• Page:

TOPIC: Sea King builder

Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52207

• Hugh Long
  • Hugh Long's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a '64 14'Aluminum Sea king runabout. my understanding is that they were built by Starcraft. Is this so? Now I just bought a '65 15' Fiberglass Sea King runabout. Who were the builders? ( I know Wards didn't have a boat shop :))Well maybe they did.
Thanks for any help. Hugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52216

No, Monkey Wards did not build their own boats or outboard motors. In the 1959-60 time period they had fiberglass boats built by a combined effort of Span America Boat Co. and Fort Dodge Boat Co. both at Fort Dodge, Iowa. Not sure who Wards used in the mid 1960s.

Andreas

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52220

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Maybe if you could post some pics of your 'glass SeaKing Hugh, the fine folks here could help identify the true mfg.? (Please forgive my ever failing memory if you have already done so.)

Mark

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52227

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
GUYS,: Here is a 16 ft Sea King 1964 ? package that was offfered to me last month.. I decided to buy the Glasspar G-3 pkg that was right along side this one in east Tenn.. However this White glass had nice thick Taylor windshield.. Dashboard hardware dual plate , rotating compass. One of those desirable rear Nav George JETSON flag poles.. & a West Bend built 50 hp motor , dual cyl ,/ one carb. Pointy lower unit.. Farmer would like $200 boat & motor , said in running cond.. Needs to kep trl. ! I know - hard sell. Had CALIF Reg #'s . ?
.......... Side Lapstrake pattern has the curved / check mark design. ? ...........

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52233

starcraft built the early 60s seakings,at least i know the the 1963s and 64 fiberglass were built by them,the easiest way to tell is how the lapstrake drops down towards the front,john.p.s. there are catalog pics of the 63 and 64 wards boats i sent in to the library.
1964 seaking if you look at the boat between me and the trailer tire ,hopefully in this bad pic you can see how the lapstrke drops down.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52251

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here is the photo of mine. It does have the lapstake lines dropping down. I know it is a 1965 S/K Standard model (red) with bench seats. So maybe the maker was Still Starcraft built like my '64 tin boat.Not a big deal but as I intend to rework and run this boat next year I just want all the info I can get for my files. Also it is a genuine Wards trailer of the same year. One think I have never seen before is the crank that lowers the spare tire to lift the tounge off the hitch.
THANKS Hugh

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52252

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I sure would like to have that West Bend outboard.

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52265

by the way hugo its nice to meet you,in 1963 seaking motors were made by gale,it was the last year for gale motors,but most parts from johnny/rudes will fit them.
i am not sure who made them before or after that,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Sea King builder 12 years 9 months ago #52270

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Nice to meet you John, I got into vintage outboards 2 years ago and joined AOMC and learned a lot about outboards. Have had over 50 pass through my hands since. Most small motors. Just in the last 8 months I decided to get into boats (bigger then 10ft) and larger motors. At this time I have about 22 outboards, The only larger ones are my wife's boat 1970 Glastron with a 1970 Evinrude 60hp. My 64 aluminum S/K has a 30hp '56 lark. This new Sea King has the option of a 400 45hp '60 merc or maybe the 500 50hp I have. Although I really like the 2 Mercs, The Evinrudes and Gales are preferable to me. Easy to make them run good and low cost maintenance.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online