Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gel coat or paint

Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51102

I recently aquired an 1961 Elgin Runabout Model 6-6852. In cleaning it up, a red is showing through the blue. I wanted to restore it to original, but it now seems this would take a 'pretty penny'. What is your opinions on restoring to original (gel coat), versus a good paint job correctly done? I have allways hated to see model T's chopped and the like. Love the classic things, would not want to ruin. But would love to get this on the water next spring. Did I mention I'm poor?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51107

Not knowing what type of paint is on the boat now, but it would be easier to just repaint the boat. and more than likely cheaper.
to gel coat you would have to strip all of the paint off. anything other than polyester based products would cause problems with the gel coat. so the primer would need to be polyester based as well.
I personaly only use gel coat on my boats. if you do decide to go that way i will give you al the tips i know
Mike

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51113

I'd have to say that if your going to repaint it, I'd still strip the old paint off so you don't run into problems later, like it peeling off due to the underlying paint peeling. Of course, if after stripping the old paint off, you find the gel coat really isn't that bad, you may be able to wet sand, rub and polish it back to its glorious old self. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51119

I think I did not make myself clear, or I don't know what I'm talking about? The finish is the original, no paint. I can see red showing through after I cleaned the boat with detergent and a nylon scrubber. I thought this was the underlayment of fiberglass or a primer showing through the gelcoat color that is original? I will take better pics and post them here. Thanks for your patience, as this is my first boat and I know nothing about fiberglass.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51120

I think I did not make myself clear, or I don't know what I'm talking about? The finish is the original, no paint. I can see red showing through after I cleaned the boat with detergent and a nylon scrubber. I thought this was the underlayment of fiberglass or a primer showing through the gelcoat color that is original? I will take better pics and post them here. Thanks for your patience, as this is my first boat and I know nothing about fiberglass.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51128

there shouldn't be a primer under the gel coat. just gel coat then the glass lay up. sometimes if the gel coat is a light color some shops will back up the lighter gel coat with a darker gel coat so that when they are rolling the air out of the glass you can see the air better. But with out seeing the boat its had to say what your red color is. it could be that the resin that was used to lay up the boat had a red tint to it. Or if it was in a tight inside corner of the mold they could have used a red colored gel coat paste to help the glass to lay into the corner so as to not have air bubbles under the glass. that the blue gel coat would break out of
In a open molded fiberglass boat ( or any part) you spray the gel coat into the mold, let it set up, then you apply the fiberglass ontop of the gel coat.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51143

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Some pics of the area you're talking about would probably help the gang figure out what you are dealing with, AZ. No worries about being new at this, we all had to start somewhere, right!? Working on a tight budget is also a familiar deal with many of us. With a little help, that will make you a very nice little runabout, IMO.

There are also some great articles (some with pictorials) on gelcoat and painting in the Research tab in the tool bar at the top of the page. Good info there and it will help familiarize you with both processes. ;)

Mark

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51226

Thanks all for your input, and help. I took a couple of pics of the red and the cracking. Over all she is in good shape, just a bit of weather wear. I am not refurbishing for resale, will keep her for a reason to get out. I was thinking painting as a way to protect from future weather. I did finally find a prop, an original mercury for the Mark 78AE. Should give a speed at 5500 rpm of 45. Will load pics, and thanks again
Attachments:

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51228

Thanks all for your input, and help. I took a couple of pics of the red and the cracking. Over all she is in good shape, just a bit of weather wear. I am not refurbishing for resale, will keep her for a reason to get out. I was thinking painting as a way to protect from future weather. I did finally find a prop, an original mercury for the Mark 78AE. Should give a speed at 5500 rpm of 45. Will load pics, and thanks again
Attachments:

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51242

hi az,nice to meet you,from the pics,it "looks" like your boat was originally red,and was painted blue at sometime,but sometimes its still hard to tell even with pics.
i would try to do what bob said on a small spot ,just to see if the red buffs out,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51331

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If it was painted there might be some tell tale areas under the dash or under the seating or under the motor well that are still untouched. If those areas are red you know the original color.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51348

I'm with the guys that it is blue pain over red gelcoat. I had the same situation on my Tomahawk. The previous owner had a Maaco paint job done and initially looked OK. Then I started the stripping.........
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51352

not to change the subject but my mantaray was painted by Maaco 7 years ago, and still looks like the day it was done today. theres no better method than having the paint baked on. :
Attachments:

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51384

Thanks all again for the info. I will try to buff out ther red and see what it acually is. I guess if I paint new, I would have to reduce the 'coatings' down to a good base to start with anyway. I recieved the prop in the mail today, an original. It is in good shape, no nicks and the mercury number is very readable. It is in better shape at 53 years than I am at 49. :-) I am going to start a new thread, see if anyone knows about titling a vessel with limited documentation. I do have a Cal certificate, released to a guy 30 miles away, who sold the trailer ( with boat) from whom I recieved it. I did some internet detective work, and got a 1 year old address, cell phone number. I will try to find him this weekend. Again, thanks for all your help. Hope I can contribute in the future to others here.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51385

Thanks all again for the info. I will try to buff out ther red and see what it acually is. I guess if I paint new, I would have to reduce the 'coatings' down to a good base to start with anyway. I recieved the prop in the mail today, an original. It is in good shape, no nicks and the mercury number is very readable. It is in better shape at 53 years than I am at 49. :-) I am going to start a new thread, see if anyone knows about titling a vessel with limited documentation. I do have a Cal certificate, released to a guy 30 miles away, who sold the trailer ( with boat) from whom I recieved it. I did some internet detective work, and got a 1 year old address, cell phone number. I will try to find him this weekend. Again, thanks for all your help. Hope I can contribute in the future to others here.

Re:Gel coat or paint 12 years 10 months ago #51387

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd be willing to bet, based on the photos, that is paint over red Gel-Coat... Wether you choose to gelcoat or paint, I'd take it ALL off, to avoid compatibility issues down the line. There is nothing worse than putting on a nice coat of paint, only to find it bubbling and peeling later.

Good luck on the paperwork. I know it is a royal PIA in some states- Virtually impossible in some!

-Andrew

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online