Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacement Windshield

Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53464

I need to replace my plastic windshield on my 1964 runabout. I have done some research and have talked to a few companies that do custom work.
I wanted to throw these questions out to my fellow glassic enthusiasts to aid in the process.
Have any of you ever had a plastic windshield? If you have...what company did you use and what was your experience with them? What was the cost? and lastly would you recommend them? Please send me a company name, website address or phone # if you recommend them.
Thanks in advance..
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53467

You know, if you're kinda handy, you can make your own, Frame and shield. Here's how...
www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-5/wl43-windshield1.html

Re: Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53472

Just had one made for my Glastron. I'll probably have it back in a week or so. Will let you know then how it went.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re: Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53479

Thanks for the link. I will be using the existing moulding so that part is taken care of. I wish that he would have shown how he molded the plastic. I have heated plastics before and bent them. I will use the do it yourself option if I can't find a place that is reasonable in price. One company I have talked to quoted me at $500.
A great resource.
Thanks again
Tim

Re: Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53480

Looking forward to hearing from you. Hope you are satisfied when you get it back.
Thanks,
Tim

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53484

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Tim, here's one of the places that makes windshields, don't know if you've checked them out yet......
www.updplastics.com/
Several of us here face the same dilemma, I think my budget will dictate trying my hand at making my own when the time comes. I've been trying to gather info on the subject like you, if you'll do a "Search Forum" (button in the upper right hand corner) on windshield you'll find all the threads that pertain to the subject.

Mark

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53493

Mark,
Thanks, I checked out their website today and gave them a call. I would have to spend a pretty penny just to ship them the old windshield for them to do a mold and then drape a new shield to it. I also found a guy here locally that I may use. He said he could do it for about $200 (material and labor). I can get 1/4 inch plastic at a shop for $130 if I were to do it myself. If I go to this company...I will let you know and maybe he could do some work for fellow glassic people like you in the future. I love to do things myself but considering that he would charge me $70 in labor that saves me some major stress of screwing up a $130 piece of plastic.
Tim

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53497

I found a Taylor Made from a Glasstron and adapted it to work on my Sea Ray
had to trim it down a bit :wink:

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53500

Got a couple of good used ones you can have for free, but shipping would be an issue I think.

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53514

• gary s
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought one from Taylor Made a few years ago and your right, the shipping was expensive.

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53705

I have a '63 Sea King with the same issue. It is in need of a windshield. Old owners drilled holes in the plexi to stop the cracks, but to no avail. I would be interested in finding one that would work for my boat. I looked at Taylor Made but the $600 price tag ia a little much. Thats twice what I gave for the complete setup! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And I agree that it would have been nice to see what treatment he used on the plexi to mould it for his boat.
Attachments:

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53706

I took too good a pic. The windshield looks in great shape here. I had just arrived home from going to get her and through some wax on her to see how she was going to clean up.

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53707

here is a decent little "how to"on windshields,john
www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,68,00.html

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Replacement Windshield 12 years 9 months ago #53729

• gary s
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online