Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas?

Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52957

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was thinking today about ways to get another boat into the fleet without ending up divorced or living in my currently unheated shop. (Not that I have time to refinish it or the room to store it!)

I was thinking I could ask a friend to deliver it in the middle of the night, put a big red bow on it and tell the Mrs her present was in driveway. Of course, she'll be thinking its a new car, but when she opens the door and sees a new glassic sitting there.....I bet she'd be surprised!

Has anyone else had this idea? Has anyone tried this idea yet? If so, how did it go?

I can imagine the extraction of the boat from a certain area would be painful and embarrasing. I can actually envision the conversation in the ER...."You see doc, I got the wife a classic boat for Christmas..."

Just kidding, guys. I hope everyone has a VERY Merry Christmas as well as a safe and successful New Year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52958

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
YES, IT IS

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52962

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ya uh huh .......nice one. I did try a pre-engagement boat once. Aristo Craft Torpedo with a Mark 30 as well as a Sea King 25. Even named it after her!
At this point I suck it up and sneak or pretend I didn't notice it was there! Oh ya hon I have had that one for a while. I figure 6 months after the fact she can't boil over that much! That is why I love her!! Don't know why she loves me.

To all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! How ever you celebrate spend it with good family and friends!

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52965

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
A boat always is an appropriate gift for ANY holiday or special occasion, and it also would be suitable at any other time that you feel like either giving or receiving one.

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52969

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Of course! You can always use the old "it followed me home" which would be true if you pulled the trailer.

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52970

A Glassic December to Remember? I wouldn't try it and I'm not married. Unless it is already in good shape. If not, get a down sleeping bag and make sure you have internet access in the shop to let us know how it went.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52981

Maybe if she saw it delivered by flying reindeer and the jolly ol elf himself.....maybe

Happy Holidays!

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52994

Leave your address if you do so we know where to send the flowers.

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52997

Yeah to a wife who shares the passion, other wise your just going to get the "Very freakin' funny, now really where's my present!"

Bob

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #52998

Todd... you are such a card! AAAAAHAAHAAAHOOOOO! :laugh:

Like the Tutor, I too am single, but my GF of more than a decade would throw me out and lock the door.

Put a Lexus under the bow, and you will be the Christmas Star.

Merry Christmas to you Todd and all the rest of the FG neighborhood!

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53006

What do you mean a big Merc all pretty & dressed w/ chrome isn't a 'jewel' you can present her w/ pride? But I thought.......

:unsure:

:unsure:

If only I had married a Julie, it's her FAVORITE!

Drat, Sonja has but up w/ me this long, she's either damaged & the return period has ended, :ohmy: or she is DEFINITELY a KEEPER!! :cheer: I go w/ option 2!! :woohoo:

Thankfully there's time for me to get something more suitable.... B)

I would definitely end up re-enacting that outboard scene from The Deep:

:S

Have a great holiday season this year & happy new year to all!
Attachments:

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53013

I tried to sneak a Glassic home once. The guy I bought it from called my wife to see if I made it home safe with the boat. OOPS! He called before I got home!
He was worried about the tires going. That was 3 years ago and they are still holding air. Yes, we are still married. :blush:

She said that it is better I am working on a Glassic than me going to those sleezy bars with the dance poles. :lol:

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53016

Nope. Will not work. Tryed acouple of yrs ago, Came home one day in january and boat was gone. She told me someone stole it, and it wasn't worth the time to call the police and say someone stole it.I decided it that if I wanted to live in warm house with loving wife it was best to keep my mouth shut. That summer my 110 Merc. disapeared on day after I started it in the basement. Funny thing about all this is she had money to go cloth shopping with after the boat and the motor went missing. I don't even try anymore. Merry Christmas every one and keep your eyes on your toys. Skip. :P

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53018

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Good Morning Everyone,

This is what I love about this crowd and this site. I have been sitting here reading the returns on my original posting, all but peeing myself. Some of you guys should be in comedy.

Like some of you, I also have a great wife. She's understanding (to a point and a fault) but I believe there's a point.

jbcurt - love the pinup. A lost art from a lost era to be sure.

Elgindave - that guy knew what he was doing and no doubt took great laugter in your pain. Remember, buddy is only half the word!

To all - Please havea very safe holidays. The weather may be less than boating weather outside but it seems like the spirit (or should I say spirits?) are alive and well on th site.

At my house we celebrate Christmas but please know that I hope whatever you celebrate, me and mine wish each of you the best now and in the year to come.

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53038

my wife would like a 20' Baja..me a pontoon. we're worlds apart.
Attachments:

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53041

todd,dont forget the 75 hp motor you bought from ed to give her as a present ,so now you need to give her a boat to go with it,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53044

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Morning John,

When the Mrs saw that in the back of the truck, you could see the look in her eyes that said, "OK, where did that come from?" I saw the question looooong before I heard it.

