TOPIC: Engine setup on 13' Wooden Utility

Engine setup on 13' Wooden Utility 12 years 9 months ago #53077

• stashm2
  • stashm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Everyone.

Got working on my Utility tonight and my engine is nearly repainted and ready to go so the boat needs to come together.. My question is On a utility with a 15 inch transom ( was cut down when I got it ) How should the engine be mounted.. at the moment it is as the following pictures look. Is this ok or should it be lower in the water or further out. We are getting ready to make the new parts for the Transom. I am not going for speed here but a usable fun ride...

Thanks
Jesse
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Engine setup on 13' Wooden Utility 12 years 9 months ago #53078

That set=up looks good just as it is. This will give you a dependable ride with good speed also.

Jim Savage

Re: Engine setup on 13' Wooden Utility 12 years 9 months ago #53091

Actually, with that Merc you need to make sure the AV plate is at bottom level as the water intake is on the underside of the plate...

Re: Engine setup on 13' Wooden Utility 12 years 9 months ago #53093

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
As it sit right now its about level with the bottom, I will make sure when all is set to go that its in line and maybe a quarter inch lower for good measure. I can always tweak it with shims. The lower has a new impeller with all the water passeges cleaned out so hopefully all will be well there. :-)

Starting to think Steering.. 12 years 8 months ago #54154

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So I am starting to think about how to attach the steering cables on my Utility.. The wheel had been moved to the front cockpit before I got it so I dont have a good idea as to how lines were originally run.. I am attaching an old pic of how it was set up, The boat is curently being worked on by my father as he is retired and has time for it.. we have decided to use my Mark 35A on it and can either use the steering attachment that mounts on the front or make a bar to attach to the rear of the lower cowl pan. How would all of you sugest I set up ther steering on this. It will have the original wheel and a cable pully system.

Thanks
Jesse

Based on my quick internet search maybe the rings on the rear quarter decks were where the lines originally attached? There were old lines in the boat but for the set up from the front cockpit..

Also what tach can I use for my Mark 35a?
Attachments:

Re:Starting to think Steering.. 12 years 8 months ago #54171

I would go with a rear mounted steering bar. If you can't find an actual one you can have one made out of 1x3/8" bar stock. Have the bends made so that the cable-attachment points align with the swivel of the motor.

As for a tach, a Tiny Tach or similar should work. Older tech Airguides that operate off the magneto may be found on eBay, etc.
Attachments:

Re:Starting to think Steering.. 12 years 8 months ago #54175

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, Chinewalker I should be able to make the bar, What Material should I make it out of? And should I run the cables as they are on my image above?

Thanks
Jesse

Re:Starting to think Steering.. 12 years 8 months ago #54197

Hi Jesse,
Yes, it looks like you have a surface mount steering wheel (drum on wheel side of dash). Run the cables off the bottom of the drum to the pulleys on either side, from there to the steering bar. If you poke around under the coamings you may be able to find the mounting points for the original pulleys. If you add a second set of pulleys at the steering bar your steering will be half-speed (indirect). I prefer lashing the cables to the steering bar - gives more positive steering (direct). Install a spreader where the cables goes through the steering bar so it doesn't crimp/weaken. Do NOT use springs anywhere in the system. If the steering bar is properly centered you will not get slack in the cable when turning.
Use 3/8"x1" steel bar stock for the steering bar. If you have access to someone with steel plate and a plasma cutter, you can have one cut. Dummy one up out of cardboard first if you're unsure. The spread between the ends varies depending on who you talk to, but most are in the 36-inch range, which means you're probably starting off with a 42 to 48 inch piece of stock.
- Scott

Re:Starting to think Steering.. 12 years 8 months ago #54198

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the Help Scott, I will aim to run them direct as you sugest and if I dont like it I will try going back to the rings on the decks and try that. Also do you see any issues with putting its numbers 36-N back on it? Thank you for the help.
Jesse

Re:Starting to think Steering.. 12 years 8 months ago #54219

I don't see any issue at all using the original numbers. You're not racing it, and even if you did, I don't recall anyone using those numbers when I was racing. Leaving it "original" may also help with history aspects down the line if you're showing it somewhere and you happen to run into a previous owner. I've had it happen! A boat I used to own that I thought "might" have been built by a certain guy was confirmed when the gentleman attended the Clayton Raceboat Regatta and told me that he'd built it! Took pics of him with it and everything.

- Scott

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online