Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: it's time to quit

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52592

Sorry to hear that John, However I think I may be speaking for all that we much rather see you here then in a hospital. I do hope that your health improves.

Just remember that there is knowledge that you have that you can still share. All that have gained from your knowledge will be indebted to you always

Best to you
Allan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CAVU

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52596

John,
I have to echo what Allan said. I'm sorry about your health and the decision but it's probably for the best now. Maybe as time goes on in the healing process little things will come along. Please take care of yourself and continue to pass on your wisdom and expertise to the group. A very Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year if I don't talk to you before then.

Bob

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52597

DOH! Double post!

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52599

John,
We have never met, but I sure feel real bad when I read about a person like you and what you are going through. There are days that I feel like throwing in the towel, you see, I am no young buck, I am 78 years young. This is one thing I know for sure, that when I feel really bad, I ask the Lord to help me and be with me like he was, with me when I was in the Army during the Korean War, and you know what John, I know he was with me, I came home safe and sound, take it for what it is worth. I hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR.
Eddie Grijalva, ex-Glasspar employee, 1952/62

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52603

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John
As your knee heals and the season turns back to summer, I know in my heart that you will be busy with the little projects. Big projects are just that, big projects. The little ones that keep the hands and head sharp are just as important and needed. Through the years I have aged and slowed down also. We just have to pick more carefully what we tackle. Sharing here with the FG family, in my eyes, is invaluable. I hope to be hearing and reading your posts.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Not buying 12 years 9 months ago #52604

• slo-mo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
OK John, I'm calling BS on this one. We haven't met, but I've been lurking around long enough to know that you have a pattern of over-committing (because of your big-albeit weakened-heart)and getting overwhelmed like we all do.

While monetary issues are more difficult to solve, your normally upbeat attitude, coupled with can-do skills - are very inspirational, especially given the physical challenges you are facing.

I understand the frustration, when your mind says yes - but your body won't cooperate. Being 45 with progressive Multiple Sclerosis, my stubborn nature allows me to battle through the fact that my left hand and leg are worthless for any physical challenge. Like you and many others, we forge ahead with creativity and resolve because we were built that way...on most days!

Please stop overpromising and way-overdelivering for everyone else, and concentrate on yourself and your supportive family. Choose your favorite boat, lose the rest, and get down to your restoration. We would all love to pay back your generosity in kind...

Start a resto thread, do what you can, when you can, and give the classic boating community a chance to help with materials, time and encouragement. It is your turn Buddy!

Get on the water soon, :)

greg
seattle, wa

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52605

John, I know exactly how you feel. That's why I finally gave up and got rid of all the boats. Got one trailer left to do, then that's it (I think). I just want you to be in good health and spirits buddy! Merry Christmas to you!

Frank

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52606

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, I can only imagine that this must have been one of the very hardest posts that you have ever made here on this forum. I can tell that you made it with some very well thought out reasoning and speaking for the others here, you have our complete support in whatever decision(s) you make. Fortunately this is not a goodbye but rather just a well deserved time to exhale. Enjoy your family, have a great holiday, GET YOUR HEALTH BACK IN ORDER and keep in touch Many thanks.
Shipley
Also, we're not that far from each other and I would love to stop up and meet face to face. It would be my pleasure.
S.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52607

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
TallTexan wrote:

Sorry to hear that John, However I think I may be speaking for all that we much rather see you here then in a hospital. I do hope that your health improves.

Just remember that there is knowledge that you have that you can still share. All that have gained from your knowledge will be indebted to you always

Best to you
Allan

thank you allan,your kind words make this a little easier,and i will still help anybody that needs it.
john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52608

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob ,thank you ,im glad i got the chance to meet you,your a great guy.john
grijalvaet wrote:

John,
We have never met, but I sure feel real bad when I read about a person like you and what you are going through. There are days that I feel like throwing in the towel, you see, I am no young buck, I am 78 years young. This is one thing I know for sure, that when I feel really bad, I ask the Lord to help me and be with me like he was, with me when I was in the Army during the Korean War, and you know what John, I know he was with me, I came home safe and sound, take it for what it is worth. I hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR.
Eddie Grijalva, ex-Glasspar employee, 1952/62

thank you eddie,and thank you for your service,im glad your still able to go at 78,its an inspiration.
i will still do the small stuff,thank you john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52610

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks neil,im still looking forward to seeing that wood,lol,i will put it to great use,lol.
ill still be back from time to time,heck maybe more than that ,lol.
i do plan on restoring stuff,just alot smaller,lol.thanks buddy,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Not buying 12 years 9 months ago #52611

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
slo-mo wrote:

OK John, I'm calling BS on this one. We haven't met, but I've been lurking around long enough to know that you have a pattern of over-committing (because of your big-albeit weakened-heart)and getting overwhelmed like we all do.

