• Page:

TOPIC: 2? horns

2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52773

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Why is it that some horns are single horns and others are double horns? I have seen a triple but what the hell, why not go to 10 or 20 and scare everybody all into next week. Just curious about that but also I am getting ready to refurbish the double that came with my Crosby and there is a bunch of what appears to be old Mud Daubers nests up inside the horn itself. If I jam a long piece of metal or whatever all the way into the Back of the horn to clean the nests out, do I run the risk of damaging something that will prevent the horn from ultimately working? Thanks in advance.
Shipster
This is actually a repost of an old thread that I started a while back but didn't get any response. Sorry about the department of redundancy department.
Shipster
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52774

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Shipster,
Sgl, Dual, or Triple trumpet is more styling and what kind of sound you're trying to make, IMO. Singles can make as many db, but duals add a two tone effect, etc... John G has more experience with air horns, I haven't seen a set like yours. Most have a metal diaphragm back in the mount area that generates the noise, a wire shouldn't hurt that unless you used a coat hanger and poked really hard! Like I said, not familiar with that style, though..... :unsure:

Mark

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52779

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark. I'll wait for John to chime in (Har, Har, Har)

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52780

Do not poke with wire. Take air fittings off and wash out with hot water. Let dry out really good and the blow so air through inlet fitting to see if they work. Be carefull not to use to high of pressure or you will damage the diaphram. 20 lbs max should do it. Good luck, Ship.

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52788

yep,im chiming in,lol.
skip is right in what he told you,also make sure they work before restoring them,i didnt once and after all that work they didnt work,they were kind of like yours,but you couldnt tear them down to fix them.if you need them restored in paint ship them to me,no charge,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52832

not to steal a thread.I have a set similar that work with my compressor and not much pressure however I cannot get them to work with the small air horn compressor I can find at the auto parts store . How big a compressor is needed? Mine is A dual set.

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52833

59 hustler,each set is a little different,keep trying them with your compressor at lower and lower settings until you find out how many psi it takes to make them work,you can then go to a place like harbor freight and buy a horn compressor for an air horn tht delivers the same or more psi,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52837

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Some of the old horns that actually came off an old truck were designed to run at a much higher pressure, those systems ran as high as 120psi. Looking at the inlet pipe size, I'm wondering ......just have to experiment and see I guess. ;)

PS - Congrats on passing 3000 posts John, quite the milestone buddy!

Mark

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52842

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Skip. I'll start with the water and go from there.
3000 posts, eh. The guy never shuts up.

Re:2? horns 12 years 9 months ago #52888

I have a dual horn Sparten from the mid '60's. Originally it was set up to run on compressed freon. My dad had it on the runabout that we had when we were kids (and I had until the early '90's). He worked at a factory that produced air conditioning equipment so he had access back then to refill the tank. Now days using freon is a big no-no ( you know that whole ozone thing). I now have that horn on my Thompson and it turns alot of heads when I hit the button.
I have it hooked up to a tank that used to be filled with freon (ironically) for filling balloons, ect. It is considered a throw away tank when empty, but it is a nice size and fits great up under the deck. It is smaller than a 20 lb lp tank. I put the right fittings on it and "refill" it with my compressor in my shop and put about 100 lbs in it. If I behave myself it will last most of the summer before I have to take the 5 minutes to refill it. It definitely has the volume and hasn't hurt it in all of these years.

Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online