Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: it's time to quit

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52688

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Just my two cents ( or maybe I'm up to four cents now ) Pick two - do the one with your nephew first because we need more young people to get into this obsession and not just us old farts and also you know that boat will go away when its done. Wish I would have had a guy with your knowledge to help me with my first boat. Then pick the one that has the least amount of physical work to keep and play around on ? You are not being a whiner, sometimes a guy just needs to hear from others what he really knows inside. Good luck John and Merry Xmas and hope you have a great next year !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52694

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Oh Hell No!!! John, I definitely know what you're feeling. Between school, the kids, the Mrs and every other darned thing I have on my agenda, I always find my boats coming in dead last. I still haven't finshed rearranging the shop after getting two of the boats inside! My son and I were out there today and that got me to thinking about what you and I spoke about when I made it out to your neck of the woods. The great people wev're "met" and actuallly met through FG have been insiprational to us both. That alone can drag us through a crappy spell. I found myself a bit melancholy the other day and finally realized it was just the amount of crap on my plate and the dullness of the weather. So what did I do? I signed on to Fg and then to Ebay. Bought a speedo pretty cheap, even though I didn't need it. I could ahve used the cash somewhere else but it did a bit of good until the next time I need a fix.

Whatever you do, DON"T throw in the towel. I can henestly say we all need you here. Your words of wisdom and wit have given us all a lot of food for thought and laughs. (Remember Offshore.....Now that was truthfully darn funny!)

Hang tough my friend. None of us has the fountain of youth in the backyard. I came in from the shop today because the cold from the concrete was killing my hips and back. I'll pay for my bit of fun tomorrow when I try to roll out of bed. The cure for the aches and pains is the friendships we have here with the other old broken FG junkies. Even Obamacare can't charge us for the RX!

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52714

john, if you want those boats out of your sight your welcome to store them at my place in pennsy. its good to hear your re-considering your position. ron

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52735

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,i think i have decided to keep one boat out of 3 that i like and mean something to me,2 of the others need way too much work.
the one for the nephew i will see about come spring,i gave it to my nephew ,and put it in the garage,even ahead of my own boat.
i even gave him everything i had bought for one of my boats over time ,1 piece at a time,that we would use in his boat,it sat in my garage from July until about October,and he only came out 2 times to work on it.
i was really looking forward to working on it with him,but oh well he is 16 and "in love",i guess i might have done the same at his age.
yeah todd,your right,i was going to stay at fg,just without any boats to work on,its just that i have realized that i will never be able to even do the 3 that i like,i have alot to do here,honey do list,among alot of other things.lol,lol.
thanks ron thats a great offer ,but they will only make your place look like a boat graveyard too,lol.
i just have to figure out which boat i want to keep,im having a real hard time deciding,maybe i'll make a poll,lol.

i think im just getting real about things,and trying to get my priority's straight.
john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52749

john, the Devilray is the boat to restore.
reasons...1. its a much better handling boat with more interior room.
2. it was given to you free by someone who knew you would restore it.
3. two from our FGNE family aided in getting the boat in your hands.
4. its a northeast boat.
5. I SAID SO....hehe
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52754

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep ron,the most important is my fg friends worked so hard to get it for me,and im forever grateful ,but my wife hates it.
she likes the jet deville,and it would be the easiest to finish.
but i like the devil ray and flying fish,but they would be harder to restore,im still thinking,lol.
its so darned hard to chose,they all need alot of work.
and because of that it would be a complete custom restoration.
im probably going to agree with you,i dont know yet,lol.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52772

Mr. Gibson, with God's help, take it one day at a time, there is more time than life. What I do now to keep busy, I oil paint. Check out one of my paintings.
Eddie.
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52777

John,
My vote is the Ray as you already know. Way cool hull!

Bob

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52785

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
eddie,very nice painting ,i used to do lot of oil painting,it was relaxing,might just take up the brush again,lol.

bob,i have a feeling that the devil ray will win out in the popularity contest,im keeping it close ,i think its a good canidate because there is no interior what so ever,and you know i like to customize things,so i have a blank page.
but the jet deville i like too and is my wifes favorite.
the flying fish is very cool and i already bought the glovebox lid and cigarette holder for it,it would be the hardest to do its in the worst shape.
john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52804

John
Sorry to hear you're struggling w/ stepping back & spending time on other things. I haven't been around FG long, but it is clear that you've been a huge influence across many resto forums, threads & boards. Take the holiday's & spend time & energy on the family you love. Who knows, the MRS. may beg you to go back to your boat projects :) .... Or you'll discover that you love the projects as much (dare I say better) then the actual family. Yeah, ok, probably never that, but you get my drift. Keeping the projects & loosing the backhoe or the roof, sounds more like me then you! Same with keeping all the projects & loosing your health. Pick a good 1 that you & the MRS. love, mothball the rest under tarps for the winter. Move the nephew's boat out with the mothball storage. And don't work on the jet or devil ray just yet. But keep it close so you can visit & envision it's possibilities. Focus on what's most important: you, your health, the MRS., your family & the homestead!

