Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Registration blues

Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52256

As some of you know I aquired a 61 Elgin runabout with a running 59 Mark 78AE for free. I have found documentation tracing ownership from the california owner to the person who 'gifted' it to me. Then the signed form transfering the boat to me. The Mo DMV now told me that since the missouri owner did not apply for a title before he gifted it to me, that it now can never be registered or titled in Mo. I really 'fell in love' with this little boat, and was looking forward to restoring. By the way, the last CA registration had a CAZ prefix. That means a 'homebuilt'? Must have been Elgin kit that they sold in the 60's? I thought I read somewhere that Missouri homebuilts are registered if over 16 ft. This one is 14. Well, open for ideas to overcome thing snafu. Maybe give it to someone in a less restrictive state, then buy it back? Would like alternitive ideas thrown my way. THX Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52262

Im certain some of the guys have used Wisconsin online titling & registration once the title arrives then title in your state
I belive you only need a hull id number or previous registration id number

I got this link from a thread in here they were all skeptical but posted excited about being successful or I would not have saved the link

wait for confirmation from a couple of the guys that received their titles

jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/wihf_ivrs/app/goHome.do

Re: Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52269

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Aznative,

I am very sorry to see another state is as screwed up as PA. We suffer badly from the BS being so deep in the minds of the Fish and Boat Gestapo. I have tried to work with these people only to get innnovative on getting boats registered. PA did not title boats until 1989 (I believe)and now the powers to be believe that every boat has a valid title accompanying it when its sold. They fail to see that many boats were never titled and a fair amount of them never even registered, as they were used on private lakes and ponds. There is no mechanism in place to overcome the dilemna legally, so they force honest citizens to become "inventive".

Good luck with your issue. I hope clearer minds and better sensibility comes around for you.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52273

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
aznative, i picked up a 61 elgin fiberglass runabout this spring, just for the elgin trailer. the boat was toast and got scrapped, after i pulled of the hardware. i'll check with the po and see if he still has the regsistration for it. we do not have titles here in minn, so it would be just a reg card. if that would help. frog

Re: Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52274

I had the same situation in North Carolina where I live. I was able to get mine registared calling it an abandon boat.I feel lucky, it only took a short letters/note from the owner of the land the boat was found/stored on and the correct form. Good Luck with yours.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52280

First Thanks all I appreiciate any help. And Frog I do have a Cali registration card assigned to ,Call him #1. #1 signed off and did gifting paperwork to #2. #2 signed off to me and signed a gift form, also Bill of sale for $0. And all the numbers and signatures match. LOL You government. Online Registration site...COOL Thx Mad, keep me informed. All this when I'm taking off to Berlin on Wed. for the holidays, to see old friends. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday season. Bless all. Will check mail and say hello to all Jan 5th, when I get back. And again thanks for your interest and commradeship. Daniel

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52282

First Thanks all I appreiciate any help. And Frog I do have a Cali registration card assigned to ,Call him #1. #1 signed off and did gifting paperwork to #2. #2 signed off to me and signed a gift form, also Bill of sale for $0. And all the numbers and signatures match. LOL You government. Online Registration site...COOL Thx Mad, keep me informed. All this when I'm taking off to Berlin on Wed. for the holidays, to see old friends. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday season. Bless all. Will check mail and say hello to all Jan 5th, when I get back. And again thanks for your interest and commradeship. Daniel

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52288

Seems the wisconsin site will give you a registration....Missouri will only accept a missouri title to transfer title . I have "acceptable proof of ownership" Just not a Mo title that never has existed. Silly stuff. So forewarned.... if you buy a AZ boat from a guy in MO, who owns it free and clear. Make sure he applys for a title before sales papers. Missouri will only exept a Mo title to transfer.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52290

Seems the wisconsin site will give you a registration....Missouri will only accept a missouri title to transfer title . I have "acceptable proof of ownership" Just not a Mo title that never has existed. Silly stuff. So forewarned.... if you buy a AZ boat from a guy in MO, who owns it free and clear. Make sure he applys for a title before sales papers. Missouri will only exept a Mo title to transfer.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52292

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
So they really are the "show me" state.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52306

I would contact the Department of Revenue (who I believe is running the show) and tell them you are buying at boat from CT (or other non-title state) and ask them about the registration procedure. Sell the boat to someone in that state, have them register it and then buy it back and register it as an out-of-state boat.

If the WI thing would work, great. Even easier.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52307

Minnesota does title boats. Over a certain length it is a requirement. But ANY boat can be titled in Minnesota if desired by the owner, no matter the length or age.

