Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do big old outboards have any scrap value?

Do big old outboards have any scrap value? 12 years 9 months ago #53509

• knots
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What do you guys do with old motor hulks. Any metal scrap value?

Knots

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Do big old outboards have any scrap value? 12 years 9 months ago #53510

Barely any scrap value..

You could make a lot more money looking for aluminum cans to recycle. The aluminum used in outboard engines is considered common grade & not worth what extruded aluminum (cans) are worth. Not even close. The motor is worth more money broken down with all steel removed from the Aluminum. I once took a few V4 engines completely apart & removed all the steel parts from the aluminum. These were junk motors that had no parts value. Boy was I disappointed to find I was only going to get about 20 bucks for all that work. You should first find out if the engine you have has any desirable parts on it. A lot of people are looking for spares, and you may be able to sell of good parts to make a few bucks. Sell or give away anything useable, then scrap the rest.

Re:Do big old outboards have any scrap value? 12 years 9 months ago #53513

• knots
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you, you answered my question.

Knots

Re:Do big old outboards have any scrap value? 12 years 9 months ago #53520

Here they will take small engines as a uncleaned motor block. I had a truckload of old lawnmower , outboard and other small engines and it all went for one price. Check out the local scrap yards.

Re: Do big old outboards have any scrap value? 12 years 9 months ago #53858

definatly pays to do local home work...my part of kansas damaged radiators are bought as "radiator aluminum"...weighted and bought by the pound weather side tanks are on or not...striping them just means less weight-less money...boat motors are called breakage and some dock you on the iron and some don't...john

Re: Do big old outboards have any scrap value? 12 years 9 months ago #53875

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I scrapped a few old V4's that had scoured walls. Spent a few hours with a sledge hammer and sawzall cutting the walls out of the blocks. Put everything in boxes and hauled to a local scrap yard, got the high cast alum price. Iron wasn't worth much. Parts like fuel pumps, fittings, controls etc go for fair prices on EBay but the mailing costs are getting WAY out of line. Hit craiglist with for a free listing and you could probably sell it for a part motor the same price as scrap without the labor.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online