Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Introduction

Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54162

Hi, My name is Ed and my sons name is Kurtis.
We just picked up this 1967 Fiber Form 20'.
Ran across this site and I must say it is well put together.
Hoping for some advice as we tackle this father son project.
The boat and trailor were free. It looked in pretty bad shape after sitting for about five years here in the pacific northewest.
We got it home and washed it down a little and it seems to be in decent condition inside and out. The 140 is froze. I was hoping the outdrive would be goood but closser inspection revealed a crack in the lower housing. I posted a few pics.
The only thing I have to offer right now is, the boat came with some service manuals for the Mercruiser. Id be happy to share what I can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54163

Hi Ed, and welcome to the site.You will be able to get lots of help here on your boat and motor. Check out the Sterndrive forums. Plenty of merc people people here. Post pics of what you got, We love pics, lots of pics. It is good to see another father and son team on the board. Have fun and good luck. Skip.

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54164

welcome ed and kurtis,there alot of great folks here to help you out on your new adventure,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54179

Welcome aboard, great project boat. That should be a great ride once your done. Double check the flooring and transom for starters. Make sure there isn't any soft spots in the floor or the transom for that mater. you can give the transom the thump test, but one true way is to drill a small hole in the inside of the transom to see what color wood comes out. Don't drill it too deep. You can fill it with epoxy later depending on what you find. Good luck and keep us posted. Take plenty of pics also. :)

Bob

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54183

Waterwings said it all. Make a good though inspection of the whole boat and list things that need to be done and set a realistic goal so you don't become discouraged. Sometimes it takes time but time spent with your son and family will pay off. Keep your eye open for parts and even other boats that may be free. The satisfaction of doing it yourself can not be replaced. We have a ton of good people here who will guide you anyway they can.

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54185

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Having a 1967 140 I can tell you that they only made that outdrive for 2-3 years.So,you can have it welded after inspection of inner housing,gears etc.Had my drive shaft seal area flashed and that was 800...Have you saturated the cylinders with Marvel Oil etc.?
If the engine/drive is toasted I would start scouring CL for the cheapest boat with a newer 140 and outdrive.I THINK a GM inline 6 would also fit with some small mods.,would have to check dimensions,there are a ton of them out there and the engines run forever,I owned two.Trying to rebuild the drive system will cost you a lot more,maybe a toss up if the engine free's up and the block is not cracked

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54192

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
If you are in the Pacific Northwest check out "Northwest Classic Boat Club " there are a bunch of glass nuts there that can help also - more the merrier !! Like they said here - start looking for parts and donor boats and take your time and do the work right . There are lots of video's you can watch and alot of good advice on all subjects . Good Luck

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54275

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.
The boat is cleaning up nicely. I did put come marvs in the cylinders. Keep fingers crossed. There ara a couple of soft spots in the floor on the center line of the boat. Ill have to do some more investigating. Looking forward to doing some salmon fishing in Pugeot Sound this summer.
Attachments:

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54343

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Welcome. I am doing the same with a 1972 Sea Ray. Great winter project. I hope you have a covered area to work on it because it's supposed to snow this weekend. Let us know how it's going.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Introduction 12 years 8 months ago #54381

Nice dog in your avatar robert-lorigan, Ive got one just like it down to the red collar.
Funny story,
I just pulled into the walmart parking lot when i got out and seen a dog in the back of a pick up just like mine. It was parked a coulple iles over. I told my wife "hey look there's drake". the owner was standing next to his truck and seen me looking over that way.He points to me and then points to his hat. I shook my head thinking "ya im looking at your dog".
Then I realized he had the exact same green Cabellas hat on that I was weraing. What a coincidence. I rarly ware that hat.
Now dont tell me your dogs name is Drake too!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online