I'm not real close, but close enough, if you set a date, and need a hand for a day or 2, heck 3 or 4, I'd be honored to help in anyway I can. Been a lead framer, lead trim carpenter, lead hardwood flooring installer/finisher, hung windows, doors & cabinets. Been known to roll roofing felt, & hammer down a shingle or 2. Tractor service isn't anywhere near the book that has my resume in it, :), but I could certainly give it a shot. Painted a fair amount of interior & exteriors on a few houses too. I am willing & able to do anything. And have for many a short period of time. I might talk your ear off asking resto questions, as I have been slowly getting up to speed & ready to tear into my FireFlite w/ vigor! So clearly, you won't want to hand me a grinder or any 'glassing supplies & turn me loose in your garage, but I'd be willing to attempt that under your tutelage. I like the way that sounded, my 1st glassing work on SOMEONE else's boat! Yep, thats good! :) Like learning to paint on your neighbor's fence! :)

It would truly be my honor to pay it forward for you, as you have so graciously done here & elsewhere, and have probably been doing your whole life.

I bet if you put a schedule of needs/wants for your homestead &/or project boat needs. there would be enough of us here & other forums you frequently post to & help newbies with, to string together a massive workforce 1 or 2 at a time for quite a long time, a day or two at a stretch.

I have repeatedly offered to contribute to your charity fire truck project, and darn ya, ya won't take me up on it! Your doing the heavy lifting for that project, let us help w/ a few of the pieces. Tell me/PM me or I will come up there & force you to let me buy the red paint, the white paint or vinyl/decal for the logo'd script, or the shipping to the family the wins the auction. It's been awhile, so I can't remember if it needs new tires or not, those are a possibility too ya 'BIG' hearted goof. If I have too, I'll provide the air to spray the red paint!

Let us lend you a hand, you've gone way out of your way to lend a hand, an ear, or a vintage part many, many, many times! Please! And No(!), I am NOT AFRAID to beg!

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52809

quite a post..
Attachments:

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52830

John--From what little I know, I would wrap up the Herters (after all, there's no wood so less to weather, and it needs a lot of work, plus you know my special affection for them). I would also wrap up the Devil Ray, because it's just too cool to get rid of, and apparently you and it have a lot of warm history, but it too is a big project), and tackle the Jet D'ville at a leisurely pace, since that's your wife's favorite and because it will give you a sense of accomplishment when it's done, but especially because it sounds like it will take the least work. I bet by the time it's done, you might be relishing a project like the Devil Ray.

I'm sorry to hear your nephew sort of punked out on you. When I was young, I would have given my eye teeth to have someone show me how to work on neat boats. Nobody in my family was so inclined, so at 13 I taught myself and spent all winter building a Minimax hydroplane from Popular Mechanics plans (while hobbling around in a cast due to a broken foot, BTW). It's sad to say, but sometimes I think kids today just have it a little too easy--easier to get a thrill playing a video game than out on the water in real life.

I'm too far away to offer any onsite assistance, but I would sure be willing to toss a few bucks into the firetruck project, or anything else you might need. Like the previous poster said, I don't think anybody ever got hurt paying it forward, and I would be honored to contribute.

Shannon

Shannon

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52831

John, I have been sitting hear for the last few days reading all the post that people have been sending you. So I thought that I may as well say something also. You did my horns for me and they turned out great and they will be going on the Explorer next yr. Color was perfect. As for you wanting to toss in the towel You picked the best time of the yr to think about it. Its getting colder out and it is harder to do the boats in the cold. As I no longer have my big shop I to must face the fact that a small underheated shop is not going to cut it.It is hard to keep alot of irons in the fire when ones health is not 100%. or even 75%. I know as I am in pretty rough shape myself. I found the best thing to do is just find one project to do over the winter that does not require to much effort. In the spring is the time to think about getting started on a boat. Its easyer to look at the project and feel good about working on it when the sun is warming your face and things are getting greener outside. Keep one boat, tarp it and wait to spring to get a handle on it. I have to rest up most of the winter if I want to make it through next summer.Alot of us are getting to the point of not getting better, just alittle older. I am lucky that I do have about 6 friends with teenage boys and girls who really want to learn about boats and rebuilding them. Makes doing the dirty work and cleanup easyer.So in short take it easy this winter, don't worry about the boats,Rest up for the spring and even if you don't like it, listen to your DR.You need to feel good to be good. And we all know you like to feel and be good. So take care and everyone and everything here on the forum will he great. Skip.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52851