I now try to get all the parts out to the shop before she sees them - no doubt a tactic most of us use. "Oh that...I've had that for a while...where did I get it?...I'm not quite sure." Heck, lately she doesn't even question when I can't remember something, as she thinks Old Timers in in my future. It took years to perfect that technique!

I personally believe she'd just be happy to see faster progress on the boats I've already brought home. How do you get them to understand we're pacing ourselves?

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53045

• OleRed
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Has anyone else had this idea? Has anyone tried this idea yet? If so, how did it go?

Just tell her it's a mobile Yard Ornament, drop the raindeer antlers, put a Flag on it to celebrate July 4th, music box and a scarecrow for Haloween, no reason we can't use it on the lake between seasons .. works Every year.

Link --->
Attachments:

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53059

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good day and Merry Christmas all.

I've tried nearly all of the above scenarios with either old rusty metal that resembled either a car or Harley or now glassics. Knowing I had already used the "look what I got ya" on the Stiletto and the "it followed me home" far too many occasions I was at a loss when I brought the ye ol McChesney home as what to say. Picking up the McChesney required a ferry ride over to Marty Loken's park-n-hide. After running a few errands that morning I headed for the dock to catch the ferry only to see it chugging out of sight.No biggie,I'll catch the next and still be home in time to stash my treasure. I hook up with Marty,make the deal and make the 45 minute run to the ferry terminal only to once again find I will need to wait for the next sailing. I get to the other side and put my foot to the floor knowing it will be close. By the time I got home it is 7 O'clock dark and the car is the driveway,#@%&*. The only place to park is directly across the street from our driveway. I walk into the house and because I haven't come up with a good explanation I keep my mouth shut. Fast forward to the next morning. I hear the front door slam shut and then wait,listening for the sound of the front door being unlocked but never happens (I'm pretending I'm still asleep). Whew! A couple hours later I get a call from a co-worker cautioning me that the love of my life for 30 plus yrs is mumbling "I'm going to kill her,I'm going to kill her" and some other quotes that I dare not repeat here. Somehow I survived, was forgiven and we celebrated 36 yrs together this past Nov 6th.

Attachments:

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53064

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Oceans2,

Great old cruiser!!! That one deserves a good home. I was never a "Minnow" fan but since getting into glassics, my tune has changed. My nephew and I picked up a '57 Winner Corsair, courtesy of some great friends here on FG. We'll post some pics when we start work this winter of the progress. Right now, Jeff's workign a boat load of hours and his spare time is limited.

Congrats on the 36 years together!!! That's something you just don't see these days.

4 easy steps to the doghouse... 12 years 9 months ago #53082

• slo-mo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Good question Todd, and great advice from everyone. It is fascinating to see the lengths that many of us go to feed the addiction.

Didn't work too well when I tried the boat/gift maneuver... :P

Step One: Procure a cute little classic (in this case a '58 Reinell)

Step Two: fire up the photoshop program

Step Three: troll for the perfect running shot (a nice g3!)

Step Four: Move over little dog, this big dog is moving in (don't forget your sleeping bag)

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53084

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good ideas here, but the last one I brought home caused so much grief I think that's it for a long while! (The cold shoulder after the "discussion" that lasts for a few hours is one thing, when it goes on for a few days that's a whole different ball game.)

PS - "I went to buy a motor, but it was still bolted to the boat, so I brought it ALL home" doesn't work either!

Mark

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53092

Guys, life can be so easy B)
You only have to buy some very nice shoes! :laugh:
There is a very easy rule: spend 10% of the price for the boat for her shoes, and everything will be alright! :P

Merry Christmas from Germany!

Sebastian

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53100

My wife got chrome for christmas....for the SR600 :wink:

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53106

Thats funny, my wife also got some chrome too!! She was sooooo good she also got a media blaster!!
Attachments:

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53203

So Todd, how'd it work for ya? Or don't you have internet access in the Doghouse?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53336

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Ironically, I had purchased some parts from Ebay and they "appeared" right before Christmas. One of the is the yoke from a Cessan 172 that I am planning to convert into a steerign wheel for the Shark Capri. The other was a Quicksilver single lever control box with a handle that looks like a fighting knife.

The box for the yoke was somewhat sizeable and I brought it into the house just in time to tell the Mrs "Look what I got you!" Needless to say, she wasn't as happy to see it as I was but I wasn't in the doghouse for it.

I did find out that my wireless network will work out in the shop so, in case I screw up royally, I'll still be able to stay in touch with you guys.

Re:Is a Boat Appropriate for Christmas? 12 years 9 months ago #53575

You guys sure make me glad that my collection is away from home.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online