• Page:

TOPIC: Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning

Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52653

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I purchased an Aqua Meter speedometer and tachometer for the Glastron. They both work, but need to be taken apart and cleaned (and maybe have the trim ring re-chromed). Anybody done this before and could give me an idea of how to disassemble it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52654

This process can be done - but it does have a level of risk. The meter lens was placed in the housing, then the inner case was press fit into the chrome bezel. They were never intended to be taken apart. I have used a large hex socket that has a diameter just a tad smaller than the bezel opening. The socket is placed with the open end over the dial lens. The socket is used to drive the instrument case and lens from the chrome housing. The socket must clear the opening of the bezel, but just barely enough to pass through. Place the case on the bed of a drill press or arbor press - face upward. Lay a small block of hard wood across the top of the socket to act as a buffer for the press chuck or arbor head. Carefully exert downward force on the press - watching that the socket is perfectly straight at all times. The instrument will pop free of the housing. I have even done this with meters that have a glass lens. You can also line the edge of the socket opening with a layer of duct tape to help protect the lens of the instrument. Replacement lens can be ordered from a clock repair supply. Do not use any harsh cleaners on the dial face - sometimes just touching the dial with your finger will ruin it.

Good luck.

Re:Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52666

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestion. The bezel opening is 2-3/4" and I don't have a socket that large. Any idea what size? My guess would be about 2-3/8" to 2-1/2". One that size is WAY out of budget to purchase for this purpose. I'll see if I can borrow one. I almost assume that the glass will be destroyed in this. True?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52679

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I've taken a few of them apart- I'm not sure if they are the same style or not, though. Mine were press fit and there was a small 'crimp' in the bezel on the back that held it in place. I was able to use a small pair of pliers to kind of straighten out the crimp, and then carefully 'forced' it apart. I was able to get it off without breaking the cover. The face of the bezel was VERY delicate, as bruce mentioned. Originally, I was going to try to clean it up and perhaps even wax it, but I did a quick test and it was obvious that it wasn't going to stand up to that, so I gave it a quick surface cleaning, polished the cover, and called it good...

I haven't even put it back together- I have a bunch of them, and tried it on a 'junker' first. I wanted to see if I could do it on one of my bad ones before I attempted it on a nicer one!

-Andrew

Re:Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52685

You may want to talk to Andrew to get a better idea of how he takes the Aquameters apart. I have pressed the meters apart without breaking the lens - but there is a risk. Glass ones are available from clock supply companies. It just occoured to me... If you don't havce a socket that size, find a section of PVC pipe that will do the trick. Most likely the black sewer pipe stuff will be the best choice. You may find an adapter fitting just the right size. It needs to just barely fit inside the gauge opening - this reduces the pressure on the bezel glass/plastic.

Re: Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52695

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Evening All,

I'm not sure they rebuild marine guages, but Powl's Speedometer in Lancaster, PA did a terrific job for me. They are an authorized speedo certification center that a lot of police departments use. They totally rebuilt the speedo for my 944 at ridiculously low price only a few years back. I think the whole rebuild was bout $50. (The speedo and odometer did absolutely nothing before they did their magic.) It was pretty cool to actually be able to know the answer when the Maryland State Trooper asked me, "Do know how fast you were going?"

Powl's number is 717-898-2552. Their hours are Monday to Friday 7:30 to 5:00.

Re: Aqua Meter Gauge cleaning 12 years 9 months ago #52702

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
2" sch 40 pipe has a 2.375 OD and 2-1/2 is 2.875. Probably try with the 2" since the 2-1/2 is too big. I could also bevel the end so there is more bearing surface on the glass. Not a bad solution. Thanks.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT