Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mystery boat interior shot

Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55205

This picture says it all about the condition of this boat. I am assuming the rework is possible? I am starting to wonder if it will be worth it. How feasible is it to separate the top from the bottom? There is a seam. I have been in posession of this boat for almost 10 years now, and have always liked the lines on this boat. Is it possible to get this boat back to original? And how functional was it then?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55206

hi bussemey,you have your work cut out for you,definitely separate it,because it looks like everything wood will need replaced,like the stringers, floor,and transom,but it is a very cool boat,yours is the only one i have seen with the airplane on it,so there must not be many around.
if you decide to go through with it ,it wont be cheap,but the great folks here will help you restore it ,all along the way,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55221

yes that boat is very doable, but not without a lot of hard work....it is very rare and should be saved...not to mention the cool factor of that airplane on the deck....there were several companys that bought a boat and changed the style here and there,splashed a mold,made a few boats, and went out of bussiness....the early glastron was copied by several companies,princecraft,auqua queen,sprayline and most known red fish....yours is missing the side sculpture seen on all red fish sharks i've seen...the fins are lower (more like a glasstron) and i've only seen that airplane on 1 other boat (without you posted it 10 years ago)....also we don't know how many boats were built that never went into regular production for whatever reason....i'd either build her, sit on her, or pass her to someone who would restore her...john
Attachments:

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55226

Bussemey, this looks a lot like it was based on a 1957 Glastron Surflite. A couple more hull shots might give more info.

If we go with Redfishpirates info, Glastron may have sold hulls to Sprayline. in 1958, their premier boat was the Falcon (per the Bluebook entry). Perhaps they molded the deck as a falcon emblem. Conjecture, but a possibility.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55276

Well, i'm cutting my teeth on this one. I am a Harley mechanic by trade, and plywood and fiberglass are not two things I mess with much, or at all. I will surely be needing yalls assistance in the future. Thanks for all the info and guidance so far. Brian

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55278

brian you are quite welcome....i was a gm autobody and frame teck...as time goes on more things like old boats are alot more fun and means alot more than working for dallars....john

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55281

One of the kool things about restoring an old boat, is getting to buy TOOLS!!!!!! And EVERYBODY knows that who ever has the most tools WINS!!!!!

Here's some drawings on how I recommend fixing the things that need to be fixed...

Stringers

Transoms

Decks/Soles/Floors(Whatever you want to call it)

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55282

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Bussemey wrote:

Is it possible to get this boat back to original?

Depends on how handy you are with money.:whistle: BTW welcome to FG. A great bunch of characters people here who are always ready to assist with any questions you might have. Only one boat though?

Melanie

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55284

Great diagrams Flamingo! Thanks

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55288

Only one boat. I think my hands are full with this one. Until someone wants to trade a nice 1986 Harley FXR for a pontoon boat! With the lakes getting this low in Texas (3rd lowest ever), I might find one sooner rather than later.

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55289

Thanks for the diagrams. Someone should save these somewhere on this site ( like a technical section ). That would be cool. There are also small stringers (3/4" ? ) to the left and right of the three main spars. I assume I will be staying with the structural design that is present? Or should it be modified? Updated?

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55294

Buss, maybe you can get on of these. Amphibious in case you find a lake with water. I believe they started making these in the late 60s. A Glassic ATV!? B)
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55303

If you are making thicker stringers just use 3/4" ply and laminate it together with Titebond III glue and screws. The glassing is the same as for 3/4"

Re: Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55305

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Busseymey,

I'm not expert, but your mystery boat looks a lot like a longer version of the standard Redfish Shark. I believe it may have been refered to as a Sea Shark, but please don't quote me on that.

I own a Redfish Shark and a Shark Capri - the Capri being redone - and the lines and the protrusion behind the helm seat look very similar to both of them.

The floor in both of my 'Fish was a balsa core, but your may have been modified at some point. Again, please don't qoute me on that, its just what I'm seeing. There are a bunch more knowledgeable people on here than I will ever claim to be. John Gibson is a great guy with a wealth of knowledge as well as Andrew, another 'Fish owner. Actually, the whole gang here at FG is terrific!!!

As for splitting the upper deck from the hull, if you havea simple glued and stapled seam, you can use the Multi-tool from Harbor Freight. I did a thread on it when I seperated mine and showed the tool and blades you'll need. Right now the tool is on sale for about $20 and the blades are their normal price of about $8 each. If you don't have a HF near you, drop me a line. I can pick one up and ship it right out to you.

Good luck with your restoration.

Sincerely,

Todd

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55317

Hey John, Have you seen the red fish in Waverly on eBay right now? Know anything about it? Thx, Joe

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55321

i've been following it on ebay....haven't went to look at it...would only be a 2 hour trip 1 way but we have 5 red fish now so no more room...has the cool steering wheel and the attwood bow light (with the center light missing as usual) wonder what shape the balsa is in....the sea sharks don't show up that often...looks like it should be worth the money....john

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55343

I'm high bidder now so I might own it soon...

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55344

hope you do...it would go to a good home...john

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55372

Let the red fish go at 600

Re:Mystery boat interior shot 12 years 8 months ago #55377

well as max said.....missed it by that much

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online