While monetary issues are more difficult to solve, your normally upbeat attitude, coupled with can-do skills - are very inspirational, especially given the physical challenges you are facing.

I understand the frustration, when your mind says yes - but your body won't cooperate. Being 45 with progressive Multiple Sclerosis, my stubborn nature allows me to battle through the fact that my left hand and leg are worthless for any physical challenge. Like you and many others, we forge ahead with creativity and resolve because we were built that way...on most days!

Please stop overpromising and way-overdelivering for everyone else, and concentrate on yourself and your supportive family. Choose your favorite boat, lose the rest, and get down to your restoration. We would all love to pay back your generosity in kind...

Start a resto thread, do what you can, when you can, and give the classic boating community a chance to help with materials, time and encouragement. It is your turn Buddy!

Get on the water soon, :)

greg
seattle, wa

greg,you are right about too many irons in the fire,lol.
and with you plugging right along with MS,it makes my little problems even smaller,like the saying goes when you think you have it bad,just look what another is going through.
it brings things into prospective.

as for doing for others ,it keeps me feeling good ,and many of them have really helped me in the past,as i was once told by a smart man,pay it forward.

you my friend are a very nice guy,i hope to meet you someday.

i thought about keeping one boat to finish,out of 3 cool ones i could not make up my mind,lol.
i thank you so very much for the kind words and thoughts,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52612

WELL....
I feel like I am missing a great resource with your leaving
I too am sorry to hear about your health but hope you will stay around for awhile
I may still have questions...lol

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52613

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frank,yep i look at these old boats just laying around and i couldnt even begin to think of which one i wanted to start on,let alone actually starting on it.

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52614

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Shipster wrote:

John, I can only imagine that this must have been one of the very hardest posts that you have ever made here on this forum. I can tell that you made it with some very well thought out reasoning and speaking for the others here, you have our complete support in whatever decision(s) you make. Fortunately this is not a goodbye but rather just a well deserved time to exhale. Enjoy your family, have a great holiday, GET YOUR HEALTH BACK IN ORDER and keep in touch Many thanks.
Shipley
Also, we're not that far from each other and I would love to stop up and meet face to face. It would be my pleasure.
S.

shipley ,you are right it was the hardest post i have ever made here.
i just told my wife and she seemed a little disapointed that i am not keeping one of the boats.
i will hang around the forum ,you all have been great to me.
and i would love to meet you to someday,thank you and merry christmas to all of you,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52616

John just don't jump the gun here. Slow down first and just do what you feel like doing. If you stop you will quickly become bored with life. So what, keep the boat or two you really want to finish. Take it slow and easy. My Winner has been a project 3 years and is not done. I put a time limit on it two years ago and was not going to renew the registration on the MFG this year. Guess what it is due. I'm not worried, it will get done. When my legs and back get the best of me I sit down. Mowing my yard used to be 45 minutes, now it's 3-4 hours but I still do it. One thing you better not do and that is drop out of here and only check in. Most of my friends in this whole world is on the internet because most or a large number of my friends have met untimely deaths over the years.
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52617

john, wow..i just woke up and am reading this. it sure does put a damper on my boating enthusiasm. its hard to swallow that sue and i won't share your friendship at future meets and shows. please give the winter for your knee to heal and when the spring comes re-evaluate your position. i told you were collecting too many boats. get rid of them and keep the fish or the devilray and SLOWLY restore it. i'm sure that nephew has weighed on your enthusiasm also. you were extremely excited to begin restoring that boat with him, and he has let you down. i'll talk to you soon bud, i'm on my way to pennsy for the weekend. ron

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52618

John,

When the bug bit me, I ended up with about 12 boats. It was frustrating not knowing which one to work on so I have slowly pared it down to about 6 and I'm still working on it. The plan is to have about 3 as keepers. Less maintenance, etc.

On the plus side, I finally have one that I can actually USE. I find it much more relaxing to go out on the river than it was to stress about working on it.