Andreas

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52350

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
i stand corrected, frog

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52352

Thanks again all. And Frog I was not trying to correct, just explain my circumstance. Might sounded a bit rough, I am a bit irritated. Well, I'm flying out for the holidays. Back in 3 weeks. Well, again thanks all. I appriciate all help. AND hope all have a very happy holidays, best of health in the comming year. Merry Christmas all

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52353

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Us Wisconsinites only require a registration card for boats under 16' anything over they title but even that is not hard. Fill out the paperwork, send it it along with the fee of course and in a few weeks you get the documentation. It's all about the money... need I say more.
If you mail me with an address I will pick up a few forms and send them to you. Once registered here all you need to do would be to transfer. WI does not require a trailer reg for smaller units.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52354

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
aznative14, i did not mean that to you, it is just that i do not happen to know all the rules of boat ownership here in minnesota. i do have another life , besides boats. and iam sorry if i ever steer anybody wrong. frog

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52362

THX Sabre. I will send you a letter. Everyone else: I viewed a few videos on youtube showing get togethers with fiberglassics.com in places.....Keep in mind, Table Rock Lake in the Ozarks (SW MO) is a great place..... Just wait till I get my boat in the water, so I could join y'all. LOL

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52544

I used the above link this morning to register my 1960 FireFlite. I'm in WV & listed boat as being in WV not Wisconsin. And I had registration, but it was 2000-2001 season, in NY. Had sellers name, guy i bought it from never did anything w/ it, and didn't change registration into his name. Oh, it was listed as the wrong year & length.

The online stuff couldn't have been easier. If you aren't in Wisconsin, you have to add yourself w/ SS# then add a boat under your name, answer a few questions & lay your money down & we're off. I used minimum values for purchase & as an out of state buyer, I didn't have to pay sales tax. There is no indication that I will have any problems, but I will post any info as I get it!

Thanks MadProps!

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52559

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I did this for my 13 foot Utility racer, Papers all came in about 2 weeks look legit. I havent tried to transfer to NYS yet. But I dont think it will be an issue.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52574

stash, did you get a title & registration or just registration. WV may want to inspect it before transfer can be completed. So fingers are crossed! :)

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52578

I bought my boat in Minnesota and registered it in Wisconsin where I live. I just had a registration card and a letter from the previous owner as a bill of sale. I have a 17 ft '59 Thompson and the woman at the DNR said it was up to me if I wanted to get a title or if I just wanted to have a registration card as proof of ownership. I couldn't see any benefit at the time to spend the extra money to get a title. I have renewed the registration since and haven't had any problems yet. I would imagine if there were going to be any problems it would be when I sold it to someone else, which I have no plans to do .
Bill

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #52584

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Due to the Length 13' its only a registration. But the Registration came and the stickers for the boat as well as a new registration number very easy. Most unsecure seeming site ever didnt really want to leave my info there.. but no issues so far and its been about 9 months since I registered it.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #53860

Well, my reg #'s came in, I took them to the DMV & I need to have a cop come & see the boat & fill out a form & I will get a WV reg# & title in my name. And done. I do need to get the trailer touched up & wired, before the inspection. Or hide the trailer somewhere FAR from home. The DMV wants the trailer to be inspected for registration when the cop comes to do the visual inspection on the boat.

Not easy, but could have been way more complicated w/out the Wisconsin reg in my name....

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #53876

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Did you ever get the WI reg papers I sent?? Don't know if they were any help but it was worth a shot.
Cal

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #53883

I filled everything out online, but no I didn't get any paperwork from ya.....
Couldn't have been easier! :)

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #53895

• Steve G
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Just putting it out there ,why cant you register your boat in Wisconsin put reg stickers on your boat from Wisconsin and have your home state on the WI reg ? And drive your boat in whatever state.

Re:Registration blues 12 years 9 months ago #53898

That is exactly what I did, except for the operating it in WV part. But moving forward, I want it titled in my name. And currently that is somewhat problematic, in WV. Untitled (or NEVER titled, even if because it is shorter then 16' or under XX lbs total w/ trailer) out of state purchases can take forever because there's only 1 guy to cover the whole state.

WV has the same requirements for trailers, so out of state purchases can be a problem to register.

Now that it is in my name in Wi, it is SO MUCH easier, & well worth the $22 I paid Wi.

Hard for them to 'prove' sometimes, but most states have strict requirements for registration & taxes if the boat &/or trailer spend a certain percentage time or more then 60 or 90 days operating in their state waters. Wi is collecting money from me,for very little effort or expense & since I won't be in Wi or using their waterways, it's like free money & they are all to happy to take it. :P

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online