• Page:

TOPIC: Splitting the hull

Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53205

getting a bit past my experience level here
need to do some heavy glass work on my SR600
and wondered ...
when you take the aluminum rub rail off
#1 best way to cut the rivets ??
#2 I would like to reuse the aluminum channel but the rub rail inset is old and stiff..is there a way to soften it to slide it out or best to just scrap it ??
this rub moulding is solid and the channel is 1 long peice as is the moulding.
#3 any suggestions for salvaging it or should I just fing stuff to replace it ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53207

Re:Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53208

1. There is no "best way". I would experiment with different techniques and find out what works best. If you have an oscillating tool, try that (assuming aluminum and not stainless steel rivets)

2. If it is in otherwise perfect shape, try 3M Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer. If that doesn't work or is too arduous, replace it.

3. I would definitely try to salvage the aluminum trim, if at all possible. It would be cheaper and more original.

Good luck. I will probably be starting that task in early spring myself.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53209

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
MOPAR: If the pull away from hull is prior dock damage,? I can see
a tight isssue.. One would want to keep the ALuminum channel against the top fiberglass. Typically # 1) one would unscrew the TWO END CAPS , upper rear side corner & try to push the rubber rub rail backwards away from hull.. IF dry rot it will break up .. Could be in TWO sections with a seam at the front bow..
2) One would UN-DRILL off the rivot heads with about a # 7 ...0.20 drill bit. 3) Take a round PUNCH & Hammer the back end of the little stud, free of the hole till it falls INSIDE the hull , away sweep out later....4) The top deck is usually like a shoe box fit or slight LIP, to pull out & UP ...BUT the AL channel should have plenty of glue / caulk to stick to glass top .. IMO

Re:Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53236

You might try a heat gun to heat that rubber some to make it more pliable. I would try to save the aluminum. Make sure your rivets are not little screws too. My winner had some rivets but was wood screws where there is wood in it for flotation or stiffness in the gunwale and small screws under the fore deck and is a two man job to take those out unless you got the worlds longest arms. Boat was upside sown here, to the left is the wood and has a mixture of wood screws and rivets. Little bolts went to the bow to the right. The little bolts came out easy as they were all brass.
Attachments:

Re:Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53239

thanks for the responses and advise guys
the rubber seems to be in good shape..just very hardened
got to remove it to save the aluminum for sure
wish me luck ...gonna start on it this week I hope
the wife REALLY wants me to finish her kitchen though :wink:

Re:Splitting the hull 12 years 9 months ago #53243

If you can get to the inside of the hull if you are going to use rivets again you can but little washer like things that are for backing up rivets for a better hold. They will have the same size hole as the rivet. Most standard size is 1/8 but there are larger. They will increase the holding power of the rivet.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online