Yep, listen to your doctors & the MRS. That's why they both get the big bucks! :)

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52853

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow jb that is quite the post,as ron says,its very darn nice of you to volunteer to help with the house project,"shipster" sent me an email saying the same thing.
you all dont know just how much its appreciated,but i will get it,just slowly,lol.
but that doesn't mean you cant stop by someday for a visit,and alot of boat talk.
as soon as i am able to kneel down on this knee,i will start putting in the floor for the room.then do the rest of the inside.

as for the firetruck i bought the red already,but it does need tires,lol,send me your email,mine is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
and as far asking me alot of questions,thats no problem,if i am able to answer any of them,lol,lol.
if new folks read this thread ,they will see just what fantastic people there on this site,and the are a whole lot of them.thank you jb and all the rest of you from the very bottom of my heart.

shannon,you and i have exchanged emails many times about your herters and other boats,and i have been happy to be able to help when i can,i enjoy it very much.
you said in one of your emails that you dont have enough skills to take on a big boat restoration,and i have to disagree,you have the passion,or should i say the addiction.
and there are alot of great people here to help you with it as you go.

thank you for offering on the firetruck,alot of fg members have already done so much,but im sure i will need more help,i will email you as soon as i get a chance.

skip,thank you im glad your happy with the horns.
and i know exactly what your talking about ,not having heat in the garage,i have 2 electric oil filled heaters in it,but it put my electric bill way up.
its time to save for a propane plaque wall heater with a thermostat so i can keep it above freezing.
after i get the inside of the room done this winter,alot of my spring will be taken up by putting faux stone on the outside,a little at a time as we can afford it.

but thanks to you all i will work on one of these boats ,it just might take a little longer,lol.

my wife is very good help,and ed and my father in law helped me a whole lot last year framing out the room,so it wont be too bad to do,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52854

i was really looking forward to working on it with him,but oh well he is 16 and "in love",i guess i might have done the same at his age.

At 16 that boy has one thing on his mind and you cant blame him, I still predominately have that one thing on my mind :lol:

If you quit the work your health will run down hill faster,
"Use it or Loose it"

John maybe consider running an ad for part time help working on your boats and in trade give the helper one of the Classic boats in return and you may make a new friend

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52876

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, I'm new here also. And I would consider you a major part of the success of this forum. I also agree with MadpProps. Keep active!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52878

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,i might be able to get my neighbors boy to help with the boat, his dad asked if i would paint it for him, i would custom paint the camaro that he bought the boy for free as long as all i had to do was the masking and spraying.
i told them to sand it and have it ready come spring,if they do it right it should only take 2 days,im going to paint it red with black stripes,with red ghost flames in the stripes.
and thanks for the compliments,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52882

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi John,
I have to chime in. First although I have the same sentiments as everyone else, if it is the right decision for you I support you in that, a tough one for sure. It's dreams that are the toughest to decide against doing.
So, I live in New England, Massachusetts, and this is the toughest time of year, particularly for us boat idiots. Dark and Cold. It's all work and no progress just getting stuff ready to hunker down for winter. I feel overwelmed at times and am mad that I continue to add to the list of boats to do with ones still awaiting attention, just adding to the sense of hoplessness and stupidity of it all. The good feelings of finding a gem, bringing it home with good intentions can soon get swamped in our limitations. I get it, we all do. Wait till Spring, let yourself HEAL. Don't put pressure on to do something NOW.
Just pare the herd down and you will feel the weight lifted. All the boats you have you have for a good reason so, pick a dream and go with it. Go with a slightly larger one so when done, you can share a boat ride with others. Don't worry about a pretty trailer either.
A trick I learned is to make progress even if it is as simple as an hour and do it every week. Rather than setting a goal of pulling the transom or stringers or whatever in a day, just work away for an hour, in a week or two it'll be done,one hour at a time. Progress even in small increments builds and put's your mind in the right place. It takes me a few years to get a boat done, that's OK, set your sites on the result, not boating next summer, when done it'll be a treat for countless years.
I know you know all this but I hope it helps to hear you are not alone, got lot's of support and people who care here when one of us is down.
By the way...where the heck are you guys in NY and how come we don't get together and vintage boat somewhere???
Randy

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52884

us northeasters boat in n.y. every year..SILVER LAKE ..last year also in Keuka Lake,Hammondsport.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52917

Randy, I'm in CT and there are others in MA and I think someone from RI. Some of the AOMCI get together at Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Webster occasionally. No reason we can't all meet there at some point.

.....Now back to the thread.

