Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Glastron windshield has arrived!

New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54298

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
There have been a couple of threads recently about windshield replacement. Rather than go back and post on those, I thought I'd start a new one.

The original windshield was intact but badly scratched and had a hole in one area that had been patched. This one is 72" wide, which makes it wider than the largest stock Taylormade one at 70". Since I really don't have the facility to make one myself and was a little nervous because of having to be exact due to the hardtop, I decided to have it made. After doing some research, I came up with Edston Plastics (now EDS Plastics) in MI. They quoted me $350 plus shipping. That price included the new strip on the top. Since the stock Taylormades are $650 plus shipping (and were too small at that), I decided to have them make it.

The total shipping cost both ways was around $200. However, they have a great system for shipping that is way less expensive than how I did it initially. I've shown a couple of pictures and have more if anyone is interested. It survived the trip nicely.

The windshield seems to be a perfect fit for the deck contours and should work out well. Of course, the proof is in the final install, but that is months away.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54301

Boy I can't wait till you get that in. Make sure you get lots of pics. :lol:

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54302

Could you explain the great system for shipping.
I have a couple of windshields I must ship and would like to see how they packaged yours and what shipping method that can make this resonable

Del

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54306

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Del,

Essentially he took a piece of cardboard that was the full length of the windshield (including curves) and cut it to make the contours (see pic) He folded this onto the windshield and taped it in place. Then he took a second piece as a cover, again cutting the ends to fit the shape. The windshield itself was covered with the Saran Wrap type material and some bubble pack and small air bag packaging, but not a lot, was included. You could probably wrap the whole thing in small bubble wrap for the same or better effect.

Here's 3 more pics. Let me know if you need anything specific. I wrapped it back up in that packaging and put it up on the loft in my garage. It's easy to get to.

Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54310

wow todd that looks great,a perfect fit so far,he did a great job on it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54311

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Pretty nice Todd, I've got "windshield envy" now. :laugh: I'll have to check out Edston when it comes time to find or build one for the GT-150.

Shipping them that way, I'd make sure you insure the package w/UPS! I'm afraid my local hub wouldn't handle it so carefully as your, and their max claim w/o insurance is $100! Just a thought.....

Mark

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54316

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..T.: CONGRATS... Shipping BOTH ways .?? Did you have to send out your orig piece.?
......DEL,: I heard a member comment once he had a windshield shipped to his city / town by GREYHOUND BUS.!! I guess with less people there is empty storage in the lower racks of a bus. !

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54318

Next time we are driving our boats around looking through all those time earned scratches, yellowed with age, cracked windshield we will have something to think about.

Re:New Glastron windshield has arrived! 12 years 8 months ago #54323

here is a place that has a large selection of glastron windshield available .

www.updplastics.com/glastron%20boat%20windshields.htm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online