I hope you have a "keeper" to enjoy.

Take it easy, buddy.

Ken

Hello, World!!

Re:it's time to SLOW DOWN !!! 12 years 9 months ago #52619

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
John,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, just now drug my lazy rear-end out of bed. Near exhaustion brought on almost 12 hours of sleep last night, totally unheard of for me. You know I'm usually up by 5AM even on the weekends, checking in here is the first thing I do while swilling coffee to get my day started.

Our friends and family here have responded with everything that ran through my brain when I read your post. (I'm so proud of the members here, thank you all very much for your heart-felt responses!) My eyes are still a little bleary from the tears, and there is still a huge lump in my throat from reading your post. I believe what you're experiencing now is something many of us have felt, and everyone will eventually. Great advise given by many in response.

Please consider keeping at least one "project boat" around to tinker with when you feel like it. No rush, just something to do when you get the urge. Getting rid of the rest is a viable option, may take some of the "self induced pressure" off you! Many of us love you like a brother, even though we've never had the pleasure and privilege to meet you face to face. You're a regular fixture around here, please take care of yourself first, and do anything else on the side as you feel able. Drop out of sight and we'll send a posse up there to hunt you down! :laugh:

Take care, my friend.

Mark

Re:it's time to SLOW DOWN !!! 12 years 9 months ago #52626

I'm probably the closest and with his gimpy leg I might even be able to catch him. Maybe when we get old we can have wheelchair races but John I don't think you can give it all up. JUST SLOW DOWN, we understand. Get rid of the projects you really don't want and keep just the best. Take years like i am. I can't stay on my feet that long or get on my knees at all. Getting up is hard and painful. Think about it for awhile.

Re:it's time to SLOW DOWN !!! 12 years 9 months ago #52627

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
John, last July when I was thinking of buying the Herters I googled all the info I could get on it. The first and last items were the youtube videos of you and your friend buzzing the lake and the pictures of your blue Herters on the trailer. It was that and this forum that gave me the courage to pull the trigger on the buy. Your encouragement over the past few months keeps me going. You made a wise decision to slow down but please do not quit. Keep the boat you are working on with you neph. Get rid of the Herters, it's too much work!!!! :ohmy: I would welcome any input you would have on my project, it's always good to have a partner sharing ideas. Quiting is not an option in life. I don't think you realize how much you have influenced and guided others in the right directions.
God bless
Cal
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52628

Dam this one legged old farts trying to figure out what to say. I'm going through a lot of sh-t right now with my leg. I did give up one boat i realy wanted to restore but i have a G3 i want to get done by summer. I'm pissed right now because the doc screwed up sewing my leg up right and have to go in and have it done all over again. You said I put things into prospective for you. From what I can tell from your posts your not a quiter and like you say smaller projects you plan on doing. Hey if you don't think you can do boat what about motors I have about 30 of them and only have maybe 10 running so with one boat to do and a bunch of motors I'm going to have some fun. So hang in there and stay around here. We need people that can help us when we get stuck on something big and small.
Enjoy life to the fullist no matter what you do.
Mike aka the piratea
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52632

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well John Boy, I did the same thing, I'm down to just the Barracuda and our every day, day user boat,that's it right now for me as I am no spring chicken any more. I'm 68 years old and would do another boat but before that happened the Barracuda would have to go, just not going to have a yard full of them sitting around any more. So, someone buy the Barracuda so I can go find the next good project to keep me busy for the next couple of years.
Merry Christmas and the very best to you and all here.
The JAG ster!
Darn Elgin anyway, wish I still had her, she was my first, never should have sold "Dreamsicle"
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52633

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John : I'm with the general public here. You have way too much knowledge and energy to just quit. Like they say - just take the pick of the litter and work on that when you have the energy. Its winter now and hard to think about boating but with me this is the only thing that keeps my mine off of the problems in the world. They say that puzzles keep your brain strong and these old plastic boats keep me thinking. Its great to figure out how to fix these boats with little $$$$ and alot of imagination. We have never met but you send out a very good vibe and I would hate to see that go away. Keep posting and slow down - Prioritize your projects but stay active nobody is in a hurry to see anything finished. To look out and see 6 project boats would get kinda frustrating - thin the herd there's a newcomer out there that would love a project boat give 4 or 5 of them up ! Good luck John - prayers be with you and your family !!