John, I'm glad you've decided to stay with us. Let your body tell you what you can do. Relax and enjoy it. Don't let it stress you.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52928

I love Keuka Lake, it's a great little Finger Lake, and the state has a beautiful campground there with a really nice boat launch. ACBS's Wine Country Classics meets in Hammondsport on the south end of the lake every 3rd weekend of July. We have already made our campground reservations.

Frank

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #52984

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
John,I know I'm a little late to this discussion and I'm not as acquainted with you as a lot of these folks, but I'm glad you have decided to stay in this hobby (with a little lighter workload). I feel it would be a real shame and a great loss to this site and the vintage boat hobby if you did decide to get out of it. Good luck with your projects and I wish you the best of health. jim

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53024

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you randy,todd and jim,your posts very important to me as are all the other great guys and gals.
i will give it one more spring/summer,and hope it works out,john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53027

John
Similar thoughts have been "floating" around in my head for some time.
I to, have good intentions
My skill sets allow me to "think" anything can be accomplished.

Used to be, many projects of old got stalled due to the lack of proper tools
Now I have them. Yet, somehow along the journey of their acquisition,
I got old "er"

Many things I could do all day, bring forth significant pain,
within an hour, or so.
I have drugs for that, and sometimes, I take them.
Other times, I let the pain run its course, until I can't take it, anymore.
Then, go do something else.
A nap, perhaps.

Mortality, is a funny thing.
As I've "grown" physically weaker, my mind and spirit, have become stronger.
However, not strong enough to add more hours to the day:
to add disposable funds to finance the current project list,
to find additional work space,
to encourage someone to work along side of me and learn one hell of alot in a short amount of time.

Therefore, I find myself, torn between what I "knew" I could do,
and what wisdom suggests, will get done.

There are many voices that beg attention, both within, and without.
There is only one worth listening to.
Often the hardest to hear, to heed.
Yet, the "one" we know, we need to.

with highest regards
lar

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53033

And this is why I only take on 26 projects at a time.......

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53040

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yes lar,me too,whats bad for me is im just 50 ,i know that sounds old to the young folks but to me its still young,lol.
my biggest problem is that i dreamed i could work on a boat ,plus work on the house,and i did that for the last 3 years.
but i am having to look at what i can really do,i have to get real about it,i will give my nephew one more chance this spring and if he doesnt show up then im putting one of my boats in the garage.
of course after i get the firetruck and 1940s stroller project done and eds boat water ready.
then i can work on the room and one of my boats.

i am sure alot of you all are also in the same boat(pun intended,lol),where you look out and realize that you will never get them all done.john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53051

Lar sure wrote what I know and think. John you sure found a common chord with a lot of people. My shop sign says " I work by myself but I am not alone". Merry Christmas, Dave

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53073

John, sorry to hear about your health issues. As one of the "younger" guys here (29) I know I have learned a great deal in reading your posts and look to the experience you share with all in the fiberglassic community. Just wanted to let you know that my family and I are keeping you in our prayers and wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53116

Slow it way down, BUT keep a project going at all times, at your own pace!

To totally stop, cold turkey, would be very bad on your health and your attitude.

We all enjoy you and your expertise very much, and I look forward to reading an e=mail or two from ya every day!

If I can help or do any thing for ya that is within reach, just let me know!!

ALSO HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Jim Savage

Jim Savage

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53127

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks to you all,i think my main problem is more mental than physical :S ,lol
and merry christmas to you all,also
john

---Mark Twain

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53131

John when I had to retire I had problems dealing with the fact that I could not keep the pace anymore. All the long days and body abuse had taken their toll. I feel useless yet. I try to do things I can't. But I TRY and I do things but not as fast. I'm holding my world together best I can on my meager income. Staying busy is a major part of overcoming these problems for me. When life gets me down I do something. Right now I'm making walking sticks. I cut the wood myself last spring thinking about winter. One is a crooked piece of driftwood. I'll post a few pics when I'm done. I have a cane to match with a real 8 Ball as a head. They may look like a set. I made the cane too when I was down with my new knee. I was hunting deer once and twisted my back. I could barely walk and was a good three miles from home with no phone. I broke off a stick to use as a cane. It laid in the furnace room in a corner for years reminding me of how that little chunk of wood helped me when I was feeling real pain. Say I'm silly but I kept that crooked stick and one day a Good customer was throwing out an old set of pool balls. I took the eight ball and made a head for my crooked stick. I think it looks wonderful and have gotten plenty of compliments on it and it's looks. I was asked several times to sell it. I'll keep my old stick, they can go out in the woods and find their own.

Re:it's time to quit 12 years 9 months ago #53170

Remember. One boat or project at a time. :laugh:

It is hard to do.

But you can do it if you put your mind to it! :S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online