Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: To Re- Paint the face plate or not?

To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54728

• stashm2
  • stashm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I had this posted at the end of another thred but I dont think it got any travel Just looking for Opinions. So I have the original Mark 35A faceplate in decent shape.. I was worried I couldnt do a good job on painting it and got a Merc 350 faceplate in nasty shape off ebay.. and painted it up. it actually came out ok. But I'm having trouble deciding if I should repaint the original.. What do you all think?
If I do repaint the 35A the 350 will likely be looking for a good home, It has a cracked emblem and is painted in Duplicolor wimbeldon White and true blue metalic.

Thanks for the thaughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54729

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
To me the 350 looks fantastic. It looks like you did a great job. If it were me I would keep in consideration what all else you are doing to the rest of the 35A before REpainting it. If the 35A is a total cosmetic do-over then I would repaint. That said I myself don't know anything about gaining or losing value of an antique motor by getting rid of the original paint job. Good luck. Looks great.
Shipster
Edit: Also what is the "propeller" looking button on the 35? Is that original?

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54730

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The "propeller" is the thumb screw like the "K" on the 350 to hold on the face plate, its like the quarter turn on the newer models but screws in. Also thank you for your thaughts. I am mostly worried the paint wouldnt look as good as original I am leaning on the side of a repaint. as the rest of the engine is painted and I hope to post pics of that tonight.

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54734

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you did a really nice job Jesse, I agree with Shipster! The rest of your Mark is going to be looking fine, I'd do the faceplate too so they match. (Like Shipster, I don't know much about the value of original vs. repainted, I just know it would look better to me.) :P

Mark

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54745

I think you did a nice job.

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54765

I painted mine Jesse, and it came out great.

Frank

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54817

Great job,

How did you do the black inlay?

Re:To Re- Paint the face plate or not? 12 years 8 months ago #54840

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Black inlay is what I was afraid I would not be able to do a good job on. I started out thinking I would use a fine brush for it, That turned out to be a bad idea and came out very bad. So I striped it down and tried again this time I Masked it off with masking tape... Bad idea as the tapes thickness made too many spots that paint could wick under the tape... So I cleaned that up carefully and fixed it with another coat of white.. Finaly I found that carefull Masking with .. Scotch tape.. Allowed for a much tighted masking. Then I just sprayed several coats of paint from all directions, When I removed the masking it looked like there would be issues with the paint thickness. However the clear coat thinned those and it all flowed out nicely and looks decent. I am about to start masking off the Mark 35A faceplate now. I just hope it comes out like the 350 did.

try this 12 years 8 months ago #54843

Liquid Masking Film is a safe non-toxic non-flammable liquid that replaces tape on complicated masking jobs. Tight radius curves can be easily made even on curved surfaces. Leaves sharp clean lines. Masks on any non-porous surface. Can be sprayed brushed or rolled. For use on model aircraft, boats, trains and cars.

you can also use Windsor Newton Liquid Masking brand liquid latex from any quality art store

www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Liquid+Masking+Film&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=1AO&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=576&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17466476808496487027&sa=X&ei=YFkcT53BCaXaiQKN15ibCw&ved=0CGkQnBUoADAA

Re: try this 12 years 8 months ago #54844

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice! I didnt even know that existed. I will have to try it out. Thank you for the link.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online