Posted a little humor ? Redneck smoke detector
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52634

pay attention to you, health and the most precious thing in the world.
Have Fun ! ;)

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52640

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, my sentiments echo whats already been said here. Take care of yourself, and those close to you, but dont abandon us all-together!

I imagine you're frustrated with not being able to accomplish the things you want to, perhaps after additonal re-coup time, you'll can reassess everything. And perhaps your nephew can come on board as an extra pair of hands when needed.

Whatever you decide, short term or long term, I wish you the best, and each time I wear my JGRestorations cap, I'll think of you!

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52643

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Your health needs to come first- So SLOW DOWN and take it easy. You're probably better off just taking it slow and doing small projects here and there rather than trying to tackle big ones... I know that we are alike in that we both tend to try to do TOO much- I've got so many irons in the fire I have trouble keeping track sometimes! Its a good idea to just sit back and relax from time to time.

-Andrew

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52644

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Yep, I'm getting that way too, age kicking in fast, and me too, slowing down, but not giving up yet! Take it a day at a time. Wish ya the best, Robby

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52648

Been busy the past couple days. Blew me away when I read this. I agree with what the masses here have to say.

In the fall of 2010 you were lookin' for an easy boat to do for yourself, now there's 6. I remember a boat with a thunderbird on the bow deck, no wood...easy. My minds eye saw your art work all over that boat. A far out waterbird tattoo'd on the bow deck, fringed buckskin seats, carved wood on the dash, etchin', maybe even some bead work and a berch bark paint job. If ya can't see the forest for the trees, get rid of some of the trees. Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirt.

1. Get your knee healed up, takes longer when your older, first & foremost your health.
2. Lighten the load, a bucket list is not list of ways to kick the bucket;)
3. Something you enjoy should not have a deadline.

P.S. As a kid growin' up in the Rockies gettin' a pedal car in the winter was poor planin' :unsure:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52649

John,

I read this earlier this morning and I had no idea how to respond. Given a days worth of thought and activity, I'll see if I can do it now.

You've got to take care of your health first. And you need to do whatever it takes to do that. We all want you around here a long time.

Six boats is a lot and I understand the overwhelming nature of that. I wouldn't want six boat projects staring me in the face every time I look out the window. I would suggest listen to the people who say pick one and work on that. You, like the rest of us here, are a project guy. You have to have something going on. If you don't, you'll drive yourself and Sue crazy. Think about picking one boat to do and don't put any time frame on it. Do it at your leisure and enjoy. When you don't want to or can't, leave it. It will be there.

If you have made up your mind to get rid of everything and move on, then do it. We'll all be behind you, whatever you decide. And you can still show up at an event now and then. You know you'll always be among friends.

I appreciate your comment that you intend to do the stuff that I sent you. No pressure on that at all. If it isn't going to work out, let me know.

Maybe you can do what every politician does when they quit, write a book. The difference is that people will want to read this one. 8-)

Take care of yourself and I do still expect to hear from you on the Forum at least. Let us know what is going on.

Todd
aka thetudor.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52650

John,

I read this earlier this morning and I had no idea how to respond. Given a days worth of thought and activity, I'll see if I can do it now.

You've got to take care of your health first. And you need to do whatever it takes to do that. We all want you around here a long time.

Six boats is a lot and I understand the overwhelming nature of that. I wouldn't want six boat projects staring me in the face every time I look out the window. I would suggest listen to the people who say pick one and work on that. You, like the rest of us here, are a project guy. You have to have something going on. If you don't, you'll drive yourself and Sue crazy. Think about picking one boat to do and don't put any time frame on it. Do it at your leisure and enjoy. When you don't want to or can't, leave it. It will be there.

If you have made up your mind to get rid of everything and move on, then do it. We'll all be behind you, whatever you decide. And you can still show up at an event now and then. You know you'll always be among friends.

I appreciate your comment that you intend to do the stuff that I sent you. No pressure on that at all. If it isn't going to work out, let me know.

Maybe you can do what every politician does when they quit, write a book. The difference is that people will want to read this one. 8-)

Take care of yourself and I do still expect to hear from you on the Forum at least. Let us know what is going on.

Todd
aka thetudor.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52651

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
John,

I've been watching my father slowly lose the ability to do the things he enjoys. (like boating) It is terribly painful to all parties involved. Your message hits very close to home for me.

