Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Situation... DOOMED!

Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52105

Hi, I'm stuck! Check out my post in OMC forum. I'm just feeling sorry for myself and need a kind word. I know that things could be worse. I feel like someone took my puppy.
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/18-jegos-place/52090-sad-news-25-lbs-in-2.html
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52111

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Gee whiz Phil, sorry to hear about your motor problems there! As the professor stated I believe, the oil injection system malfunction bites another one it sounds like. I'd at least pull the motor down far enough to check it out and find out why the compression dropped in #2. As he stated, might be something fairly simple?

Although a power head rebuild or replacement is a bunch cheaper than buying a new motor, I think I'd want to change to a "mix your own blend (oil/gas)" setup. May not even be possible with those newer motors, I don't know. Time to do some investigation IMHO.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and keep us posted. ;)

Mark

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52112

For some reason I like the hand mix better too. Once it is in there and you know the mix is right then that is one thing less to worry about. Years ago I traded for a Yamaha Blaster with the auto injection system. It was a pretty new machine just over a year old that had already been rebuilt because the oil injector quit. He took it off and mixed his own. Thing ran strong when I sold it. It was a 200 cc bored out as far as it would go and had a bunch of speed parts on it and it would haul.The abused factor was as high as the fun factor. I sold it before I got hurt. That was about 10 years ago. I think a tear down is in order. It may be simple.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52114

It is not possible to mix gas and oil on these !!!
I have seen a number of these motors abonadoned on the scrap pile.----Dealers strip the easy to sell stuff off them and the rest is recycled.
Know of a friend who had to buy these motors from OMC to maintain " dealer status " and refused saying " my clientelle does not need these , nor do I want to ruin my reputation "
lost his dealership status and has not regretted it one bit.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52117

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Ouch. That hurts.

Oil injection is great when it works- Much cleaner, since it only uses what it needs. But, if they have problems, OUCH.

As to what to do- If you have this one rebuilt, what's to stop it from happening again? I'd find out if this is one of the 'problem' motors out there... If they have a lot of problems with them (which I suspect they do) I'd think that you would be better off moving on to a different motor.

Get a nice OLD one that doesn't have all that extra crap on it :)

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52146

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Professor wrote:

It is not possible to mix gas and oil on these !!!

I had a hunch that was going to be the case, you know the bad "gut feeling" thing. Is that due to fuel injection or what? Anyway, as R.L. and Andrew stated, I'd be inclined to go with something you can run pre-mix with Phil, I'd have to shy away from the auto-blend systems if it were me. Many times you can actually pick up a good used outboard cheaper as part of a boat, motor, and trailer package and sell what you don't need. (So I've heard, anyway! :laugh: )

Mark

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52149

It's not only oil injected, it's fuel injected which was going to be the only 2-cycle allowed on Lake Mead after the first of the year. That's why I bought the motor in the first place!! Otherwise a "tower of power" or a torque-filled OMC would have worked. Thankfully, they just are going to ban the carburated jet skis. Old outboards will remain for now. Thanks everyone for your advise. I guess I can just start ripping into it and see what happens.
Phil........... :angry:

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52155

No mixing of gas and oil possible.
These machines are totally different and do not have a carburetor !!
They are a 2 stroke designed to run on straight gas !!!
Most 2 strokes are oil injected but gas and oil are either mixed automatically or oil is injected into the fuel / airstream after the carburetor.
These " ficht " engines have air flow measured by a throttle body.
Oil is injected at various points in the crankcase to lubricate bearings and pistons. ----Straight gas is injected into the combustion chamber after the ports are closed.
Wonderful concept, but if something goes wrong it is usually time for a new motor.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52164

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
professor wrote:

No mixing of gas and oil possible.

These machines are totally different and do not have a carburetor !!
They are a 2 stroke designed to run on straight gas !!!
Most 2 strokes are oil injected but gas and oil are either mixed automatically or oil is injected into the fuel / airstream after the carburetor.
These " ficht " engines have air flow measured by a throttle body.
Oil is injected at various points in the crankcase to lubricate bearings and pistons. ----Straight gas is injected into the combustion chamber after the ports are closed.
Wonderful concept, but if something goes wrong it is usually time for a new motor.

With that set up, even if you did dump some oil in the gas, it would just make smoke. It would not get lubrication where it is needed.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52171

About the first thing that BRP did when it took over Evinrude was to dump the FICHT system as it was burying the company in warranty claims and bad publicity due to blown powerheads. They put the E-Tech design into production as fast as possible to stop the bleeding, so far it seems to be working out pretty well for them.
Al

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52185

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
PHIL. I read you other info / comments over on the OMC board, & had a long phone talk with my son , as he was a Dealer certified Tech from 1999.. The 1st Generation FICHT 1997 - 1999 did have initial tolerance build problems, & yes warrenty coverage was a partial way for owners to go. He said 2000 was actually a GOOD year.. & now your motor has been running for 11 years.

The breakdown in CYl #2 could be a basic cyl " O " Ring gone bad.
2) A Fuel Injector Lean out.. or 3) less likly LIFT PUMP.
Seems like a BORE OUT would be mechanically needed. .Next recommendation would be to send ALL Injectors to D.F.I Tech to calibrate all... Shop repair maybe $1,500 to get this motor re-life. . None of these 3 could have been dashboard monitored with a sound alarm of some sort..

E-Tec from BRP in 2003 was a better product as they had Better Injectors, which were MORE RE-FINED.

Hope this helps.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52208

Thanks again for the info. Hey Split, there were no alarms and still none sound. Can you check with your son to see if there are any special tools involved other than a good way to lift the powerhead off the mid section. I think I can make a powerhead swap myself or "with a little help from my friends". There are some out there for around $700. I heard that the early ones were really bad. This one had all the updates and always worked well. Gotta make room in the garage now. Too much crap!

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52272

Well I have an 89 Mariner Clsssic 45 with "Auto Blend" First thing I did was to take away and mix my own . B)
Attachments:

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52294

You can not mix gas and oil on one of these
" ficht injected motors "
It is a 2 stroke engine designed to be injected with straight gas.

Re:Situation... DOOMED! 12 years 9 months ago #52295

Once I get the garage completely re-arranged I can twist some wrenches. It will be like moving a pile of stuff to one place and then picking it up and moving it again. Thankfully trash is picked up twice a week.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online