• Page:

TOPIC: New Floor for a Redfish

New Floor for a Redfish 12 years 9 months ago #52768

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have cut out the 2000 pounds of balsa floor from my Redfish and will need to replace it. I am very open to suggestions.

Has anyone replaced a balsa wood floor? If so, please share how you did it, where you got your materials, etc.

I would also deeply appreciate any pics you may be able to share about the seat boxes and your interior. I can use all the ideas I can find to make mine look good.

Thanks in advance, all. Have a terrific day!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Floor for a Redfish 12 years 9 months ago #52769

Balsa floors are one of the easier floors to install, with the exception of getting the old material out. Balsa coring is available in sheets - the material is grain oriented and glued to a fiberglass or cloth backing. The sheets are flexible, because the sheet is made up from lots of little pieces of wood. The sheets are available in a variety of thickness and sheet size. The sheets are trimmed to the desired shape with a knife and straight edge. The panels are glued to the hull with thickened resin - either poly or epoxy. The resin is trowled onto the hull, and the sections of balsa are embedded into it. Then more thiskened resin is spread over the balsa and forced into the small voids around each individual section of wood. It is a lot like laying tile on a floor. Then the floor is glassed over to protect and seal it. It makes a very strong & lightweight floor.

Just do a google search on balsa core panels and you will find many sources. If you have access to a sand blaster, or can afford to take the hull to be blasted - I would prep the hull for the new floor that way. Sanding fiberglass is a horrible job, and the sand blasted glass will adhere to the new material better than a sanded hull.

Re:New Floor for a Redfish 12 years 9 months ago #52783

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Evening Bruce,

Thanks a million!!! I have some time before my next semester starts and would like to get a jump on this. The way you've explained it, it should be a multiple weekend project, but doable in short order.

I have a portable sand blaster. I appreciate the tips, too!

Take care and have a terrific week!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online