant see well enough what im sanding an painting(i have to wear glasses and they steam up no matter how well i try to fit the respirator.and i hate having anything on my face.
i need to listen to you guys and ed gordon,he bought me an expensive respirator ,because he saw me paint his boat without one.
i just have to do it even if i dont like it.
thanks for the reminder ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55341

all good advice and very well said....i also have copd from 42 years of not taking the mask as seriously as i should....i would also like to add the paint reps i've delt with (ppg,doupont,martin senior,glasurit,sikkens)all did mask fits....people with beards or sideburns usualy didn't test well with over the nose and mouth resperators...a full face is alot better althow rether uncomfortable in the summer heat...another thing they always said was the poly 2 part primers, paint and clearcote (the good stuff) builds isocionates in the top of the can when it sits (witch is also obsorbed into your body through your eyes) so you get the bigest hit when you open the can....a good idea to have the mask on at that point, stand back as far as you can, and just crack the seal on the lid and let it breath for a minute before pulling the lid....john

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55362

Great info guys, VERY GOOD thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55410

As a lifelong asthmatic, full face respirators are the only way to go. Everything else is not giving you the protection you need for lungs, eyes, etc.

To Todd, John and John, check out www.breathingcenter.com . I did the Buteyko program a year ago November for my asthma. It made a huge difference. I've been off daily meds (Singular) for almost a year and only use my rescue inhaler once every 6-8 weeks. They promote it for asthma, but will also address a variety of lung ailments including the ones you guys listed. I'm trying not to sound like an infomercial, but I would suggest at least checking it out.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55521

Yep, for $80 bucks this one is hard to beat...

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55543

Available where?

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Respirators 12 years 8 months ago #55547

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.767 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online