I wish you the best in whatever project(s) you choose to tackle and of course good health as well.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52655

John,
John Gibson, Contributing Member 2986 posts. Well John that in itself speaks volumes to me. I know how you feel all to well as I too have a pile of medical crap I have to deal with too. In fact several of us old sea dogs have medical issues and can't do what we used to. BUT John this is a part of you and that you can never deny. Never give up just step back and take another swing at it is my advice. I had too, How do you think I felt when my doc tells me I can no longer run our funny car or even Race the superpro car down the track. For 30 years I Drag Raced and there was nothing I loved more than pokin that Funny Car 200mph down the track. No sir I am not tellin tall tails here thats what this family did for fun. Plus 30 years of restoring muscle cars all the way back to painting cars with a kirchief over my nose. Ya so that was dumb but I was young and Dumb, 10 foot tall and bullet proof too. Not so much today because of what I did for a living. In Fact we started this museum in 2008 the last year I was racing. I am so glad we did because I work at the pace I can stand and I suggest you ponder that too. None of us are getting any younger and the old hotrod (our Body) is showing its age. Never the less for a man like you to up and quit, Well I just can't see it. You have a vast amount of knowledge that you can and should share, As long as you can hold a wrench you should turn it. As long as you can hold a paint gun make something pretty. I will NEVER give up that you can count on. Working on boats gives me a sence of peace and I firmly believe many of the guys on here feel the came way. Now here is a couple of guys that told me the same thing, Dennis Hubschen and Clyde Hagen, Both Boat loving fools too. Many people remember Clyde with his struggle with cancer that he eventually lost. But to the end he never gave up his love for boats and I am proud to say today his sons Chuck and Brian have taken the reins to pick up where they're dad left off, A week ago they posted a thread about the new building they built to do just that. My Buddy Dennis, WOW what a guy, In his youth he was the split image of James Dean, In his army days he drag raced a old 30s truck called the General, through out his life he loved hotrod and had a special passion for boats, I believe at last count he had 40 some and over a 100 motors. One day he too called me up and said he was giving up cuz he felt like crap that day. At age 64 he said he just wanted to quit and sell it all. Well it never happened he went on to build 3 more boats before one day he had a stroke walking to a boat he was working on, I remember it well it was a cute lonestar. My point here is that he left on his own terms doing what he loved. If I have my choice that is how I choose to go as well. John the moral of the story here is these guys never gave up but some days they sure felt like it.

John
Boats, Motors and Boating is a part of you and The kind of man you are helping others with they're projects I want to see continue, As for your projects do it like I did and I believe this was suggested above too. Pick a project work on it with no timeline and if you need help ask for it many a old sea dog on here would be glad to help ya out. As Red Green said, "Were all in this together and I am pullin for ya"

Bob
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52656

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow,just wow.im having alot of thoughts racing through my head,i just got back on,after spending a great day with my wife,lorraine.
i have read every post,and wow,im overwhelmed!
i just dont know where to start,but you all mean a lot to me.
i just sat here beside the computer ,talking with my wife about this,and she also wants me to keep 1 boat of my own,and work on it as i am able.
i have 3 i really like for different reasons,most of the reasons are because some of you had something to do with that particular boat,like buying me a bowlight for christmas for one of them,it means alot to me that you did that.
on another boat,it was given to me,and some of you went above and beyond to get it from Connecticut to ny where i could pick it up,that also means a great deal to me.
and the other was given to me,from ed,my moms fiance,that also means alot.
im so torn ,i want to keep them all because of everything my fg friends have done for me.
but its not fair that they rot away in my yard.

but the very most important thing to me is staying in touch with all of you.
i will keep up with you all on here,im just saying i came to the realization that i cant do them all,heck i might not even get 1 of them done.
boy i am for the 1st time having a really hard time saying what i want to say,because i dont know what that is?

i wish i could answer all of you post by post,but your response is overwhelming, and truly wonderful,i am truly blessed with great friends,and that above all of it means the most to me!

i think im having to much time to think,and i dont know what direction to take,boy im just really confused right now.

i guess i thought i could do it all,but i can't.
boy i have alot more thinking to do,thank you all for your wonderful responses,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52657

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
john, iam sorry to hear that. but it is what ever you decide to do , as it is your health and welfare that are most important. take care buddy, and have a very happy holiday season. frog

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52658

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We've never met but I think I can understand.
You know everyone seems to be saying the same thing, in their own way. That's only because it's true. Don't hurt yourself by doing more than you should. But, don't stop living.
When my Wife of 46 years died after a long illness. I couldn't face things. However after I had time to adjust to the new reality, I realized that Life Must Be Lived. It will never be the same as it was but it's pretty darn good and worth the effort.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52661

Hi John--I just sent off an email to you re trying to find the Herter's glove box door and other stuff, including encouraging you to keep involved in the hobby. At that point, I knew you were thinking about slowing down, but I hadn't read this Forum and didn't know you had come to a conclusion.

It's obvious from the many posts here that you have deeply impacted an extraordinary number of people. I've never even met you, and yet through a few emails I already feel like we're good friends. That's a remarkable quality that you have--to make a newbie feel so welcome, just by taking the time to be encouraging and offering your help.

I would like to echo what almost everyone else has said. First and foremost is your physical health; if working on classic boats is really adversely impacting that, you need to give it up. That's sad, but you have to set priorities, and health should be number one.

Second, at least in my mind, is your mental health. While equally as important as physical health, often I think you have a little more control over it. I haven't known you for years, like many people here, but I can't help but wonder if you're not just in a "funk" right now. Perhaps recovering from the knee surgery along with your other medical issues is weighing you down mentally, and the prospect of all the work to be done restoring your fleet is just overwhelming. Just like physical problems, it is essential to address the mental ones, too. And if the only thing that will make you feel better is to get rid of all your boats, then so be it.

HOWEVER, like so many others here I can't help but feel there is a reasonable middle ground that would work out better for you--it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I would encourage you to not focus on how hard it would be to finish all the boats you have; I suggest you think about which one(s) you would most like to finish, keep that one (or three), and free up a little mental energy by getting rid of the rest. Take the ones you decide to keep, wrap them up as best you can, and then plug away when the spirit moves you and you feel that "itch." I can't imagine the boats are going to deteriorate too much more in the meantime--after all, most of them sat around in the weather for 50+ years before people like you decided to bring them back to life anyway, so what difference is a few more years going to make?

At the very least, I would postpone any decisions until your knee is back to 100%, and you can evaluate this at a better time, such as when Spring is just around the corner. Then, if you still feel you need to get rid of everything, at least it will have had time to sink in. Although it's really none of my business, you're such a nice guy I would hate to see you make what might be a pretty big mistake.

I know I had a period where I was recovering from breast cancer, went blind in one eye (fortunately temporarily), and was having some serious back and knee problems. At that point, I was considering getting rid of all my antique motors, which were just laying around all over the place. Flash forward about 8 months, everything got better, and next thing you know I was building a nice new display rack, to proudly show off my collection. The point is, when you're down, it's tempting to "free up your mind" by letting things go, but when your spirits return to being high, you might gain a whole new perspective. The trick is to not jump the gun until you are totally, absolutely, 100% sure you want to give up the hobby. If you have to really think about it, "agonize" over it, then I think it's too soon. You'll know with no doubt when and if you want to get out, and I don't get the sense you're there yet--you're still a little conflicted.

Well, John, that's my 2 cents worth. Whatever happens, I certainly wish you the best, and like so many others, I hope to draw on your knowledge from time to time.

Shannon

Shannon

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52673

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you all again,shannon i think your right,its not so much the physical things as it is ,that im just feeling overwhelmed right now,i know im starting to sound like a drama queen,and for that i apologize.
when i hear of all the bad stuff some of you all went through,i feel im not that bad off.
with all this downtime and i look out the door everyday at those boats,its just getting to me.
i have to finish the room/porch addition i started 2 years ago,soon to be 3 years,and last night the drains all blocked up in the house,but broke free a little later,its back hoe fixing time,lol.
as i reread this i sound like a crybaby,especially after hearing what some of you went through or are going through.
i just have to toughen up,and quit whining,thanks to everyone who has encouraged me,for that i will be forever grateful.
im just going to have to pick one boat and take lot of time on it.thank you all,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52677

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
welcome back

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52688

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just my two cents ( or maybe I'm up to four cents now ) Pick two - do the one with your nephew first because we need more young people to get into this obsession and not just us old farts and also you know that boat will go away when its done. Wish I would have had a guy with your knowledge to help me with my first boat. Then pick the one that has the least amount of physical work to keep and play around on ? You are not being a whiner, sometimes a guy just needs to hear from others what he really knows inside. Good luck John and Merry Xmas and hope you have a great next year !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online